Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to buy my pot from a guy that lived in one. Hassle to get in and out. I wouldn't move to one.

"Gated community" sounds like an invitation for every criminal around the block. Hell, I bet if you would set one up in Germany it wouldn't take a year before an east european gang shows up for a visit.

So safety is no argument for me, in fact I believe that being surrounded by lesser protected property is the most effective way to avoid being robbed -unless the gated community employs an armada of guards and not just fat Joe at the gate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    The vast majority of the upper class communities in my area are gated communities. What are the people who live in gated communities like? Are they more conservative? Or are they rich elitist liberals.

Why don't they want to socialize with other Americans?

I would prefer an America that is more united and trusting of each other.
    Well gated communities aren't upper class at all. There are many middle class ones as well. A Gated community general serves a few purposes. They focus on keeping homes in the area in a certain condition, they pay for additional security. and they usually have public amenities like pools, basketball courts, or a community center. The people who live in them pay a premium for these additonal services so when the time comes to sell their house they get a better return. They also keep thhe riff raff out. You might think you are being noble by soccilizing with other Americans untill they steal your shit or basically cause your shit to be worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Rather live in a gated, white, upper-middle class community than in a similar house surrounded by TriHards
    Why exactly do they need to be white... unless you're just racist. Are you racist and that's why you rather live just around white people?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Conservative? Try again. I've been a heavy opponent against the right. My post history proves it.

Most suburbs are self sufficient, where as big cities are not.
    lmfao this is a joke. Then again I guess I can't expect you to have too good of an argument when you literally messaged me calling me a nigger... people like that tend to have difficulty with critical thought.

Suburbs take up a lot of space... they spread out instead of building up leading to more roads being built leading to people having to travel to get to things they need... which leads to cars being most important... jobs aren't in suburbs which means in order to actually have a job and work you absolutely need a car... cars are debt machines... it has gotten to the point where you have suburban slums where people can't afford to live in better cities and instead live out in suburbs where it is more expensive and inefficient.
    Last edited by Themius; 2017-07-25 at 03:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Why exactly do they need to be white... unless you're just racist. Are you racist and that's why you rather live just around white people?

- - - Updated - - -

lmfao this is a joke. Then again I guess I can't expect you to have too good of an argument when you literally messaged me calling me a nigger... people like that tend to have difficulty with critical thought.

Suburbs take up a lot of space... they spread out instead of building up leading to more roads being built leading to people having to travel to get to things they need... which leads to cars being most important... jobs aren't in suburbs which means in order to actually have a job and work you absolutely need a car... cars are debt machines... it has gotten to the point where you have suburban slums where people can't afford to live in better cities and instead live out in suburbs where it is more expensive and inefficient.
    Every high tech job I have ever had was in a suburb, and you couldnt pay me enough to live in a multi-story multi-family housing unit in the heart of a city.

I'd love to move to one. Less annoying solicitors, trying to sell me Jesus and such.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I generally am against gated communities and HOAs due to unreasonable restrictions placed on what you can do with your home, but I could see benefits - maintenance, security, usually newer construction (which means less long-term issues like crumbling foundations, dry rot, etc).

Most important to me in finding a house are school district, decent size lot, proximity to job/daycare/etc, actual house itself. I figure I can always tear down and build the house I want if it comes to that, but I can't conjure up a good school district or teleport to work, so location is the most important thing. I could deal with a tiny lot if there is a park nearby (my kids need to be able to play outside) but I'd prefer not to be on top of my neighbors if at all possible.

That and not having people drive 50mph while texting right in front of my house would be nice. My neighborhood has a good school district, and my house is literally 1/4 mile from the Atlantic, but everything else about it is pretty terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a home built in a gated community; it was a nice bonus and not something we looked for.
    Another bonus is that every street in the neighborhood is private, so we don't have to worry about salesmen and shit wandering around when the gates are open.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I would rather have land in the country than live in a gated community. Gated communities are similar to being in protective custody in a prison.
    That doesn't make a lick of fucking sense.

It makes sense because a gated community is essentially a protected area in a dangerous part of a city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazan Julio View Post
    It means gtfo we can afford it and we don't have to put up with outsiders.
    Life experience tells me otherwise. Living in a gated community doesn't necessarily mean you can afford it or better off than others. Ive seen a lot of people who were struggling that lived in gated communities.

OT:

I'm neither for or against them. Some are nice. Some look like hell to live in. Some are simply areas that require keycode access to get in, others require residents to live under ridiculous HOA rules. The ones that always get to me are the ones where the houses are like 4 ft away from one another...might as well live in an apartment I guess. Or the ones where the gates never closed...whats the point?

