Page 31 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Then again, Fox works the same way just on the other side of the political spectrum. This is also nothing new.
    I mean, even your president works in the same way. I doubt it'll change anythime soon.
    #NotMYPresident - literally, I'm a UK citizen. Misinformation here causing all kinds of other issues
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yes, because it's totally a bunch of "bros" getting hired with no actual skills and qualifications that are just terrified that women are going to come and expose them as the frauds they are. Oddly enough, no other men have come in and competed with them, so they just keep floating on by chasing out the women.

Seriously, how do you guys come up with this stuff? Or believe it?
    Because we, unlike apparently most of the forumgoers here, actually have worked in the corporate hierarchy and observed a lot of the 'boys club' cultures that tend to emerge around senior management positions.

Let's pretend that even if the existing hierarchy were purely merit based, the hostility could easily stem from the questioning of the gender disparity being perceived as an attack on said meritocracy. The idea that there is an inherent cultural obstacle to more equitable gender representation in the industry might be taken to imply that existing professionals did not acquire their position solely on merit.

To be clear, I am not saying that people who succeed in the current industry do so solely as a result of their gender; but there is something to be said about the sheer hostility to any and all discussion of the subject on the part of the industry and its defenders, especially in gamer culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    I didn't say they were but your premise that democrats actually want to help the average person is hilarious to me.
    What legislation have Republicans passed to help non-rich people precisely?

10+ Year Old Account
    What company guideline did he go against?

It's absolutely that Google is against free speech. Firing a guy who wrote a memo? Isn't that the definition?
    Sigh. Google is a company. They were on the verge of a PR disaster and had to make a decision. They clearly stated that this memo went against their company policies. Freedom of speech is a right granted to public entities and does not hold for private companies, who can fire you for many different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Bringing up the issue of women in the tech industry is the verbal equivalent of throwing rocks at a hornet's nest.

I suspect it is because a lot of the bros in said industry feel threatened by the idea they might have to compete on actual, you know, quality of output rather than succeed because the environment is inherently hostile to people outside of a certain subculture.
    Implying the tech industry isn't a competitive environment to begin with?

Because we, unlike apparently most of the forumgoers here, actually have worked in the corporate hierarchy and observed a lot of the 'boys club' cultures that tend to emerge around senior management positions.

Let's pretend that even if the existing hierarchy were purely merit based, the hostility could easily stem from the questioning of the gender disparity being perceived as an attack on said meritocracy. The idea that there is an inherent cultural obstacle to more equitable gender representation in the industry might be taken to imply that existing professionals did not acquire their position solely on merit.

To be clear, I am not saying that people who succeed in the current industry do so solely as a result of their gender; but there is something to be said about the sheer hostility to any and all discussion of the subject on the part of the industry and its defenders, especially in gamer culture.
    If the existing hierarchy were completely merit based I would hazard to say we would see even less women in management and leadership positions.

Bringing up the issue of women in the tech industry is the verbal equivalent of throwing rocks at a hornet's nest.

I suspect it is because a lot of the bros in said industry feel threatened by the idea they might have to compete on actual, you know, quality of output rather than succeed because the environment is inherently hostile to people outside of a certain subculture.
    Just wondering, do you work on tech? I (and my wife) and nearly everyone of my friends (and their SO) work on tech and that does not describe our experience at all.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    no but maybe it would teach you that treating people like shit and mocking them is not a good way to get them on your side? oh who am i kidding there is 0 chance you will ever use any tactic other then insults and hyperbolic strawmen .
    Funny how this criticism only ever applies to the left wing and not when the right wing is actively calling for the political assassination of the other candidate.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Sigh. Google is a company. They were on the verge of a PR disaster and had to make a decision. They clearly stated that this memo went against their company policies. Freedom of speech is a right granted to public entities and does not hold for private companies, who can fire you for many different reasons.
    Sure but what company guideline did he go against?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyuvarax View Post
    What legislation have Republicans passed to help non-rich people precisely?
    you do know its possible to criticize democrats without being a republican right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    #NotMYPresident - literally, I'm a UK citizen. Misinformation here causing all kinds of other issues
    The US president then, my bad. Still though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    A simple glance at the legislative history of each party would go a long way to showing you the truth on this one.
    Should we be looking a legislative history or the actual situation black people have in the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    If the existing hierarchy were completely merit based I would hazard to say we would see even less women in management and leadership positions.
    How am I utterly not shocked that this sort of statement would appear on a gaming forum, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyuvarax View Post
    Misinformation is not the same as ideological bias. Your conflating of the two is itself misinformation.
    Indeed and both sides loves misinformation when it fits their agenda.

Still doesn't absolve them of the stupidity of voting for a party that is blatantly against their interests, however.
    Maybe healthcare decisions Trump and the Republicans make may hurt them, but he's giving them jobs. Coal jobs are coming back (of course not all of them) but for those people, those jobs opening up is exactly what he said he'd do and what they voted for him to do. He's so popular in West Virginia that the governor switched to Republican.

It's easy to say a politician for or against someone, because no one is ever going to get a politician that is 100% agreement with every decision that affects anyone. In this particular case, you seem to believe that a politician who gives a man government healthcare and takes away his job is "for him", where as the West Virginian who voted for Trump seems to think that the guy who gave him a job, and possibly takes away his free government healthcare is for him. In this case, I'd side with the West Virginians point of view, with a job he can get his own healthcare; free government healthcare is not going to put food on your table on it's own.

Funny how this criticism only ever applies to the left wing and not when the right wing is actively calling for the political assassination of the other candidate.
    the only reason i haven't personally prayed for trump to die of ebola is because pence is next in line, stop assuming that just because someone isn't 100% on your side they are 100% on your enemies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Maybe healthcare decisions Trump and the Republicans make may hurt them, but he's giving them jobs.
    Sure, Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    the only reason i haven't personally prayed for trump to die of ebola is because pence is next in line, stop assuming that just because someone isn't 100% on your side they are 100% on your enemies.
    Say what you will about Mike Pence, at least he would pay attention to national security briefings and wouldn't be Tweeting insults at people like a teenager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

How am I utterly not shocked that this sort of statement would appear on a gaming forum, lol.
    With all the affirmative action and political pressure coming from the media to get more women in leadership positions. Would it not logically follow that without the pressure the numbers would be lower?

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Wait, have you just strawmanned to be able to dismiss ANY arguments that have evidence and sourcing? Epic!
    I mean, if you have a purely nonsensical definition of strawman that, say, you liberally throw out at any hint of opposition to your argument in a way that is itself a strawman, sure.