Thread: Original Demons

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Original Demons

Hey, I just wanted to know if we have a list of the original demon races known so far, the one's born of the Nether, having never been mortal.

It's known a 100% certain that the Dread Lords are pure demons, and then I believe I've heard of Pit Lords as well. What about imps, fel hunters, succubi and the like?

Anyone able to point me to a list, or add to one, I'd really appreciate it.

Quick list of known corrupted demons:
    Eredar (Wrathguard)
    Moarg/Ganarg (Fel Guard)
    Satyr
    Fel Orc

Sidenote: Anyone want to see a male Sayaad, like an Incubus boss, or do you think it'll end up looking too much like Illidan?

10+ Year Old Account
    Void hounds, abyssals, infernals, nathrezim, and annihilan.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, Daglopp the Imp does say:

"There is a legend that some of our ancestors can be found on this world that are not part of the Legion. I bet they are boring." - so I presume he refers to the little fiends you see in, say, the starting zone for the Night Elves. So if that's true, Imps are certainly not part of the original demons.

Dreadlords & Pit Lords are the only confirmed pure demons. The chronicle seems to suggest there are more though, possibly Succubi.

Imps are corrupted Grell
    Doomguard are corrupted titan servants
    Infernals & Abyssals are constructs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Doomguard are corrupted titan servants
    The interesting about that is they didn't serve the titans. They only served Sargeras. "Titan" is singular.

Infernals & Abyssals are constructs
    Chronicle still counts them as demons.

infernals, fel hounds, annihilan, nathrezim, mo'arg, and wyrmtongue.

that's all i know of. not sure on shivarra or the new big dudes with lasers between the horns of their helmet, or whatever the fuck krosis was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Wyrmtongue demons might be an original demonic species native to the Twisting Nether, but I don't think we've learned enough about their origins to say for sure quite yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    infernals, fel hounds, annihilan, nathrezim, mo'arg, and wyrmtongue.

that's all i know of. not sure on shivarra or the new big dudes with lasers between the horns of their helmet, or whatever the fuck krosis was.
    Nothing conclusive on the Shivarra either. Krosus is an amalgamation of species, so I suppose he would also count as a construct (after a fashion). Not quite original one way or the other.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Wyrmtongue demons might be an original demonic species native to the Twisting Nether, but I don't think we've learned enough about their origins to say for sure quite yet.
    iks'reeged, the wyrmtongue you capture during that goblin chick's quest line, has a conversation about his birthday with her. he says "I was spawned into this wretched existence eons ago within the deepest realms of the nether."

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing conclusive on the Shivarra either. Krosus is an amalgamation of species, so I suppose he would also count as a construct (after a fashion). Not quite original one way or the other.
    where was that confirmed about krosus? i hadn't seen anything about it yet, was super curious about him. wowpedia just says he's a "doom lord".

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    iks'reeged, the wyrmtongue you capture during that goblin chick's quest line, has a conversation about his birthday with her. he says "I was spawned into this wretched existence eons ago within the deepest realms of the nether."
    Interesting, I never encountered that little bit of conversation between him and Karla. Although I don't know if it really answers the question since whatever his species might've been before becoming demonic, he would've spawned in the Nether past that point if it occurred before his birth as a demon.

- - - Updated - - -

where was that confirmed about krosus? i hadn't seen anything about it yet, was super curious about him. wowpedia just says he's a "doom lord".
    Xal'atath talks about the doom lords, of which Krosus is one, when you encounter him in the Nightwell.
    Xal'atath whispers: An interesting amalgamation of fel species. I wonder, are there more of its kind?
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Interesting, I never encountered that little bit of conversation between him and Karla. Although I don't know if it really answers the question since whatever his species might've been before becoming demonic, he would've spawned in the Nether past that point if it occurred before his birth as a demon.

