Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    That said, lets ignore the 40 hours if there is doubt about the source or the car model. Even the fastest option takes way too long for it to be practical if you intend to replace most cars with E cars - and only then would I call it a "home run", like suggested in the title.
    Hell, even 30 minutes is too long when I think about how long I already have to wait to fill my tank conventionally, especially during holiday seasons.
    The idea is that 98% of the population won't be 'going to the gas station' anymore, ever. The time doesn't matter. 30 minutes, 2 hours, 5 hours (not 40, because thats incorrect, and would actually be a deal breaker)

You leave home every day with a full battery. There is no '30 minute stop' anywhere because you get home and its full again by the time you leave. Is it not great for road trips? Sure, but that few and far between. It's not like people are travelling cross country on a weekly basis, and for those that do, there are plenty of other options to account for that. By the time the roads are all-electric that problem will be resolved anyway.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

No, anyone tgat actually drives any distance or any that doesn't like cheap american plastic shit cars. Euro and Japanese cars are just better in evey way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Tesla autopilot in action

Now lets take a compilation of cars with actual drivers behind the wheel.

I think you're just pointing out it isn't perfect right?

Because it would be interesting to compare the ratios tesla auto pilot accidents and number of Teslas out on the road, vs the ratios of the number of cars and accidents with drivers.

The error is always going to be human element. As more and more cars are able to connect to each other and the road... the safe automation will be. I have a suspicion that while not perfect (clearly as your video shows) it already is safer. Though I don't have any data and that is pure speculation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The Model 3 at this point makes any other electric car that's not a Tesla look like a god damn rip off. The longest mileage vehicle of any other manufacturer is the Chevrolet Bolt, which does a mere 383 Km on a single charge compared to the higher end Model 3 which does just shy of 500 Km on a single charge and the base model is still around 345 Km. The Bolt starts at 43k Canadian while the base Model 3 is the same price, prior to tax incentives of course, you'd be looking at around 30k for either car, the tax incentives on electric cars here is ridiculous, up to 14k for a fully electric vehicle. So you basically are choosing a sedan or a cross over utility vehicle. Why would you buy any other electric car than those two for the prices that most of the competition are selling them for? I'd still be wary of the Bolt because Chevy still has their heads up their asses when it comes to making quality cars, but I guess less moving parts means less chance for failure.
    Its because the auto industry has been fighting it tooth and nail. They make a token effort to produce 1 electric model for the entire fleet, and it always looks ugly as sin. They hit all the negative notes, ugly, costly, inefficient...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    35k, that's getting into the affordable range.
    Competing with the 3 series is hardly the affordable range.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Tesla autopilot in action

It is not a self-driving car. They are not marketing it as such.

It's advanced cruise control, it can swap lanes, apply brakes, take turns, etc - but it is not meant to replace a human driver.

So if you are an idiot, and you put the autopilot on in your Tesla, then bail out and film it drive down the street and crash, the mistake is not the Tesla hitting the wall: it's the jackass leaping out of his car with the cruise control on and acting shocked when it hits a wall.

Point the video camera at the idiot, not the car.

Tesla is working on self-driving cars, but so is every single tech company (263+, see below) - they are not yet marketing them to the public: that is not what you are watching crash into stuff, that is idiots leaping out of cars on cruise control.

Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-07-31 at 11:20 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Now lets take a compilation of cars with actual drivers behind the wheel.

I think you're just pointing out it isn't perfect right?

Because it would be interesting to compare the ratios tesla auto pilot accidents and number of Teslas out on the road, vs the ratios of the number of cars and accidents with drivers.

The error is always going to be human element. As more and more cars are able to connect to each other and the road... the safe automation will be. I have a suspicion that while not perfect (clearly as your video shows) it already is safer. Though I don't have any data and that is pure speculation.

- - - Updated - - -

Its because the auto industry has been fighting it tooth and nail. They make a token effort to produce 1 electric model for the entire fleet, and it always looks ugly as sin. They hit all the negative notes, ugly, costly, inefficient...
    Well, they clearly don't have the technology to make batteries like Tesla does. Not to mention most of the electric vehicles out there are still hybrids and not pure electric cars.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of people forgot, or just never really thought about, the fact that gas stations didn't proliferate until many decades after the first combustion engine.

If you're scared to get one because you "might run out of power on the road" then go ahead and stay scared. The rest of us will pave the way for you to travel later when there are supercharging stations as common as gas stations are now.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Don't know.
    Don't care.
    I'm never buying one.
    Your chariot awaits...

Hang on picture of your wife/gf incoming...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I wish I could afford a car.
    Well bicycles are good enough for short distances and help keep you fit. Better than nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Well bicycles are good enough for short distances and help keep you fit. Better than nothing.
    I'm scared to ride a bike because it's too close to the cars and I fell the last time I used one >.> <.<

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    It is not a self-driving car. They are not marketing it as such.

It's advanced cruise control, it can swap lanes, apply brakes, take turns, etc - but it is not meant to replace a human driver.

So if you are an idiot, and you put the autopilot on in your Tesla, then bail out and film it drive down the street and crash, the mistake is not the Tesla hitting the wall: it's the jackass leaping out of his car with the cruise control on and acting shocked when it hits a wall.

Point the video camera at the idiot, not the car.

