Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Did Musk just hit a home run with Tesla 3?

You look at Musk and you think, it's too good to be true, a lot of what he talks about. We're an optimistic bunch here but starting a whole new car corporation from scratch? I was skeptical.

Reviewers are saying I'm wrong, the Tesla 3 is all you hoped for and more.

https://qz.com/1041862/tesla-model-3...-is-necessary/

Tesla Model 3 reviewers are in love: “Yes, the hyperbole is necessary”

It’s best in class (and maybe just the best)

The Model 3 feels like an automotive tipping point, writes Wired’s Jack Stewart. Tesla’s debut could mark the point at which almost anyone—not just Tesla fans and the environmentally conscious—could see themselves driving an electric vehicle.
    The standard $35,000 Model 3 (before tax incentives) has a 220-mile range, five-seats, and can hit 131 miles per hour for a price equivalent to the median US car price. The more powerful $44,000 long-range version can travel 310 miles on a single charge. At that price, Engadget’s Andrew Tarantola writes, “the Model 3 really feels like the car that will bring electric vehicles as a whole into the mainstream.”
    Motor Trend showered the Model 3 with superlative praise. “The Tesla Model 3 is […] the most important vehicle of the century,” the magazine writes. “Yes, the hyperbole is necessary,” it continues, likening the Alfa Romeo Giulia X’s performance to a “wet sponge” compared to the Model 3.
    Business Insider also did not hold back. “I’ve driven pretty much every other all-electric car you can buy, and I can safely say that the Model 3 has no competition,” wrote Matthew Debord. “There isn’t anybody who’s going to sit in the driver’s seat of this car and not want it, if only briefly. The Model 3 stokes immediate desire, and the lust lingers.”
    Fast, nimble, and wow

“The car sprints like an Olympic 100-meter champion,” raves USA Today. The $35,000 standard version hits 60 mph in 5.6 seconds with a top speed of 130mph (the upgraded version is slightly faster). The Model 3 has a smaller battery pack so it can’t perform the same theatrics as its premium cousins (an extra fast “Ludicrous” mode).
    But that didn’t seem to faze reviewers. High-torque electric propulsion means the Model 3 still has a significant acceleration advantage over internal combustion engines. Tesla’s engineers also apparently took advantage of the car’s low center of gravity (the battery pack fits neatly under the chassis) to give it crisp handling. “The Model 3 is so unexpected[ly] scalpel-like, I’m sputtering for adjectives,” sputters Motor Trend.
    Autopilot is awesome

The Model 3 comes with the same eight cameras, radar, ultrasonics, and plenty of computing power that the premium Model X and S offer. Although it costs more to activate Autopilot and advanced self-driving features, the car already has the ability to take over highway driving and other chores for drivers.
    Testing the semi-autonomous Autopilot, TopGear’s Charlie Turner called it “a system that still feels like witchcraft.” In what is likely to become a standard feature in many cars, the gear shifter has an extra setting: Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive— and Autopilot.
    So much interior

Tesla says it designed the interior of the car for the day when cars will drive themselves, and there’s no need for myriads buttons and displays. Appropriately, the Model 3 exterior feels “like a cockpit from the future,” says Mashable. The challenge was to provide expansive interior space, even as it shrunk the car compared to the Model S. “Subjectively it succeeded,” judges Motor Trend.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Electric cars are the only viable option in the future. If that means that Tesla can take the lead, I'm all for it. We'll see how Tesla 3 handle it in the long run.

And the price seems to actually be affordable.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

15+ Year Old Account
    35k, that's getting into the affordable range.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

That single screen in the middle seems like a bad idea. Car functions and other junk I'd like to keep separated. Seems like it be really easy to be distracted looking for your mph or remaining charge and pick something else up on that screen to look at.

Tesla autopilot in action

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Model 3 at this point makes any other electric car that's not a Tesla look like a god damn rip off. The longest mileage vehicle of any other manufacturer is the Chevrolet Bolt, which does a mere 383 Km on a single charge compared to the higher end Model 3 which does just shy of 500 Km on a single charge and the base model is still around 345 Km. The Bolt starts at 43k Canadian while the base Model 3 is the same price, prior to tax incentives of course, you'd be looking at around 30k for either car, the tax incentives on electric cars here is ridiculous, up to 14k for a fully electric vehicle. So you basically are choosing a sedan or a cross over utility vehicle. Why would you buy any other electric car than those two for the prices that most of the competition are selling them for? I'd still be wary of the Bolt because Chevy still has their heads up their asses when it comes to making quality cars, but I guess less moving parts means less chance for failure.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2017-07-31 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Did Musk just hit a home run with Tesla 3?
    Don't know.
    Don't care.
    I'm never buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Tesla autopilot in action
    That video had very little auto-pilot crashes. One of the crashes wasn't even a tesla...it was a toyota.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be better than us. Which, really, not a high bar to jump over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Electric cars are the only viable option in the future. If that means that Tesla can take the lead, I'm all for it. We'll see how Tesla 3 handle it in the long run.

