Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    If they can't meet standard then yes. Be they white, black or whatever. If you can't do a job you shouldn't have that job.
    I don't see why they can't meet the standards. Have you not seen the engineering classes at top universities?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    and what exactly does this mean or matter?
    It means, that the representation of woman and minorities in the industry is not equal to the 50% woman and 50% man from a lot of different cultures with a lot of different languages and skin color that play the games.

If you want to build a game for a diverse playerbase, you also need a team made out of diverse cultures, both woman and men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnulzenbarde View Post
    Well, i want support for those who are willing to join the industry. Currently, there is a large underrepresentation of woman and ethnic minorities in the gaming industry, and blizzard wants to help to make education accessible to those who are interested.
    Under representation? Link to the research of % on white, black, asian etc that have required skills. From there lets see if the percentage matches represented ethnicity in the industry. Otherwise it's just racists making noise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    What's there to discuss? You're clearly quite far left, nothing I say will change your mind. I have my opinions, you have yours.
    And you forgot to argument it. And no, i am not left. Spare me of your ad hominems.

Blizzard is making games for male whites in their 20's. That's it. That is the customer base. i cant see the advantage of hiring more women and members of ethnic groups to develope a diverse workforce. Another point could be that women in general are not interested in developing games... They study and gratuate in other fields. But thats are only my two white male cis gender cents...

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to build a game for a diverse playerbase, you also need a team made out of diverse cultures, both woman and men.
    suuuuu women and men do the same job differently now

What happened to women can do a job as well as a man or vice versa. People arnt created equally now?
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

No because they are highly underrepresented. Blizzard will still hire the best only, they just want to ensure that people of both genders and of different skin colors are able to find a way into the industry.
    Yes, because it's so fucking hard to find a way.

https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    That's a really racist thing to say. Basically just keep some at the top and others at the bottom is what you're saying.
    The only way he is saying that is if you believe that blacks can't compete with whites without quotas.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Contesto View Post
    Blizzard is making games for male whites in their 20's. That's it.
    And you base your anecdotal evidence on which statistic?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey look! More meaningless quotas instead of just hiring the right person for the Job!

You know I hope more companies across industries with High Male demographics keep doing this, just so when they start failing or losing money they go back to just hiring people on their merits and not on if they have a pussy between their legs or don't burn in the sun as easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I don't see why they can't meet the standards. Have you not seen the engineering classes at top universities?
    Some can, those that are less qualified than others should not be picked over those higher qualified based on their race, gender or who they prefer to fuck.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/in...in-more-women/

A good step at the right time. The number of female game designers and game industry workers from minorities should be raised, and blizzard supports that actively.
    It seems like they're doing it in a thoughtful, sensible way. In other words: no quotas.

Deleted
    suuuuu women and men do the same job differently now
    Do they? Based on which information source?

What happened to women can do a job as well as a man or vice versa. People arnt created equally now?
    All that matters is the intellectual ability and the interestes for a job in the industry. And not if you are male or female.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No because they are highly underrepresented. Blizzard will still hire the best only, they just want to ensure that people of both genders and of different skin colors are able to find a way into the industry.
    But I thought they already hired the Best, which left them with 21% Female representation.

Hurr durr. Meaning going forward aiming for a higher % instead of the best means they will no longer be hiring the best. they will only be hiring the best of one group regardless of if there are better in the other.

Also, Navy SEALS should be 50% women because diversity. Hurr durrrr...

I don't see how any decent person would be against this. We need equal opportunity for all. About time game devs get on board.
    Game development is a dead end career with no money in it. You only get into game design if you love gaming. You don't go into it to advance.

Want to know why video games have so many bugs and problems? Because Game companies, including Blizzard, can't afford the programmers worth a shit, male or female.

Like not to toot my own horn, but I went to a top 3 Computer Science school. I have my masters. I've been a World of Warcraft guild hardcore raiding guild leader from College to the President day (9 years). But I always chuckle whenever asked if I would work for Blizzard. Anyone with my background is hysterically overqualified. That goes for anyone trained at a non-shit computer science program anywhere in America.

Nah, I'm not against it, but let's not pretend its some great thing. Game development, which is where I got my start many years ago, is a farce of a career path and any self-respecting programmer should be talked out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you prove the women/minorities being hired aren't qualified to do their jobs?

No?

Then what are you complaining about...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    Also, Navy SEALS should be 50% women because diversity. Hurr durrrr...
    You joke, but I'm sure there's someone screaming for it.

On topic: people still take Kotaku seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    You joke, but I'm sure there's someone screaming for it.

On topic: people still take Kotaku seriously?
    As seriously as we take the OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    But I thought they already hired the Best, which left them with 21% Female representation.
    Well, you know, up to 2004, 2005 game design still was a male domain.

Thats not the case nowadays. We are in a transition phase, and woman and minority ethnicities need all support possible to catch up.

Game design became a mainstream job. You literally have the same amount of male and female gamers. All kind of cultures play computer games, in hundreds of different languages and countries.