Thread: Asian

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Asian

Why is it a section of MMOC still don't understand that Asian in the UK generally refers to people with South Asian origin, particularly Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans in the "ethnic group" section of UK census forms, which treat "Asian" and "Chinese" as separate? Is it plain stupidity or deliberate ignorance to try and invent a fictitious argument? I mean it isn't a difficult concept

Deleted
    Trolling is not allowed on MMOC so of course it never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Is it plain stupidity or deliberate ignorance
    Yes. /tenchars

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it a section of MMOC still don't understand that Asian in the UK generally refers to people with South Asian origin, particularly Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans in the "ethnic group" section of UK census forms, which treat "Asian" and "Chinese" as separate? Is it plain stupidity or deliberate ignorance to try and invent a fictitious argument? I mean it isn't a difficult concept
    So, the rest of the world should accept that the UK uses the word Asian wrong? Or at least, mostly wrong.

I'm on the crusade to get people to stop calling the United States "America". America alone would mean both North and South America. I've been doing my best to ensure that I call this country, The U.S. when I am referencing it, hoping it will rub off on people.

I mean, an easy fix would be to start specifically saying So. Asian. That would at least be correct, and not confusing to the rest of the world.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    So, the rest of the world should accept that the UK uses the word Asian wrong? Or at least, mostly wrong.

I'm on the crusade to get people to stop calling the United States "America". America alone would mean both North and South America. I've been doing my best to ensure that I call this country, The U.S. when I am referencing it, hoping it will rub off on people.

I mean, an easy fix would be to start specifically saying So. Asian. That would at least be correct, and not confusing to the rest of the world.
    Sorry but ignorance of other countries isn't an excuse... Brits know Asian in America = Japanese / Chinese. It's only USA and New Zealand that deem Asian exclusive to East Asian

"Asian" is not the only word Brits and Americans disagree on. "Trunk" versus "Boot", a car's trunk has very little in common with a boot but a lot in common with a trunk.

I rest my case.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-08-10 at 03:05 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Brb gonna get my popcorn

Anyone from the continent Asia is Asian though

because we consider those peoples middle eastern, not asian.

it's an easy grouping mechanism.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it concerns British people, or something that happens on British soil we will use Asian in what ever manner we like, capish? If you don't like than it sucks to be you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    because we consider those peoples middle eastern, not asian.

it's an easy grouping mechanism.
    Except South Asia isn't Middle East

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_people#Australia

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    "Asian" is not the only word Brits and Americans disagree on. "Trunk" versus "Boot", a car's trunk has very little in common with a boot but a lot in common with a trunk.

I rest my case.
    A boot is still a shoe in the UK,

Except South Asia isn't Middle East

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_people#Australia
    pakistan is considered middle eastern here, indians are just called indians, we kinda separate them into their own group.

but for us, asians are just monogloids, not any caucazoid people.

like i said, it's just an easy grouping mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonduset View Post
    Anyone from the continent Asia is Asian though
    Are Russians Asian?

Deleted
    pakistan is considered middle eastern here, indians are just called indians, we kinda separate them into their own group.

but for us, asians are just monogloids, not any caucazoid people.

like i said, it's just an easy grouping mechanism.
    Then your country doesn't understand geography

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    Are Russians Asian?
    Russia are a special case

Because in America, on the news, a lot of times they try to shy away from describing the suspect if he's not white. If it's white, the headlines all read "Whiteman kills blah blah blah " . When describing someone's who's black, I've seen the media give reports on a "tanned" man. I've seen dark Hispanics described as a white man (not arguing abt this here, but ppl in America generally don't see Hispanics as white, especially when they are no where near "white skinned".) When you look at the mugshot, white is the last discriptor ud pick to describe him. So when you hear news of a Muslim from the middle East doing something, it seems dishonest for us to call them Asian. You know what people we think of when the term Asian is used. We'd just prefer u called a spade a spade.

Not gonna argue whether u think this type ofvthinking is right or wrong, but I'm telling u how a lot of ppl feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    Are Russians Asian?
    Are they in the continent Asia?

If you take the continents literally, I am English and European. Palestine are Palestinian and Asian so on and so forth

It's entertaining and, while it might come genuinely in the UK, it glaringly paints the usual double-standard we gotten used to by the mainstream media, in the West, when describing the various races in relation to criminal activities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Because in America, on the news, a lot of times they try to shy away from describing the suspect if he's not white. If it's white, the headlines all read "Whiteman kills blah blah blah " . When describing someone's who's black, I've seen the media give reports on a "tanned" man. I've seen dark Hispanics described as a white man (not arguing abt this here, but ppl in America generally don't see Hispanics as white, especially when they are no where near "white skinned".) When you look at the mugshot, white is the last discriptor ud pick to describe him. So when you hear news of a Muslim from the middle East doing something, it seems dishonest for us to call them Asian. You know what people we think of when the term Asian is used. We'd just prefer u called a spade a spade.

Not gonna argue whether u think this type ofvthinking is right or wrong, but I'm telling u how a lot of ppl feel.
    That's an America issue not a World issue.... It's still ignorance to not understand

Then your country doesn't understand geography
    is it not easier to just put specific peoples in their own groups?

you see a mongoloid you think "that's an asian" you see a tan dude with a beard(or in pakistan's case, an 80's mustache) you think "that's a middle easterner".

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    It's entertaining and, while it might come genuinely in the UK, it glaringly paints the usual double-standard we gotten used to by the mainstream media, in the West, when describing the various races in relation to criminal activities.
    Asians here have a very low crime rate, zero terrorism far as I know.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    is it not easier to just put specific peoples in their own groups?

you see a mongoloid you think "that's an asian" you see a tan dude with a beard(or in pakistan's case, an 80's mustache) you think "that's a middle easterner".
    Most of the world call them Asian just saying