I stayed in gated apartments for a little bit. The area still had sketchy people. Only place where my car was broken into as well. Stupid community rules that you had to follow. Realistically anyone could get into the complex if they waited at the gate long enough, and this place was behind 2 gates...

- - - Updated - - -

TriHard is retarded meme speak for black people. Its a blatantly racists comment.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

plus side, they tend to come with variety of amenities like playgrounds, gym, pool etc. at least the decent ones. downside - so.... many.. rules.... i can see why some people may want to live in one, but I'm not one of those people. not because of any elitism or stuff like that. but rather.. because I hate being told what i can do with the place i live in. I have dealt with that long enough when we were renting, I'm done now. i like being able to hang pictures without asking if I could.

we actualy looked at couple of houses in a gated community. the place had a certain appeal, in terms of almost feeling like you live on a resort grounds and the price was affordable. but mother of god, the rules... THE RULES.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Life experience tells me otherwise. Living in a gated community doesn't necessarily mean you can afford it or better off than others. Ive seen a lot of people who were struggling that lived in gated communities.

OT:

I'm neither for or against them. Some are nice. Some look like hell to live in. Some are simply areas that require keycode access to get in, others require residents to live under ridiculous HOA rules. The ones that always get to me are the ones where the houses are like 4 ft away from one another...might as well live in an apartment I guess. Or the ones where the gates never closed...whats the point?

I stayed in gated apartments for a little bit. The area still had sketchy people. Only place where my car was broken into as well. Stupid community rules that you had to follow. Realistically anyone could get into the complex if they waited at the gate long enough, and this place was behind 2 gates...

- - - Updated - - -

TriHard is retarded meme speak for black people. Its a blatantly racists comment.
    Oh so they are just being racist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Every high tech job I have ever had was in a suburb, and you couldnt pay me enough to live in a multi-story multi-family housing unit in the heart of a city.

You can have a house or tow home in the city...

I like the idea of suburbs. They're just stupid though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many rules and stuffy people with sticks up their ass for my taste. Much rather live with open land. Safety is cool and all but if someone is really determined your gates aren't going to stop them and gated communities just scream "please rob us we have really nice stuff!"

Sounds like something where they keep their elderly so they cannot wander off while telling said elderly it is to keep out noisy kids.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    "Gated community" sounds like an invitation for every criminal around the block. Hell, I bet if you would set one up in Germany it wouldn't take a year before an east european gang shows up for a visit.

So safety is no argument for me, in fact I believe that being surrounded by lesser protected property is the most effective way to avoid being robbed -unless the gated community employs an armada of guards and not just fat Joe at the gate.
    fat Joe at the gate can be pretty effective with minimum surveillance equipment, on top of keeping the entrance checked. A few well placed cameras, and knowing the people you are working for and their habits, you can pretty much spot anything out of the ordinary within a small community and be efficient in calling the police.

You don't need a SWAT team to significantly increase safety. Most break-ins are from petty thieves looking for quick cash to get their drug fix. You just need a hurdle to make it annoying enough so they go somewhere easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh so they are just being racist.

- - - Updated - - -

You can have a house or tow home in the city...

I like the idea of suburbs. They're just stupid though.
    Suburbs are much nicer to live in than a major city. The best is a stand alone city of about 50,000 though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    fat Joe at the gate can be pretty effective with minimum surveillance equipment, on top of keeping the entrance checked. A few well placed cameras, and knowing the people you are working for and their habits, you can pretty much spot anything out of the ordinary within a small community and be efficient in calling the police.

You don't need a SWAT team to significantly increase safety. Most break-ins are from petty thieves looking for quick cash to get their drug fix. You just need a hurdle to make it annoying enough so they go somewhere easier.
    Security guards at these places ask themselves, 'what would zimmerman do' before they go mall cop.

IMO, it signifies a society that has fallen, or is falling, apart. If anything, it signifies that the inhabitants in there do not want to have anything to do with the rest of society.
    It also is an indication that the local authorities cannot guarantee security for its citizens.

Gated communities have already arrived in Sweden, and they're coming to Denmark and Norway soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    IMO, it signifies a society that has fallen, or is falling, apart. If anything, it signifies that the inhabitants in there do not want to have anything to do with the rest of society.
    It also is an indication that the local authorities cannot guarantee security for its citizens.

Gated communities have already arrived in Sweden, and they're coming to Denmark and Norway soon.
    In the US it's more an indication that whites don't want to live with the coloureds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

i lived in a gated apartment complex for about 4 years, that was about as close as i got to a "gated" community

my sisters friend lives in one down in boca raton florida, full of streets with other mansions, its pretty wild, went there a few times to hang out and party.. i felt really poor being surrounded by that many rich people