So for those of you who have a PS4 Pro and a 4K tv.

What do you think of the image quality compared to 1080p?

Getting a 4K tv today and this is one of the reasons why I'm getting one. Since there is many games that range from 1440p to Native (yes native) 4K. How much of a difference is it then compared to 1080p.

I have only really used a 1080p tv and not really gamed on a 4K tv.

This is likely the 4K tv ill be getting.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...?skuId=5678701

I don't care to spend the extra $100-$150 difference to make it HDR. Ill also be using it as my computer monitor

(Can a mod change want to have please).
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    What do you think of the image quality compared to 1080p?

Getting a 4K tv today and this is one of the reasons why I'm getting one. Since there is many games that range from 1440p to Native (yes native) 4K. How much of a difference is it then compared to 1080p.

I have only really used a 1080p tv and not really gamed on a 4K tv.

This is likely the 4K tv ill be getting.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...?skuId=5678701

I don't care to spend the extra $100-$150 difference to make it HDR. Ill also be using it as my computer monitor

(Can a mod change want to have please).
    If you plan to use as your PC monitor, and you value the responsiveness of a PC rig over a TV rig you will have a terrible time.

TV monitors are always a very bad Idea for PC experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    If you plan to use as your PC monitor, and you value the responsiveness of a PC rig over a TV rig you will have a terrible time.

TV monitors are always a very bad Idea for PC experience.
    IMO it will work fine for me when it comes to responsiveness and Ill be barely doing any gaming on it (PC gaming) anyway.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

IMO it will work fine for me when it comes to responsiveness and Ill be barely doing any gaming on it (PC gaming) anyway.
    As I said, it will work, but the response time is very noticeable.

Only the sluggishness of a controller can be tolerated on it - sadly speaking out of experience.

If you wanna go 4k do it properly or regret every dime you spent (consider size, seating distance, features and brands).

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    As I said, it will work, but the response time is very noticeable.

Only the sluggishness of a controller can be tolerated on it - sadly speaking out of experience.

If you wanna go 4k do it properly or regret every dime you spent (consider size, seating distance, features and brands).
    Sitting wise I say I'm about 10 feet away maybe slightly more. Right now looking to just do it cheap and maybe in the future get a better TV, (Selling my switch and buying one).

So far the reviews I have seen are positive. The size is just 3-inch bigger then my current 1080p TV that I already PC/Console game on.

Mainly wondering how big of a difference it is on the Pro going from 1080p to 1440p-4K Res on it.

I use an Xbox One S + LG OLED 65" and I will never go back. When I had a cheaper 4k, I didn't really notice a difference. And honestly, you won't really notice a difference on any 4k screen. It's features like HDR/Dolby Vision that really are what make pictures shine. But if you're just wanting to view 4k content, and have your PS4Pro output to 4k, then I'd say you're fine getting a standard 4k TV. Things *might* look a little more sharp, but that's about it. When using a PC, you'll have more screen real estate to use, which is why I run dual 4k at work since windows 10 finally added corner snapping, it's basically like having 4 monitors in 1, albeit small ones, but still very useful. If you're looking for some crazy image change or clarity, it's not really going to be noticeable in games or shows for most people. The one thing you'll maybe notice, you can sit closer to the TV and it'll still be clear so long as the content is actual 4k content.

And input lag on TV's is a real thing, but unless you're competitive, putting the TV on "game" mode is most often enough to not notice it if you're going to be playing with a controller.
    Last edited by Droodid; 2017-08-10 at 03:34 PM.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    I use an Xbox One S + LG OLED 65" and I will never go back. When I had a cheaper 4k, I didn't really notice a difference. And honestly, you won't really notice a difference on any 4k screen. It's features like HDR/Dolby Vision that really are what make pictures shine. But if you're just wanting to view 4k content, and have your PS4Pro output to 4k, then I'd say you're fine getting a standard 4k TV. Things *might* look a little more sharp, but that's about it. When using a PC, you'll have more screen real estate to use, which is why I run dual 4k at work since windows 10 finally added corner snapping, it's basically like having 4 monitors in 1, albeit small ones, but still very useful. If you're looking for some crazy image change or clarity, it's not really going to be noticeable in games or shows for most people.