Tesla is working on self-driving cars, but so is every single tech company (263+, see below) - they are not yet marketing them to the public: that is not what you are watching crash into stuff, that is idiots leaping out of cars on cruise control.

Have you even seen the video? It's not even what the OP says it is. Several cars in the video aren't even Tesla, and in most of the videos we can't even know if it was the fault of the auto pilot. The first part is mostly parking fails, where the person taking the video is like "LOL THIS GUY MUST BE USING THAT NEW AUTO PARK THING!" when he has no clue how to tell it's in auto park. There's a short segment where a guy is driving along a country road, a dear jumps in front of him and the Tesla doesn't brake in time... but hit the brakes faster than a human ever would. Regardless of whether the auto pilot was engaged, that deer was going to get hit, and the damage may have been much worse if it was a human behind the wheel and kept on going at full speed another 20 feet.

Then most of the rest of the video is just driving past wrecked Teslas where the person taking the video has no clue what happened.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    If you're scared to get one because you "might run out of power on the road" then go ahead and stay scared.
    Electric cars have no future until they can be recharged everywhere, without tools. If it can brick on the road, it's just a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Okay, so a few things.

1) Those are mustangs lol, literal shit cars, heavy, low power, and have terrible handling.
    2) The Tesla is an expensive, electric motor driven car, those electric motors have a shit ton of torque
    3) Put that against an M4 or a Porche in the same price bracket, itll probably be a little more even
    4) This is like those videos where the 1500hp supra "beats" cars on the road or in street races, pretty obvious they're going to win lol.
    It will do even better against an M4 and most Porsche's. That Mustang is a ten second car running nos etc. Tesla is bone stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Did you even read what I typed? Re-read it and tell me I can charge it from home. Infact, I'll give you a pic of where I stay, I live in the blue circle area, then tell me I can charge it from home. Go on, explain how the hell I am meant to charge an electric car from my home in a safe way?

[IMG]snip
    Ask your landlord to install you a electric outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    No, anyone tgat actually drives any distance or any that doesn't like cheap american plastic shit cars. Euro and Japanese cars are just better in evey way.
    Yes yes, US bad, Europe awesome. I have to keep remembering that the VW GTI in our garage, that at 45k miles, and has already had 3 potentially engine destroying issues be fixed under warranty, is the pinnacle of german engineering.

Or the decade of Porsche hand-grenade motors that they refused to actually do recalls for (IMS bearing)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    I think a lot of people forgot, or just never really thought about, the fact that gas stations didn't proliferate until many decades after the first combustion engine.

If you're scared to get one because you "might run out of power on the road" then go ahead and stay scared. The rest of us will pave the way for you to travel later when there are supercharging stations as common as gas stations are now.
    Today we learn that delaying the choice to switch to electric is done so out of terror rather than common sense. Do you read this horseshit back to yourself before you post it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It will do even better against an M4 and most Porsche's. That Mustang is a ten second car running nos etc. Tesla is bone stock.
    Can be done with a Chevrolet Volt also (on full charge).

Is the battery disposal still just as rancid for the environment? If so it's it just killing us off slowly in just a different way?

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Today we learn that delaying the choice to switch to electric is done so out of terror rather than common sense. Do you read this horseshit back to yourself before you post it?
    More of a monetary and ease of use issue currently.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    They actually HAVE the technology. In fact, they have precisely Tesla's tech. They made their patents open and free to use for everyone. It's all there. They'd just have to admit that they have nothing better to offer and start USING it.

But that's not all that's to it. I remember a radio talk where they said that Mercedes had (or has) a prototype based on the Model S frame and electronics, but their rendition of it made almost 150km less per full charge... Now, you can speculate for why that is, but I blame either incompetence or sheer lack of will. In the same segment they also talked with a business owner that ordered a dozen of some electric model from Mercedes. He got only 3 and then deliveries stopped. After asking for why that is and if he can still expect them to come for almost a year, he eventually got an answer with the help of media: They "unfortunately" had to shut down production on the model, as the factories were needed to fulfill the demand for conventional cars on the Asian market. If THAT doesn't give a clear picture, I don't know what would. Fuckers. (I am a German, but I grow some serious hate for our manufacturors here. Backwards, stubborn, criminal lobbyists. All of them. They NEED to be shaken up severely. The sooner the better!)
    Most of Tesla's vehicles are made of high grade aluminum (including the chassis itself), weight actually matters quite a bit in an electric car as far as determining range. They have one of the highest safety ratings of any car manufacturer in the world however, so it's really just a matter of trying to design vehicles using similar methodologies that Tesla is doing, the battery really isn't the be all end all. I have seen some of the brace frames they use in the Model S, the company I work for was contracted to manufacture brace frames for them, they ran it for about a year or two before Tesla bought the machines and tooling equipment and shipped it to the USA (from Canada). The parts are basically hollow, and even though they were fairly large pieces (about 4 feet long), they weren't heavy but felt super strong. The foundry who made them was using quality aluminum in their pours, rather than the shit that you see in a lot of GM engine blocks where there can be rampant porosity problems. Half inch thick aluminum wall but hollowed out inside made them ideal for an electric car. They looked like front brace frames because they were always machined in pairs, a left and a right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Can be done with a Chevrolet Volt also (on full charge).
    With how many mods? Volt is like 150hp.