Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Depends really. Don't you think already poor factory workers would revolt about the idea of a slave taking their job?

My point is that slavery and technology would not be compatible. At least not in the way slavery worked in the 1700-1800s
    I mean, they can try to revolt, but with the advances in tech and communications, it would be even worse than the original slave rebellions that were put down with horrific force.

If slavery was not abolished by the federal government, I believe it would still be in use today. General Motors, Ford, Apple, Samsung, etc would benefit immensely from free labor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I mean, they can try to revolt, but with the advances in tech and communications, it would be even worse than the original slave rebellions that were put down with horrific force.

If slavery was not abolished by the federal government, I believe it would still be in use today. General Motors, Ford, Apple, Samsung, etc would benefit immensely from free labor.
    Exactly. To say slavery would go away because 'technology' completely ignores the entire basis of US conservatism and neo-confederate ideology. They wanted to have a continental slave empire from Canada to Southern Argentina, with their titans of industry and political royalty as the only winners in society.

It would be great if they portrayed America as a high-tech utopia with prosperous white people living in harmony with their slaves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    It would be great if they portrayed America as a high-tech utopia with prosperous white people living in harmony with their slaves.
    HBO is not Rockstar Games.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Seems pointless.

If the Confederacy had won, slavery still would have been eventually phased out by the industrial revolution. House slaves would be phased out by the advent of appliances. The slavery piece is most pointless part of speculating what the US would look like under a confederacy victory.
    I agree with this. Slavery would have been phased out.

If anything, the show should just be what would happen if the US was divided in two. A world with a USA and CSA would change quite a bit of history in terms of world wars and similar things.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Yeah steam engine steel mill owners definitely would want to pay workers a wage in lieu of slave labor.
    And people that were scared to teach slaves how to read and write will teach them something more complicated than farming equipment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    I agree with this. Slavery would have been phased out.

If anything, the show should just be what would happen if the US was divided in two. A world with a USA and CSA would change quite a bit of history in terms of world wars and similar things.
    Then you have no have no historical knowledge of where US conservatism came from, nor CSA ideology based upon white supremacy and subjugation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    And people that were scared to teach slaves how to read and write will teach them something more complicated than farming equipment.
    Yeah, black slaves were never taught to use the cotton gin.

Then you have no have no historical knowledge of where US conservatism came from, nor CSA ideology based upon white supremacy and subjugation.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, black slaves were never taught to use the cotton gin.
    Because a cotton gin is the same as a car make line?

15+ Year Old Account
    Because a cotton gin is the same as a car make line?
    Lol, keep reaching trying to grab this mythical 'slavery can't work because technology bar', it's pretty fucking hilarious.

Knowing HBO, I think I'll pass the show until it's been out for 1-2 seasons at the very least... The premise is intriguing, but I find that reality trumps fiction on this matter... the slaughter of thousands of "freed" slaves after the war ended, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Yat-Yas View Post
    Sounds like it could be very cool with a lot of potential for interesting characters and stories. Unfortunately these days, the show will be constantly under heavy scrutiny whenever any character dies or is mistreated. Game of Thrones already gets shit for lack of diversity and when prominent female characters die.
    Huh... Game Of Thrones of all shows, receives flak for lack of diversity, when some of the most prominent characters are females and all characters show all sorts of traits regardless of gender...?

That's just downright silly, I have to say.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-07-28 at 04:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It must be depressing to live in a world where you see white supremacy wherever you look.

Lol, keep reaching trying to grab this mythical 'slavery can't work because technology bar', it's pretty fucking hilarious.
    I'm sorry. But at some point, no amount of slave whipping is going to get them to outdo machines. And they aren't going to teach slaves to use anything more advanced than farm equipment. Would some still try to squeeze blood from that stone? Yep. But eventually, they'll be outdone by one or two white guys using a reaper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Knowing HBO, I think I'll pass the show until it's been out for 1-2 seasons at the very least... The premise is intriguing, but I find that reality trumps fiction on this matter... the slaughter of thousands of "freed" slaves after the war ended, for example.

Huh... Game Of Thrones of all shows, receives flak for lack of diversity, when some of the most prominent characters are females and all characters show all sorts of traits regardless of gender...?

That's just downright silly, I have to say.
    The women have to be dark skinned. Otherwise, they're just white men with breasts and long hair.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    It must be depressing to live in a world where you see white supremacy wherever you look.
    No, just when talking about the confederacy, and the genesis of modern US conservatism.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry. But at some point, no amount of slave whipping is going to get them to outdo machines. And they aren't going to teach slaves to use anything more advanced than farm equipment. Would some still try to squeeze blood from that stone? Yep. But eventually, they'll be outdone by one or two white guys using a reaper.
    Nah, US conservatism and their confederacy uses slave labor as a means of practicing their Anglo Saxon interpretation of Christianity, to have physical evidence of their superior genes not to be diluted with subhuman toil, and a perpetual workforce subjugated to do as they wish, whether it be reaping, or in the hypothetical world where they weren't crushed and embarrassed by the United States Military, making iphones at the pleasure of their slave masters and state governors and politicians.

I think you're missing the point. Slaves don't need to outdo machines; you build machines that require people for operation. To use the example of an automotive plant, the workers operate the assembly lines. It's not like you can shut the lights off and let robots build cars by themselves.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    I think you're missing the point. Slaves don't need to outdo machines; you build machines that require people for operation. To use the example of an automotive plant, the workers operate the assembly lines. It's not like you can shut the lights off and let robots build cars by themselves.
    And again I say, are the people that were terrified to let them read and write are going to teach them to be factory workers?

That sounds like it could be interesting if done right. But if the show is set in current times and just focuses on slavery and America while ignoring the rest of the world and other aspects of the Confederates, it will be a bad show.

They will have their work cut out for them if they try to create a modern America that still has slavery. Because I would imagine even if the Confederates won the civil war there would have been more uprisings and wars. I can't see a unified 50 states America that still has slavery in 2017, no matter who "won".
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2017-07-28 at 05:11 PM.

dis gun be gud.

I like quality black acting.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    That sounds like it could be interesting if done right. But if the show is set in current times and just focuses on slavery and America while ignoring the rest of the world and other aspects of the Confederates, it will be a bad show.
    Oh god. Please let it turn out to be "Slavery: Today". Then it really will be nothing but an agenda show.

And again I say, are the people that were terrified to let them read and write are going to teach them to be factory workers?
    I'm guessing you've never worked in a factory. I have immense respect for those people, because I've run production myself, but believe me when I say an education is unnecessary for most positions.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

10+ Year Old Account
    They dont have to outdo machines. Do you think General Motors is all machine? What about Samsung? Do you think it takes some kind of engineering degree and deep understanding of physics to work on the assembly line at these places?

I'm honestly confused at people thinking that slavery would have naturally vaporize because we have telephones and tractors. Just by living in America and seeing how profit drives everything, even death, how could you guys think this? This is an honest question.

Check this out https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...soft-combined/
    Samsung has 250K + employees. What if 245,000 of those could be replaced with slaves?

Lets break it down. lets say, for arguments sake, 200,000 people working in Samsung assembly line plants across the world make 35k a year. Just 35k. That is 7,000,000,000 dollars in revenue back in their pockets annually. Thats like a montly payment of tax revenue from California. You guys are crazy if you dont think this would be a reality today had the south won the war.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2017-07-28 at 05:22 PM.