And input lag on TV's is a real thing, but unless you're competitive, putting the TV on "game" mode is most often enough to not notice it if you're going to be playing with a controller.
    Thanks for the info

Selling my Switch is funding the TV so I have said screwed it and going to get one. But ya like I said, I'm looking to do it on the cheap for right now and maybe later get one with HDR and all. I just feel the price difference isn't worth it atm.

Thanks for the info

Selling my Switch is funding the TV so I have said screwed it and going to get one. But ya like I said, I'm looking to do it on the cheap for right now and maybe later get one with HDR and all. I just feel the price difference isn't worth it atm.
    If you don't have anything that can do HDR (I have no idea if the PS4 Pro does, but assume it does), then it definitely wouldn't be worth the cost to get HDR. The built in Netflix app might support it, but even then probably not worth it so that Marvel shows are in HDR. HDR/Dolby Vision is still in early stages too, there's only been 1-2 movies that have made me actually say WOW from the image, which are Warcraft in 4k/HDR, and Fury Road in 4k/HDR. Until it catches on, it's still not really a needed feature. Not to mention HDR content is way more expensive for movies right now. 4k HDR blu-rays are like $30? I think. Games in HDR "pop" a little more, but again, not really a noticeable difference, and you can often change the color settings to almost mimic what HDR would do. I only notice brighter whites, and darker blacks (which is due to OLED more then HDR).
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

If you don't have anything that can do HDR (I have no idea if the PS4 Pro does, but assume it does), then it definitely wouldn't be worth the cost to get HDR. The built in Netflix app might support it, but even then probably not worth it so that Marvel shows are in HDR. HDR/Dolby Vision is still in early stages too, there's only been 1-2 movies that have made me actually say WOW from the image, which are Warcraft in 4k/HDR, and Fury Road in 4k/HDR. Until it catches on, it's still not really a needed feature. Not to mention HDR content is way more expensive for movies right now. 4k HDR blu-rays are like $30? I think. Games in HDR "pop" a little more, but again, not really a noticeable difference, and you can often change the color settings to almost mimic what HDR would do. I only notice brighter whites, and darker blacks (which is due to OLED more then HDR).
    Ya Pro does HDR but I think only a few games (Horizon Zero Dawn) take advantage of it. I was just wondering in image/graphical fidelity how much of a difference is 1080p To (up to) 4K. I know images will look sharper in games like TF2 that is 1440 (or 1880p Can't remember). But will it be something noticeable where I am like Dam that looks nice.

Never played anything at 4K and the most I have seen at 4K is when I see a tv in a store or go to the theaters.

Ya Pro does HDR but I think only a few games (Horizon Zero Dawn) take advantage of it. I was just wondering in image/graphical fidelity how much of a difference is 1080p To (up to) 4K. I know images will look sharper in games like TF2 that is 1440 (or 1880p Can't remember). But will it be something noticeable where I am like Dam that looks nice.

Never played anything at 4K and the most I have seen at 4K is when I see a tv in a store or go to the theaters.
    100% honesty, you probably won't even notice. Especially if it's PC games, you'll have to change other settings to make up for the resolution jump. I watched my friend play Horizon Zero Dawn on mine, and then a normal TV and I noticed no difference other than like I said, the black coloring which wasn't even HDR/4k related. If you can play games at high/ultra settings in 4k, it'll look better just because edges will be more rounded/sharp looking depending on what they're on, but there's not many PC's that can handle that at the moment (other than older games, which are often horribly optimized for 4k).

100% honesty, you probably won't even notice. Especially if it's PC games, you'll have to change other settings to make up for the resolution jump. I watched my friend play Horizon Zero Dawn on mine, and then a normal TV and I noticed no difference other than like I said, the black coloring which wasn't even HDR/4k related. If you can play games at high/ultra settings in 4k, it'll look better just because edges will be more rounded/sharp looking depending on what they're on, but there's not many PC's that can handle that at the moment (other than older games, which are often horribly optimized for 4k).
    Cool beans, Thanks for the info.

I am still on the fence on getting one or not. I figured since I got my pro and many games on it do support it I may get one.

If you have a PSVR remember to disconnect it when not using it since it video going through it is limited to 1080p only.