And the price seems to actually be affordable.
    Not in the UK, where a lot of people cannot charge an electric car. How on earth do I charge an electric car from my 2nd story flat? The nearest charge point to me is the hotel at the bottom of the road, which there is ONE point which I cannot use. The next nearest is at a swimming pool 3 miles away, again with ONE charging point. Next one after that is 12 miles away. Unless they (the council, government or whatever) fit all the parking spaces at mt flat car park with one, there's no way for me charge it. And there's the fact that none of the parking spots are resident only, so ANYONE could come and charge their car there while I'm out......

So yeah, how is it the only viable option in the future when a good majority can't charge the car, or there's only one charge point per 1000 cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Not in the UK, where a lot of people cannot charge an electric car. How on earth do I charge an electric car from my 2nd story flat? The nearest charge point to me is the hotel at the bottom of the road, which there is ONE point which I cannot use. The next nearest is at a swimming pool 3 miles away, again with ONE charging point. Next one after that is 12 miles away. Unless they (the council, government or whatever) fit all the parking spaces at mt flat car park with one, there's no way for me charge it. And there's the fact that none of the parking spots are resident only, so ANYONE could come and charge their car there while I'm out......

So yeah, how is it the only viable option in the future when a good majority can't charge the car, or there's only one charge point per 1000 cars?
    You can charge your tesla from home. They're still useless for road trips however (long distance travel).

10+ Year Old Account

Obviously I assume that with the cars/vehicles becoming more widely available, charging spots will also become more widely available. There's really not that many electric car for the time being, so they're not a good investment. Assuming that Tesla 3 can gather a group large enough to kickstart the process, it's very likely that you'll see more charging spots.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Here's the charging stations now, he plans on doubling that in a year or two.

https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds...harger&name=us

I'm not thinking of buying a Tesla but damn, the guy sends rockets into space and then for an encore he creates a new car company from scratch.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can charge your tesla from home. They're still useless for road trips however (long distance travel).
    Did you even read what I typed? Re-read it and tell me I can charge it from home. Infact, I'll give you a pic of where I stay, I live in the blue circle area, then tell me I can charge it from home. Go on, explain how the hell I am meant to charge an electric car from my home in a safe way?

10+ Year Old Account
    K..... but where do you park? Right on the street?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    K..... but where do you park? Right on the street?
    And if you park on the street, how do you stop hoodlums from jacking your car?

Did you even read what I typed? Re-read it and tell me I can charge it from home. Infact, I'll give you a pic of where I stay, I live in the blue circle area, then tell me I can charge it from home. Go on, explain how the hell I am meant to charge an electric car from my home in a safe way?

You contact your landlord and Tesla about adding charging stations to the spots out in front.

Not sure what - or even if - any cost would be involved but Tesla has guaranteed things like free charging for life. At least for these first models.

I'd just like to know exactly how long it takes them to charge. That's going to be the real kicker regarding them for road tripping - at least in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post

I'd just like to know exactly how long it takes them to charge. That's going to be the real kicker regarding them for road tripping - at least in the US.
    Yeah I was thinking the same. Like twice a year we drive to Los Angeles, it's a bit over 500 mi so we'd have to charge once or twice which is find but if we'd have to sit in the car charging for 4 hours that's no fun.

-- Capt. Copeland

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Here's the charging stations now, he plans on doubling that in a year or two.

https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds...harger&name=us

I'm not thinking of buying a Tesla but damn, the guy sends rockets into space and then for an encore he creates a new car company from scratch.
    Wow I live near the only station in my city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    You contact your landlord and Tesla about adding charging stations to the spots out in front.

Not sure what - or even if - any cost would be involved but Tesla has guaranteed things like free charging for life. At least for these first models.

As per the website you can get 170 miles of charge in 30min. Which is a pretty long time but just do it when you grab lunch/dinner and you're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.