- - - Updated - - -

Xal'atath talks about the doom lords, of which Krosus is one, when you encounter him in the Nightwell.
    oh, huh. never did nighthold on my priest, so i hadn't seen that. neat.

and idk, it says the same thing about how fel hounds were "spawned deep within the nether" so i assume the deepest reaches of the nether are where all demons spawn from.

Wyrmtongue demons might be an original demonic species native to the Twisting Nether, but I don't think we've learned enough about their origins to say for sure quite yet
    I believe Wyrmtongues are reimagined Gan'arg.

actually, when you use a certain summoning thing under the sentinax, little tiny mo'arg/gan'arg(can't remember which the tiny ones are) come out in a big group.

so wyrmtongue are just a new species.

Dreadlords, Pit Lords.

were Shivarra's OG demons???

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    oh, huh. never did nighthold on my priest, so i hadn't seen that. neat.

and idk, it says the same thing about how fel hounds were "spawned deep within the nether" so i assume the deepest reaches of the nether are where all demons spawn from.
    That is true, but it can be heard to disambiguate "true" demons (e.g. demonic species that were never mortal and always native to the Twisting Nether) from those who were converted into demons long, long ago. Both true and converted demons originate from the Nether and return to the Nether on death in the physical universe - true demons would've always done this from the point that their species came to exist, and converted species from the point in which the bulk of their races was Fel-tainted enough to qualify as demonic.

Fel Hounds, referring to the dog or wolf-like creatures that appear like skeletons bathed by Fel flames, would probably also be considered constructs. Felhounds (e.g. Felstalkers, mana-stalkers, felbeasts, Warlock minions) might be true demons, though; they don't reveal their origins like most of the other summons during the Codex of Xerrath interrogations with the Warlock's summoned minions. They might've been bred from demonic stock as well for specialized purposes. Not sure where they'd really fall in this debate.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought much the same, but as @derpkitteh said the Gan'arg appear to still be extent as a demonic species - they're just not seen anywhere since Outland in TBC except for their brief appearance in the Sentinax portal summons. I've been looking for any sign of them on the 7.3 PTR as well, figuring they'd show up somewhere on the Legion's adopted homeworld.

I thought much the same, but as @derpkitteh said the Gan'arg appear to still be extent as a demonic species - they're just not seen anywhere since Outland in TBC except for their brief appearance in the Sentinax portal summons. I've been looking for any sign of them on the 7.3 PTR as well, figuring they'd show up somewhere on the Legion's adopted homeworld.
    Well there was an early interview or presentation where Alex Afrasiabi directly referred to the Wyrmtongues as Gan'arg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Well there was an early interview or presentation where Alex Afrasiabi directly referred to the Wyrmtongues as Gan'arg.
    Can you link or find it? I'd be interested in seeing that, and wonder if it was an off-the-cuff remark or if it's been subtly retconned by the Sentinax events in 7.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The interesting about that is they didn't serve the titans. They only served Sargeras. "Titan" is singular.

Chronicle still counts them as demons.
    The wording on that makes it like the s and ' are simply misplaced as it doesn't make sense in that once he would have freed them they wouldn't have referred to him as a titan much less even at the time of the conversation demons don't refer to him a titan anymore. If anything it was a typo and it was in fact plural. Anything else makes no sense in the situation as to the wording.

actually, when you use a certain summoning thing under the sentinax, little tiny mo'arg/gan'arg(can't remember which the tiny ones are) come out in a big group.

so wyrmtongue are just a new species.
    Gan'arg are the small ones, Mo'arg the bigger guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post

That's and odd way to read that, I read it as prior to Sargeras having had gone and freed them the titans used them as a police force for arcane magic. Sargeras then freed them and used them as they are now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drattz View Post
    That's and odd way to read that, I read it as prior to Sargeras having had gone and freed them the titans used them as a police force for arcane magic. Sargeras then freed them and used them as they are now.
    That would be the case if "Titan's" was plural possessive as in "Titans'" or "Titans's".