Also more than Horizon uses HDR, though its a small list. Here's a link of games that support 4k and HDR, though most support only 4k.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...nhanced-games/

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    If you have a PSVR remember to disconnect it when not using it since it video going through it is limited to 1080p only.

Also more than Horizon uses HDR, though its a small list. Here's a link of games that support 4k and HDR, though most support only 4k.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...nhanced-games/
    Thanks for the info.

I don't own a PSVR but do plan to sometime in the future, Just waiting for more games to be on it and worth it. I was kinda cough between getting a 4K tv or saving up for a PSVR.

But as it stands only one game I want on it to use and I hear it can be used on PC as well but with a work around.

I just want to say be careful with those roku tvs. I'm not sure if it's JUST 4ks but I bought a 55inch roku tv and I occasionally have problems with screen flickering while playing PS4, sometimes it starts even after adjusting the volume ><. It seems to have something to do with apps on the tv interacting with the PS4. I have to basically go into power options on the tv under settings and "restart". Turning the tv off via the remote just puts it to sleep apparently. it doesn't happen all the time so I live with it but it is annoying. This probably wont ever happen to you but I want to mention it just incase you, or anyone else has this issue because it took me hours until I found an answer online for why it was doing this. It was all resolution setting changes that didn't help. until I saw that recommendation on steam from a someone that started it with "hey I actually know this one" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    I just want to say be careful with those roku tvs. I'm not sure if it's JUST 4ks but I bought a 55inch roku tv and I occasionally have problems with screen flickering while playing PS4, sometimes it starts even after adjusting the volume ><. It seems to have something to do with apps on the tv interacting with the PS4. I have to basically go into power options on the tv under settings and "restart". Turning the tv off via the remote just puts it to sleep apparently. it doesn't happen all the time so I live with it but it is annoying. This probably wont ever happen to you but I want to mention it just incase you, or anyone else has this issue because it took me hours until I found an answer online for why it was doing this. It was all resolution setting changes that didn't help. until I saw that recommendation on steam from a someone that started it with "hey I actually know this one" lol.
    Thanks for the warning, Still a bit on the fence about getting a 4K tv but ill keep this in mind. Ether way I am selling The Switch and just haven't decided what I am doing after.

I want one but not sure if its really worth it. Wish I had a way to see the difference before buying best I can do I guess is see there display with whatever they got on it LOL.

Watching some Digital Foundry videos atm on the pro benfits and 4k.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would honestly wait and save up money so you can get a 4k hdr capable tv, I recently converted from a $300 sceptre to a $600 sony set and.. the colors are freaking amazing. The HDR actually puts most games on par with pc games on ultra visually. I wouldn't use the tv for a monitor though, it might work for WoW but games like League you *might* have responsiveness issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidofiner View Post
    I would honestly wait and save up money so you can get a 4k hdr capable tv, I recently converted from a $300 sceptre to a $600 sony set and.. the colors are freaking amazing. The HDR actually puts most games on par with pc games on ultra visually. I wouldn't use the tv for a monitor though, it might work for WoW but games like League you *might* have responsiveness issues.
    I advocate saving up too, not only for a better quality tv but also to take advantage of the next gen that will be hitting the market eventually. 4k is honestly still in it's childhood, the tech is being constantly refined. I also view my TV from about 10-12 ft away, and I honestly don't see much improvement over the 1080p sony in the spare bedroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Thanks for all the help guys, Just going to save up and get a HDR 4K tv.

Saw some at best buy while I was there and the difference is worth the wait. Black Friday isn't far away mite try to grab one then.

Deleted
    A bit late to the party, but a HDR OLED TV is really worth it. But you have to see it for yourself - ask a store clerk at a local store if you can hook up a ps4 pro on one of those TV's, and compare that image to a normal 4k tv. It looks quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by fatisha View Post
    A bit late to the party, but a HDR OLED TV is really worth it. But you have to see it for yourself - ask a store clerk at a local store if you can hook up a ps4 pro on one of those TV's, and compare that image to a normal 4k tv. It looks quite different.
    Ya best buy had a Pro hooked up to one and it was nice looking, Its one of the reasons I decided to just wait.