Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you think that people with Autism are evolved Humans?

I believe that people with Autism have been around since the start of time. They've been outcasted, shunned, killed and unable to join social groups or tribes for many millenniums because of their lack of ability to socialize with people.

But now their numbers are growing, advanced technology has allowed them to thrive. I believe that Autistic people are actually evolved humans designed to merge with advanced technology to take us into the future. They no longer need social interaction, they focus on logic and reason to make their decisions which is extremely beneficial to a society where technology is improving and knowledge is expanding.

There is no longer a need for social interaction in today's age, our technology allows us to keep in constant contact with no interruptions or impediments anymore. Neurotypicals still require social interaction, they still have a need for "social groups" because it's a primitive human instinct for survival. Autistic people don't have that instinct. Autistic people are more self-individualistic and won't seek out groups.

I believe autistic people were a secret evolutionary change that was ultimately designed to merge with advanced technology. It seems very strange, it almost feels like nature knew we would rely on technology in the future and gave us a mechanic that allowed us to do exactly that.

What do you guys think? Feel free to post your thoughts and feelings on the matter.

And as always, please keep the discussion civil and avoid turning it into a shitfest. Thank you! ^^

Edit: I'm not firm on my views on this subject, this is purely to have a discussion. I'm simply exploring this concept. It may lead somewhere, it may not lead anywhere. The goal is to have a discussion to see if we can get something out of it.
    Last edited by mmocd209cf6fa2; 2017-08-09 at 03:27 AM.

Devolved humans, maybe, particularly the ones further down the spectrum.

No, I think they are socially and developmentally impaired.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you understand what evolution is.

I think a lot of them are just brats.

Given that evolution favors traits that allow the species to pass down its genes...

I'd venture a guess and say no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No, I think they are socially and developmentally impaired.
    What about higher functioning autistic people? Many of them are leading scientists in fields like physics, astrophysics and mathematics.

Some of the greatest scientists and minds of all time had Asperger's Syndrome. I wouldn't say they were developmentally impaired.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Given that evolution favors traits that allow the species to pass down its genes...

I'd venture a guess and say no.
    What if that species now had the required technology to allow it to pass down it's genes? Autistic people couldn't do that in the past but now they can, due to modern technology. They would see the logic and reasoning of procreating in order to survive the species and would do it voluntarily. They would also focus on producing technology and amass more knowledge about their world at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't think you understand what evolution is.
    This is an evolution that has gone beyond Darwin's natural evolution. Our species I believe has evolved beyond that, we're evolving with the assistance of technology.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thesib View Post
    What about Higher Functioning Autism? Asperger's Syndrome?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I think human beings have an overly romantisized Idea about evolution. It is as if cells or our DNA is some how controlled by some mechanism that says this is the next evolutionary step, or that is the next step in progress.

Real evolution was mess, just like everything else in nature, sure different parts of the whole work things out for what later develops but no, I don't think people with Autism are out next evolutionary step. Not that the way people with autism work is defective per say either. But I do believe they like all of us are variations to evolutionary adaptations that has much more to do from the input that surrounds us than anything else.

The best example I would give are canine's there are different evolutionary traits and variations but they are simply the same dog, NOW should something happen where our environment changes drastically for whatever reason, some do to their changes and adaptations might be the last standing.

And if I were a betting man, I would say our next step in human evolution will be the ones we design like we are doing to DNA right now.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absomal View Post
    I believe that people with Autism have been around since the start of time. They've been outcasted, shunned, killed and unable to join social groups or tribes for many millenniums because of their lack of ability to socialize with people.
    Ummm, no. Even cavemen humans had empathy. They wouldn't just kill another simply because the were unusual, especially since they traveled with family and a mother/father still had a familial bond with the autist. The biggest proof I have for this theory is that Autism still exists... If we killed every autist back in the day, their genes would have been wiped out by today.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Oh dear. How deep is this rabbit hole gonna go?

Designed by whom? Are humans still human if they leave behind their humanity?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thesib View Post
    This is complete and utter nonsense and is a made up idea there is only one way to devolve humans, and that is through incest, or trying to keep genes pure which they weren't made to do.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I don't think you understand evolution.
    I don't think you understand what Autism is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Ummm, no. Even cavemen humans had empathy. They wouldn't kill another simply because the were unusual. The biggest proof I have for this theory is that Autism still exists... If we killed every autist back in the day, there genes would have been wiped out today.
    Most autistic people today are almost invisible to you because they've learned how to behave like a neurotypical. Perhaps autistic cavemen learned how to emulate their fellow humans in order to survive, thus preserving their genes to the present day? It's very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Absomal View Post
    What about higher functioning autistic people? Many of them are leading scientists in fields like physics, astrophysics and mathematics.

Some of the greatest scientists and minds of all time had Asperger's Syndrome. I wouldn't say they were developmentally impaired.
    Very rare occurrence. Doesn't make them the norm. The norm is that autistic people have problems coping with even living society like normal people.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Ummm, no. Even cavemen humans had empathy. They wouldn't just kill another simply because the were unusual, especially since they traveled with family and a mother/father still had a familial bond with the autist. The biggest proof I have for this theory is that Autism still exists... If we killed every autist back in the day, their genes would have been wiped out by today.
    Autism and other mental disabilities are mutations. They aren't hereditary, therefore you can't breed them out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I don't think you understand evolution.
    I don't think you understand what Autism is.
    I understand evolution.

I understand Autism.

The type of evolution I'm talking about isn't really about Darwin's theory anymore. It's the next stage of evolution where we merge with technology.

I believe neurotypicals will die out in the future as technology progresses they will find it harder to find mates to procreate with while autistic people will thrive in such environments. I think the scenario has changed rapidly over the past few decades. It used to be more about natural environments and social environments.

Now it's more about technological environments and which types of humans can thrive in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    Oh dear. How deep is this rabbit hole gonna go?

Designed by whom? Are humans still human if they leave behind their humanity?
    What would you define 'humanity' as?

10+ Year Old Account
    They're evolved humans in the same way any other human is an evolved human. Or are you trying to say they're more evolved? Because that's not how evolution works, nor your belief that they're evolving to merge with technology.

As far as I'm aware, the main reason there are more people classed as Autistic these days is because the classification has broadened greatly.

I think you are thinking specifically about Autist Savants, not your average autist. This thread is quickly heading towards prejudice, heated argument about things most of us are ignorant and overall nowhere good, so I suggest we all stay away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy it didn't take long for this thread to go into bashing people with a mental disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Oh boy it didn't take long for this thread to go into bashing people with a mental disorder.
    Autism isn't a mental disorder, it's a developmental disorder.