Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Bosnia and "arabs".

I just came back from a holiday in Bosnia. Lovely country, lovely people, lovely nature. A country rich with history. A tolerable country where muslims, orthodox, jews and catholics live together in peace. My kind of country. Meat dishes, oh to die for. Theres just one thing: they seem to hate arabs. We've only been there for 7 days, so it could be anecdotical, but we traveled all across the land (mostar, sarajevo, tuzla, blagaj, etc.) and everywhere they were complaining about "the arabs".

Apparantly "the arabs" come on holidays and claim everything chasing locals away, being obnoxious and obteus to other guests etc. I recall while rafting seeing an arab couple not doing anything but sitting in the rafting boat with their child while two workers were paddling the 50 kilometers. From here it looks like they were just really spoiled and cocky.

However it got me thinking: how can it be that in a country where they figured out a way to have all religions live together, the majority still dislikes arabs? Is it racism? Or does the arab population (i think the bosnians refer to everyone from the middle east and northern africa with the term arab) have something about their culture and behavings that lead other people to disliking them even in a tolerant country like bosnia?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2017-08-03 at 11:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    I just came back from a holiday in Bosnia. Lovely country, lovely people, lovely nature. A country rich with history. A tolerable country where muslims, orthodox, jews and catholics live together in peace. My kind of country. Meat dishes, oh to die for. Theres just one thing: they seem to hate arabs. We've only been there for 7 days, so it could be anecdotical, but we traveled all across the land (mostar, sarajevo, tuzla, blagaj, etc.) and everywhere they were complaining about "the arabs".

Apparantly "the arabs" come on holidays and claim everything chasing locals away, being obnoxious and obteus to other guests etc. I recall while rafting seeing an arab couple not doing anything but sitting in the rafting boat with their child while two workers were paddling the 50 kilometers. From here it looks like they were just really spoiled and cocky.

However it got me thinking: how can it be that in a country where they figured out a way to have all religions live together, the majority still dislikes arabs? Is it racism? Or does the arab population have something about their culture and behavings that lead other people to disliking them even in a tolerant country like bosnia?
    Because they aren't white?

I remember that whole ethnic cleansing things so, that is best I can come up with.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Because they aren't white?

I remember that whole ethnic cleansing things so, that is best I can come up with.
    Bosnia is made up from mediterranian, ottoman and other influences. Their people arent 'white'

10+ Year Old Account
    Bosnia is made up from mediterranian, ottoman and other influences. Their people arent 'white'
    Guess that maybe depends on what they think of themselves, I mean sometimes all it takes is a mixture of one thing or another, you mentioned the religious thing and the harmony with that, so that is near as I can tell would be it.

Same thing happens in other parts of the world, class division, separations. Might share the same skin tone but not necessarily the ideas behind what if anything that means.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

However it got me thinking: how can it be that in a country where they figured out a way to have all religions live together, the majority still dislikes arabs? Is it racism? Or does the arab population (i think the bosnians refer to everyone from the middle east and northern africa with the term arab) have something about their culture and behavings that lead other people to disliking them even in a tolerant country like bosnia?
    Your 7 day visit was full of deep cultural and sociopolitical insights I see. Can't have had much fun.
    They did have a war over their "tolerance" and they're definetly not over that.

Most likely personal experience / media coverage.
    Just like the native people of many islands in the mediterranean hate the party tourists (british?). Or that many hate the chinese tourists.
    If i were on a raft and there were people sitting not doing shit, i would hate them too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Your 7 day visit was full of deep cultural and sociopolitical insights I see. Can't have had much fun.
    They did have a war over their "tolerance" and they're definetly not over that.
    We actually spend around 40 hours with a guide who told us all about the country, the war, the ethnic groups, etc. Funny thing: alot of people actually liked tito. Figure that.

Deleted
    Essentially there is history.
    Add that in with this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37429682
    Then mix in your usual shit that is in every society - fear of the other *unfounded or not* and there you go.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    We actually spend around 40 hours with a guide who told us all about the country, the war, the ethnic groups, etc. Funny thing: alot of people actually liked tito. Figure that.
    Waw, 40 hours in 7 days? What a wellspring of knowledge and insight. Come on dude, your knowledge of the region is really shallow. Don't act otherwise.

Yeah, lots of people will tell you that. It's hardly a revelation nor an insight.

Yeah, we've seen a lot of their tolerance in the 90ies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Waw, 40 hours in 7 days? What a wellspring of knowledge and insight. Come on dude, your knowledge of the region is really shallow. Don't act otherwise.

Yeah, lots of people will tell you that. It's hardly a revelation nor an insight.
    I never claimed i was an expert. Not sure what you are trying to proof.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yeah, we've seen a lot of their tolerance in the 90ies.
    Are you referring to sebreniza? Or the catholics, orthodox, muslims, jews, croats, bosnians fighting in a united army?

Deleted
    Is this some kind of joke?

There was widespread ethnic cleansing of the Muslim population in Bosnia by the Serbs, mostly Christian orthodox. The only reason there wasn't total genocide was an intervention by the United Nations.

People see what they want to see, and they hear what they want to hear. Your anecdotal experience may very well be more of an indication of who you are, than who other people happen to be.

Every country on earth has a demographic that the majority part of the population bitches about. Usually a minority group. Lots of reasons for this, but the main reason is that it is easier to scapegoat one group as being the cause of all of your problems than to deal with the real cause(s) of a given socioeconomic issue, which are generally complex.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    People see what they want to see, and they hear what they want to hear. Your anecdotal experience may very well be more of an indication of who you are, than who other people happen to be.
    Several muslim tour guides telling me they dislike the arabs" is my confirmation bias.
    Thats some next level wishfull thinking right there.

Several muslim tour guides telling me they dislike the arabs" is my confirmation bias.
    Thats some next level wishfull thinking right there.
    Going by your posting history, it's not exactly a leap. You like to push race baiting and religion baiting threads, so it's not exactly a surprise if you choose to do it again. I could go to rural Alabama, and have tour guides telling me they don't like the Arabs. Like I said, that anecdotal experience says more about he person saying it, than anything else.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it is a mix of the usual fear of strangers, cultural problems that still exists in the country and then how tourists behave when they are away from their country and paying for stuff.

Most tourists are surprisingly horrible and that to an extreme if you have rich tourists. That might explain why the Bosnians have problems with arabs, because they only deal with the shitty ones.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Going by your posting history, it's not exactly a leap. You like to push race baiting and religion baiting threads, so it's not exactly a surprise if you choose to do it again.
    Its hilarious really. My best friend is jewish. My GF's 2 best friends are haitian and ghanesh. 1 have 2 coloured brother in laws, my neighbour who i see and talk to daily is from india and tomorrow i have 2 muslim friends visiting us. But for some apparant reason (AKA: how dare you talk about immigration problems) im a "race baiter".

Its hilarious really. My best friend is jewish. My GF's 2 best friends are haitian and ghanesh. 1 have 2 coloured brother in laws, my neighbour who i see and talk to daily is from india and tomorrow i have 2 muslim friends visiting us. But for some apparant reason (AKA: how dare you talk about immigration problems) im a "race baiter".
    Well, if you want to know:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-cosplay-daily

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-the-racist

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-to-have-kids

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-history-exams

It's clear you want to push bait threads, and have been banned for it on multiple occasions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Is this some kind of joke?

There was widespread ethnic cleansing of the Muslim population in Bosnia by the Serbs, mostly Christian orthodox. The only reason there wasn't total genocide was an intervention by the United Nations.
    Serbs all moved to serbia. Muslims actually make up the majority of bosnia nowadays.