Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Banard View Post
    Although I no longer use XP, XP is far better then the shit Microsoft makes now in this "cell phone every one is connected world of ours". Soon will have windows 365 and you have a monthly subscription/annual subscription just to use you PC.

Consumers need more OS choices and big games need to support more OS choices.

- - - Updated - - -

no..windows 10 is garbage. I want a PC not a ^&*%^*&%* cell phone.

And the future is going to get worst and worst.
    Then don't make it a cellphone. All the pre-installed apps are easy as hell to remove. You can bring back the classic start menu.

I went from 7 to 10 and i have had 0 problems with the OS. No driver issues and im using usb devices which almost predates usb. Aka old as shit. Works just fine.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It is the fastest way to do this.
    How fast, using linux, can you accept the fact that OS doesn't matter? I can do it instantly on windows.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course you have to. Unless you have given up on your privacy forever. The whole operating system is full of spyware, bloatware and adds. Why would I want to use that ? I can't think of a single reason...
    "Given up privacy" ... I don't understand.

Do you really think Windows is taking any privacy you already had? Far from it. It's like saying you're eating healthy by drinking diet coke, while gobbling burgers. Any privacy you are worried about with Win10 is long not an issue.

Besides, even if it was... Really? What 'info' is 'someone' getting thats so secret? Nothing. Literally.

Unless it's a case of "Its my info and I do with it what I want"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

Do you really think Windows is taking any privacy you already had? Far from it. It's like saying you're eating healthy by drinking diet coke, while gobbling burgers. Any privacy you are worried about with Win10 is long not an issue.

Besides, even if it was... Really? What 'info' is 'someone' getting thats so secret? Nothing. Literally.

Shit people share sooo much info on places like facebook already, what microsoft is getting is barely more than what they give freely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Shit people share sooo much info on places like facebook already, what microsoft is getting is barely more than what they give freely.
    The thing is this.

1) Is it REALLY something to worry about? Is your computer specs and program usage and learning algorithm info dangerous? Enough to make you worry about it? No.
    2) A person will never actually see any of it. it goes into aggregated databases all managed by systems.
    3) You really don't need to do much to remove the stuff you don't want (the things that actually matter). It takes all of 5 minutes, once, to remove most of it (ads, settings, etc). Anything more than that is just paranoia and being paranoid. News sites did a damn good job of spinning the media into a frenzy over 'tracking' and 'spyware'. I hate the fact that there's crap media even in the technology industry.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Now I'm hungry....

But yea, privacy is a weird issue, some people REALLY don't like google knowing they're in Jonesboro, AR.... like really.. is MS/Google/Yahoo going to bust your door down and try to sell you squeegees?

Edit: Hell, anything that makes my life easier i'm all for, things like location services and keystroke learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I guess it's a question of principle: why should I need a third party program to disable ads and spying baked into the Operating System itself? There shouldn't be any in the first place. Yeah i realize that anyone with a smart phone has that too, but that doesn't mean I want to tolerate it on a desktop OS.
    Win 7 had almost all the same reporting that Win 10 does. And you couldnt disable it unless you knew how to manually remove them from the registry - if you even knew, because it didnt tell you it was doing it, unlike 10.

And all that stuff, particularly the adds? You can disable it all during the Win 10 install. Just dont choose the quick setup, and take the 20 seconds to go through and toggle everything to "no".

Super tough.

- - - Updated - - -

It is the fastest way to do this. There is a reason Microsoft is trying to copy everything Linux does in the enterprise department. There is nothing that comes even close to the usability of Bash and the standard Linux tools. Not to mention that everything in Linux by design is a file, and every command that works with files can work with it. The possibilities of what I can do with these kind of tools are unimaginable.

I can literally intercept and record communication between processes and the Linux kernel. Think about how powerful this is. There is nothing like this on Windows and there will never be.
    Think about how utterly useless that is for 99.999% of people!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Think about how utterly useless that is for 99.999% of people!
    Yeah, but 99.999% of people only use their PC to watch cat videos on youtube and post them on facebook. Should I care about them ? No ?
    What 'info' is 'someone' getting thats so secret? Nothing. Literally.
    You are saying that my information is worthless, but if it was, Microsoft was not going to try so hard to get it. They are giving me a whole operating system for free in exchange for my personal information. Microsoft has finally arrived to the conclusion that information is extremely profitable, something that Google has known for more than a decade, but also something that most consumers still don't understand.

It's funny how many people here assume that they know better than me what information I have, how much it is worth and what Windows is collecting. Trust me, you don't.

There is literally not even one single benefit of me using Windows 10, at all. Not even one. Only negatives.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-26 at 07:05 AM.

you guys would be surprised how many people are still playing WoW on xp.

