Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Some grade A douche bags there.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The posterchildren for the era in a number of rather depressing ways.

Deleted
    So, the kids have to deal with the debt now right?

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    This is typical in NYC.
    Make $1 million, but spend $2 million a year.

Why do they do that?
    They want to enjoy their life fully.
    $1 million a year is not enough.
    The notion that one can't enjoy their life fully on a million per year is pretty laughable. I'd suggest that someone in that situation has no idea how to enjoy life and that ten million or a hundred million wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The notion that one can't enjoy their life fully on a million per year is pretty laughable. I'd suggest that someone in that situation has no idea how to enjoy life and that ten million or a hundred million wouldn't make a bit of difference.
    agreed, I know of a couple with an annual income of 1.5 million dollars a year who regularly go to their parents to pay their bills. I never understood that mentality but some people will do anything to keep up with the Joneses

Postmodernist neomarxist intersectional social constructionist oppression-based doctrine is extremely depressing and nihilistic. It's no surprise that people are killing themselves because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    If they were cosigners they don't inherit the debt, they're just the only remaining parties.

They also don't INHERIT funeral costs, they get the privilege of paying for those if they so decide, but if they don't then the county can make arrangements because it isn't a third world shithole where corpses are left to rot if nobody pays. Also not a country where you can be forced to take care of a corpse if you don't want to.

Why do you comment on things you don't understand?
    https://www.newyorkestateplanninglaw...ntal-debt.html

they can be held liable for at least some of the debts. most - the estate would have to pay for, but some debts, including college loans? they can be held liable for. best case scenario for them is that they get a clean slate. no debt, but no money either. sure, they can leave their parents to be used as teaching cadavers or something like that. always an option. that also means they don't get a say of what is done with them. not exactly a rosy situation here. discard bodies of your parents? or pick up the tab.

in other words, i understand juuuust fine. and have NO sympathy for people who mismanaged their money to that degree and then refused to face the music, fucking over their kids in many MANY ways instead.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Seems a bit irresponsible to have children that late in life. Also, gross. Which is one reason I'll never get married. No matter how old I am, 45 is the absolute max, and only if she looks younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    so this is the third time I'm being quoted. yes they do. depends on a debt. credit card debts? no. mortgage? that just eats through whatever estate was left - but they also lose the house/ apartment that they mortgage was on. unless they were cosigners on a mortgage - in which case? they have to pay it off. some medical bills can be stuck on kids. funeral costs? absolutely on kids, unless parents made arrangements and doesn't look like they have. and if they borrowed from.. less then savory sources? yeah...
    If you don't want to be quoted, don't post. Also, debt that's taken from an estate is not "inherited" debt because the kids don't own the estate until whatever's left, if anything, is passed to them after all applicable accounts have been settled. Medical bills cannot be passed on to kids. And the kids get to choose what, if any, funeral arrangements they use if the parents didn't prearrange it.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    So, the kids have to deal with the debt now right?
    As was mentioned, debt is not inherited.

If it costs you 2 million to live and run a business and you only make 1 million a year, guess what, you are poor.

Not to say that any reason for these people to do what they did. But debt to income ratio doesn't care if you make 10m or 10k, if your debt is more than you make you are in trouble.

The posterchildren for the era in a number of rather depressing ways.
    What a shame, I remember when this story first broke, the narrative that they killed themselves because of Trump taking away their healthcare (somehow?) was actually being pushed. Now that their deaths can't be used to politically attack Trump, everyone is just calling them shitty people for what this will do to their children. I imagine that if they had been portrayed as martyrs for 'the resistance', things would have been much better financially for the orphaned kids.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Seems a bit irresponsible to have children that late in life. Also, gross. Which is one reason I'll never get married. No matter how old I am, 45 is the absolute max, and only if she looks younger.

If you don't want to be quoted, don't post. Also, debt that's taken from an estate is not "inherited" debt because the kids don't own the estate until whatever's left, if anything, is passed to them after all applicable accounts have been settled. Medical bills cannot be passed on to kids. And the kids get to choose what, if any, funeral arrangements they use if the parents didn't prearrange it.

