Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you havnt already, when you do start, make a character on Ysera-Us, or Durotan-US.
    Contact any person in the guild <Undying> and ask for Curry (Thats me, duh)
    We are one of the oldest guilds on Ysera and while we wont necessarily hold your hands the whole way, we also wont be dicks about you being new.
    We do raid, but you DONT have to be a raider. We're also adults only and dont discriminate against anyone based on gender. sexuality, religion, politics, etc.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    It isn't too late, no. However, despite the free bost of a character to 100 with the purchase of the game, I'd advice to actually play a few characters, of different classes, to at least level 60.

Why? It will give you some time to get a good feel for each character and class, allowing you to experience how they are different and alike. You might start out as a Fury Warrior (melee damage), only to find out that you don't like that particular playstyle, and then switching to Destruction Warlock (ranged damage spellcaster). If you've already boosted your Warrior to 100, and don't like it, having to level your Warlock from 1 to 110 is going to be a pain in the proverbial backside.

So, in short:
    No it isn't too late, but you should take your time to experience more than just one class before deciding what you want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    Pff. Why bother starting a game if you are going to skip over most of it?
    b/c the game is legion not level 1. The level 1 is outdated and garbage and will not keep new players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KronosIII View Post
    Think.

You never touched the game before. You know nothing about it. You get a free level 100.

INSTANT overwhelming amount of abilities to learn and talents to choose from. Every new player I heard getting the free 100 is a disastrous experience. The game should really be started at level 1 as is designed. But the leveling experience is so dated and old.

You do realise there is "starting level" experience for new accounts with the boost right? The level 1 content is old, out dated and will not keep new players. The levelling xp is beyond boring.

Get a toon to lvl 15 and run dungeons to lvl it goes fairly quick if you have heirlooms and gearing up couldn't be faster between world quests and the catch up gear on the broken shore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazakov View Post
    Nah, everything that FF has WoW can do better.
    WoW is the best themepark MMORPG on the market there is no reason to go to a different one.
    FF has a less cancerous user base and the game is much more casual.

It's more up to date with realistic goals for playing and no huge races to down raids. Raids in FF are not difficult just enjoyable.

Less content than wow for sure but it is more up to date in how a modern mmo should be these days. It is also not a huge grind or any reason to min/max like top players do in wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazakov View Post
    Nah, everything that FF has WoW can do better.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nope.

Actually pretty much the opposite is true. The only exception is the transmog log.

WoW has at least two more xpacs left. That's four years worth of content plus what's remaining of Legion. So yes, in terms of time and whether or not it's worth investing it in WoW, its worth it.

As far as legion goes though, if you planned on being competitive this xpac then yes it's probably too late. It will take at least a month to get your toon caught up in item level, Artifact Knowledge, rep, etc. Then after that your level of play will hinge entirely upon which legendaries you get.

Chances are you get shitty ones with your first two, which have an increased drop rate. After that it's just grinding hoping to get lucky.

In all likelihood if you started tomorrow you won't get all your legendaries until after the next big content patch and at that point the gear will be useless for the most part since progression would be over for Legion by then.

But if you're super super lucky or if you're a Twitch streamer yoi could get your best legendaries in time for Argus.

Its not to late. It might take some work to catch up but its really not too bad anymore. I cant see wow dieing anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Yes. It's too late. You will not enjoy WoW as a new player.

- The questing feels disconnected
    - Classes have too many RPG aspects (which makes the game boring)
    - The story isn't coherent. You will NOT understand why you are where you are and what you're doing
    - The path to max level is boring overall
    - If you manage to reach max level, you will not have anything to do. There's a lack of content and patches
    - Endgame is extremely easy(personal opinion here)
    - The community is toxic towards new players and noobs in general
    What the fuck? Are you seriously whining about RPG gameplay in a RPG?

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    What the fuck? Are you seriously whining about RPG gameplay in a RPG?
    MMORPG. It's a modern one at that. It's supposed to trade RPG elements for more fast paced, action oriented elements.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nope.

Actually pretty much the opposite is true. The only exception is the transmog log.
    Debatable. But I'm not going to start some game vs game rubbish over 2 games I play that I enjoy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Debatable. But I'm not going to start some game vs game rubbish over 2 games I play that I enjoy.
    A shame. I do enjoy good well constructed debates.

A shame. I do enjoy good well constructed debates.
    More that I don't want to start game vs game stuff in a forum. No point.

Each game has their good points and each game has their bad points. Neither is better imo. That's all I will say on the matter.