They're all botters, but still

10+ Year Old Account
    You are saying that my information is worthless, but if it was, Microsoft was not going to try so hard to get it. They are giving me a whole operating system for free in exchange for my personal information.
    That's the most backwards explanation I've ever heard. So because something is worth something to someone (even if its not you, nor affects you), then its your job to make sure they can't have it?

Like, seriously. What is the actual problem, besides "Its worth something to Microsoft", even if it isnt selling that info.

It's funny how many people here assume that they know better than me what information I have, how much it is worth and what Windows is collecting. Trust me, you don't.
    Honestly, you lost any credibility you have with that assumption. I'm not saying you're right, or wrong, but assuming that just classifies you as internet tough guy and little more in my opinion.

There is literally not even one single benefit of me using Windows 10, at all. Not even one. Only negatives.
    There are lots. They just aren't important in your opinion. Which is fine, but you'll have to upgrade eventually, some day (2.5 years, actually) when Win7 reaches EOES.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but 99.999% of people only use their PC to watch cat videos on youtube and post them on facebook. Should I care about them ? No ?.
    He was speaking of literally the rest of the world that isn't running business machines. The consumer industry has no use for it. While I wouldn't call it 99.99999~%, it's up there. Nobody has use for it, so nobody really worries or cares about what kind of use it is. You aren't everyone. You don't represent any particular group or cohort. While it's great you can make use of it, the rest of the world doesn't, and they're no worse off for it.

There are lots. They just aren't important in your opinion. Which is fine, but you'll have to upgrade eventually, some day (2.5 years, actually) when Win7 reaches EOES.
    No I won't. I will upgrade if I find an useful benefit. So far I don't see any.

Honestly, you lost any credibility you have with that assumption. I'm not saying you're right, or wrong, but assuming that just classifies you as internet tough guy and little more in my opinion.
    Why would I want credibility on an internet gaming forum ? And yes, you don't know how much my information is worth and how much I know about Windows 10.
    Hint (just one, you don't get more): I've been in the insider program since day 1 of the public release, September 30, 2014.

I've been recording and observing network traffic going in and out of the OS since before most people here have even heard of the existence of Windows 10.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-26 at 07:44 AM.

There's nothing wrong with Windows 10, it works just fine and is hardly any different from Windows 7 (the start menu looks a bit different but still very easy to navigate).
    How about stepping out of 2001 and upgrading? It makes perfect sense why they'd stop supporting older versions of their OS, barely anyone uses em.

Deleted
    I facepalm myself every time I hear someone is using Windows 10. Just remove that malware from your machines and wait for a new version hoping Microsoft will change their policies regarding privacy of users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Who is honestly still using Windows XP or Vista? I mean i know somewhere in the world that may be someones only choice but these OS are ancient now.
    Going to guess some people in Latin america who play the game. Wouldn't be surprised if the Ragnaros server loses 1/3 of its population with this change.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Versions of windows seem the same as WoW expansions. Everyone is an expert on the subject and can tell you why whatever the most current iteration is the worst in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    Versions of windows seem the same as WoW expansions. Everyone is an expert on the subject and can tell you why whatever the most current iteration is the worst in history.
    Not at all. 7 to 10 are still supported and will still run the games. Vista and XP soon won't and are both unsupported. Simple facts of the matter.

If you are still on XP or Vista for gaming then that is on you. Why should Blizzard have to adapt to you using an OS that is in the minority and unsupported?

10+ Year Old Account
    No I won't. I will upgrade if I find an useful benefit. So far I don't see any.
    Just because you don't see any doesn't mean there aren't. When you stop getting windows updates in a couple years, let me know how that works out.

Why would I want credibility on an internet gaming forum?
    Because if you spout nonsense and have no credibility people have no reason to believe you?

And yes, you don't know how much my information is worth and how much I know about Windows 10.
    Hint (just one, you don't get more): I've been in the insider program since day 1 of the public release, September 30, 2014.
    Eh. I'm done with your peen waving.

When you stop getting windows updates in a couple years, let me know how that works out.
    Why would it work any different ? I've mentioned before, the Windows 7 VM is used only for gaming. Not to mention that I'm blocking the majority of outgoing/incoming traffic on the OS level and then everything is routed through pfsense (google it) with the appropriate firewall configuration.

You've shown over and over again that you have no idea what I'm talking about and you skip the more technical parts of my posts on purpose.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-26 at 08:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Going to guess some people in Latin america who play the game. Wouldn't be surprised if the Ragnaros server loses 1/3 of its population with this change.
    I cannot say for WoWs audience, but i work in gaming.
    According to the data, about latin america, at my dispodal only about 4% users still use XP and about half a percent uses Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    I cannot say for WoWs audience, but i work in gaming.
    According to the data, about latin america, at my dispodal only about 4% users still use XP and about half a percent uses Vista.
    The usage share across the world for Vista and XP is less than 5% combined. Again if you are still using them for gaming it's time to upgrade. Specifically in this case.