As was mentioned, debt is not inherited.
    there reason I brought up being quoted, was becasue they KEEP quoting early post, without reading further where I already replied with SOURCES proving that yes, they do. not all of it, but some of it depending on circumstances and the type of debt.

A bit sketchy to me. Typed suicide note? I wonder who they owed money to. And now the real question: Why the hell does a 50 year-old couple have young children?
    My brother is 53. He has young kids as he didn't start having any until he was 40. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    A lot of people here jumping straight in with "they had options" without even knowing anything.

All you people literally know nothing and still can't wait to judge them and talk about how many options they had or how easily they could have saved themselves.

Not once did your amazing minds consider that "hey, maybe something we don't know or understand was causing this" or "This is really a tragedy and I'm curious to know more."

Trash people trolling the forums to feel better by judging people who should have been better off financially than yourselves.
    stop judging people

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't find a reason to live don't kill yourself, give it to someone else or a cause, volunteer to bring medicine and food to people in war torn countries. Become a bomb disposal technician. Voulunter to be a human experiment to cure disease. Go under cover by yourself and rat out some underground child smuggling ring.

I mean if you hate your life and want to die anyways, DO something or dedicate your life so you aren't a completely selfish prick in the end.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Reminds me of the short story "The Rocking Horse Winner".

Some people are accustomed to a certain lifestyle and cannot adapt outside that lifestyle...pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    If it costs you 2 million to live and run a business and you only make 1 million a year, guess what, you are poor.

Not to say that any reason for these people to do what they did. But debt to income ratio doesn't care if you make 10m or 10k, if your debt is more than you make you are in trouble.
    It doesn't cost you two million to live unless you have a spectacularly extravagant lifestyle. What I'm saying is that people who can't assemble a happy life for themselves on a million aren't likely to find that increased income would make much difference as their personality is such that they will always spend more than they make and never be happy with what they have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverb256 View Post
    Postmodernist neomarxist intersectional social constructionist oppression-based doctrine is extremely depressing and nihilistic. It's no surprise that people are killing themselves because of it.
    Hahahaa horse shit, less people kill themselves now than ever by proportion mostly because people have become whiny bitchy self important fucking wieners

I don't have any problem with it. As long as everyone is healthy and can adequately care for offspring. I met a man who was climbing mountains well into his 90s.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't cost you two million to live unless you have a spectacularly extravagant lifestyle. What I'm saying is that people who can't assemble a happy life for themselves on a million aren't likely to find that increased income would make much difference as their personality is such that they will always spend more than they make and never be happy with what they have.
    Yes but let say it was you Spectral let say you it cost you millions to live a life you been made accustomed, through no fault of your own. If you were suddenly forced out of that it would be no less cruel than someone who is accustomed to living dirt poor in a 3rd world country.

Yeah yeah yeah laugh all you might, YOUR pain is real to you, even if other people don't realize it, and it's better to consider that, than hand wave it.

Sure it seems upsurd, but it is reality. Nobody is going to feel obligated to live how others think they should NONE, at least not for long it's the human condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yes but let say it was you Spectral let say you it cost you millions to live a life you been made accustomed, through no fault of your own. If you were suddenly forced out of that it would be no less cruel than someone who is accustomed to living dirt poor in a 3rd world country.

Yeah yeah yeah laugh all you might, YOUR pain is real to you, even if other people don't realize it, and it's better to consider that, than hand wave it.

Sure it seems upsurd, but it is reality. Nobody is going to feel obligated to live how others think they should NONE, at least not for long it's the human condition.
    Yeah I am sure Spectral and everyone else in this thread understands why the couple is upset. I also understand how they got into the situation that they were in. Wanting to live the good life, spending addictions, keeping up with the Joneses. This is not unusual no matter one's SES.

The difference is the utter lack of perspective-taking. Who the hell commits suicide for maybe possibly having to live a middle class lifestyle for a few years? Hell they could have just saved up for a month or two and paid cash for a nice home in the more reasonably-priced parts of the country. Or just rented.

Most sane people in these sorts of situations realize that if they buckle down for a bit they'll be fine financially. There is a reason why we have bankruptcy courts. I am certain that this couple could have done several things to pay off the debt in a few years' time, and they could have gone back to living the same lifestyle (or something similar) to which they were accustomed.