I came back after almost 7 years (I played till end of TBC, then quit, then re-started in WotLK and quit just before ICC)

Good points on coming back:

1. A whole new game! I feel like I'm playing something new and since there have been 4 expansions since WoTLK, I am really enjoying the new content leveling wise. As every level is a new place so leveling itself is a lot of fun.

2. Lots of new stuff going on, a few examples like, no flying in Pandaria unless you pay 4 K gold, to give you an example. Also, new features such as in-game quest help without needing addons (thottbot ftw!). The way talents work has changed and in my opinion a lot more fun now than it was before. In short, way too much stuff to list here.

3. I am level 93 now and have enjoyed Draenor the most, although you might see more negative than positive about WoD in general. The new Garrisons concept is pretty cool and I'm enjoying this a lot while leveling.

4. Don't worry too much about reaching max level quickly as you will miss out on a lot of fun. In WotLK I max leveled as fast as I could and ended up missing a lot of stuff just to be able to raid, which was fun too, but soon died down.

5. I realized that raiding is only one aspect of the game, although the one area giving the best gear but by getting fixated on raiding we tend to just do other stuff with the rushed attitude and not actually enjoying it.

6. If you already have a character at 60 / 70 / 80, I would not boost that character, instead level that one all the way to 110 and save the boost for an alt. By leveling your main, not only do you get to experience some new stuff but you also catch up on the game in the process in terms of game play, having a decent amount of gold and usually finding your way around. If you boosted your character to 100 directly before doing this, you will end up doing it anyway, although in a lot less time, so level your main and boost an alt.

7. Join a casual guild with people who will answer some of your noob questions as you've been away a long time.

8. Other than the above, just have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by mindpsyche View Post
    I came back after almost 7 years (I played till end of TBC, then quit, then re-started in WotLK and quit just before ICC)

Good points on coming back:

1. A whole new game! I feel like I'm playing something new and since there have been 4 expansions since WoTLK, I am really enjoying the new content leveling wise. As every level is a new place so leveling itself is a lot of fun.

2. Lots of new stuff going on, a few examples like, no flying in Pandaria unless you pay 4 K gold, to give you an example. Also, new features such as in-game quest help without needing addons (thottbot ftw!). The way talents work has changed and in my opinion a lot more fun now than it was before. In short, way too much stuff to list here.

3. I am level 93 now and have enjoyed Draenor the most, although you might see more negative than positive about WoD in general. The new Garrisons concept is pretty cool and I'm enjoying this a lot while leveling.

4. Don't worry too much about reaching max level quickly as you will miss out on a lot of fun. In WotLK I max leveled as fast as I could and ended up missing a lot of stuff just to be able to raid, which was fun too, but soon died down.

5. I realized that raiding is only one aspect of the game, although the one area giving the best gear but by getting fixated on raiding we tend to just do other stuff with the rushed attitude and not actually enjoying it.

6. If you already have a character at 60 / 70 / 80, I would not boost that character, instead level that one all the way to 110 and save the boost for an alt. By leveling your main, not only do you get to experience some new stuff but you also catch up on the game in the process in terms of game play, having a decent amount of gold and usually finding your way around. If you boosted your character to 100 directly before doing this, you will end up doing it anyway, although in a lot less time, so level your main and boost an alt.

7. Join a casual guild with people who will answer some of your noob questions as you've been away a long time.

8. Other than the above, just have fun !
    #3 The leveling experience in Warlords was awesome! It was the lack of end game content that peeved a lot of people. All of your other points, I agree with! The leveling experience from Cata changed everything, so if you haven't played since then, it's a lot smoother and more fun than it was vanilla-WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeddemon View Post
    #3 The leveling experience in Warlords was awesome! It was the lack of end game content that peeved a lot of people. All of your other points, I agree with! The leveling experience from Cata changed everything, so if you haven't played since then, it's a lot smoother and more fun than it was vanilla-WOTLK.
    I stand corrected about Draenor then

No it is not. It is not to late to start playing Tomb Raider 1, Civilization 3 or Deus Ex 1 either.. Heck it is not to late to play Turrican 2, Wings or Pinbal Fantasies on the Amiga either..

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    MMORPG. It's a modern one at that. It's supposed to trade RPG elements for more fast paced, action oriented elements.
    WoW is not "modern". It's the last bastion of old school MMORPG design.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    WoW is not "modern". It's the last bastion of old school MMORPG design.
    No, it's not the last bastion of old school MMORPG you idiot.

One more thing, before boosting the alt, make sure to learn 2 professions as those also get leveled up.