Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy B.C. man dies after allegedly being punched in Starbucks over a cigarette butt

A 22-year-old man has died after an altercation inside a Burnaby coffee shop last month.

The July 12 incident at the Kensington Square Starbucks at Hastings Street and Kensington Avenue was initially handled by Burnaby RCMP, but was handed over to the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team after Michael Page-Vincelli died in hospital on July 15.

The altercation appears to have revolved around an improperly discarded cigarette butt. According to a witness, after Page-Vincelli saw a woman toss a cigarette out the window of a vehicle, he picked it up and threw it back to her.

A witness told CTV News that Page-Vincelli "got very aggressive towards her." Just five days earlier, a state of emergency had been declared in British Columbia due to wildfires in the Interior, shining a spotlight on smokers, many of whom become inadvertent fire-starters by discarding cigarette butts carelessly.

Page-Vincelli headed inside the Starbucks while the woman went inside a nearby bank. Reports said she soon emerged with a man. The pair followed Page-Vincelli into the Starbucks, where the man delivered a punch, according to witnesses.

After being knocked unconscious from the surprise blow, it is believed that Page-Vincelli hit his head on a counter as he fell.

Burnaby RCMP was called to the scene and arrived to find Page-Vincelli bleeding on the floor of the coffee shop. He was taken to hospital, where he died three days later, at which point the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team took over the case.

"IHIT investigators are diligently pursuing leads and advancing the investigation," said IHIT spokesperson Cpl. Meghan Foster. "From evidence retrieved to date, investigators believe there are no concerns relating to public safety."

No charges have been laid in Page-Vincelli's death at this time, and the names of those involved won’t be released until charges are approved.

Police have been criticized for taking nearly a month to release any information about the homicide, with many, including a spokesperson for the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, saying the public had a right to know sooner.

According to a statement, IHIT only releases information to the public to address public safety, further the investigation or solicit help from the public, and "none of these applied."

A small memorial with Page-Vincelli's photo, cards and notes has sprung up outside the Burnaby Starbucks. It is believed to have been placed there by the young man's family.
    http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2017/08/11...cigarette-butt

This is a good example of how easily you can lose your life if you get into an altercation. I always play it safe myself.
    How sad for the victim and his family.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

This is a good example of how easily you can lose your life if you get into an altercation. I always play it safe myself.
    Is that why you never leave your house?

10+ Year Old Account
    Scumbag pieces of shit. Throw the book at them both.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

Seems fine to me.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    awww, and here I thought canada was so wonderful and great and the people were just so much better than everywhere else, according to ace.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Work on your people skills, people.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Just five days earlier, a state of emergency had been declared in British Columbia due to wildfires in the Interior, shining a spotlight on smokers, many of whom become inadvertent fire-starters by discarding cigarette butts carelessly.
    Maybe he could have handled it better than throwing it back at the woman, but there's no doubt in my mind that she and the man who assaulted the victim deserve to be thrown in jail. Scum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way to jump to conclusions. If you look at my posting times you'd notice I "go dark" for much of the time.

Deleted
    Way to jump to conclusions. If you look at my posting times you'd notice I "go dark" for much of the time.
    Usually due to bans

Usually due to bans
    Or switching to accounts that are not banned or just switching to accounts to comment on his own stupid threads.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smokers are such disgusting people, I'm constantly telling my own sister to pick up her damn cig butts when she comes over.

Deleted
    Not as disgusting as driving in a car stinking up the roads, am I right.

This thread should have been titled, idiot tries trolling in real life and fails.

No this is what happens when people think its ok to strike other people. Its not ok to strike another person unless they are striking you and you are trying to subdue them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Smokers are such disgusting people, I'm constantly telling my own sister to pick up her damn cig butts when she comes over.
    Yeah the majority of smokers I know are garbage people.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post
    Maybe he could have handled it better than throwing it back at the woman, but there's no doubt in my mind that she and the man who assaulted the victim deserve to be thrown in jail. Scum.
    I agree, he overreacted though that can be seen with so many BC wildfires and the media pointing at smokers and other fire starters as the cause for so many wildfires.

the woman has zero sense of responsibility and decided that instead of being accountable for her cuntness she was gonna get the guy who made her feel like the piece of shit she really is by having another guy sucker punch him.

/slowclap for feminism

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it's tempting to confront horrible people like this woman but please trust me it's not worth it. They are already a waste of sperm, don't let them be a waste of your life as all it takes is a tiny fracture at the side of your head that can lead to being fatal.

Epidural hematomas often result from bar fights or just fights in general if you get punched in the head. If you or someone is prone to jumping in then remember the telltale signs of loss of consciousness, becoming lucid, and then loss of consciousness again. Even if someone just lost consciousness from head trauma just rush them to your nearest hospital.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    The guy who threw the punch should be charged with murder. The woman should face charges as well as an accessory.
    No way. He may get charged with manslaughter.

This is a case of the victim assuming things are over when it wasn't. You just had a altercation with someone, you should remain on high alert and be aware of your surroundings until you are certain there is not a threat anymore. Still a very stupid thing to do over a damn cigarette butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

This is a case of the victim assuming things are over when it wasn't. You just had a altercation with someone, you should remain on high alert and be aware of your surroundings until you are certain there is not a threat anymore. Still a very stupid thing to do over a damn cigarette butt.
    ...it sounds like the guy got sucker punched inside a coffee shop where he wasn't expecting to get attacked and hit his head on a hard counter when he was falling.. sucker punching is the pussiest of shit. Maybe not the definition of 1st degree murder, but the guy clearly attacked someone with the intent to harm and it resulted in death, which fits 2nd degree murder. manslaughter infers mutual combat or accidental, which this wasn't.

Something about victim blaming a guy that died from getting sucker punched just doesn't sit well with me.
    Last edited by Glnger; 2017-08-14 at 04:58 AM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account

Pretty good point, yeah working in security for a while fights and shit you see on TV are never that way in real life, and when you have two people not fucking around a fight or violence last maybe less than 30 seconds. Typically the person who is bigger or knows how to fight generally ends it quickly if their aim is to indeed hurt someone else.

Although someone being killed is rare although not unimaginable. Punches don't really bounce of the head like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

Pretty spot on, yeah this is 100% oddly enough many the times its over the stupidest shit like a shove or misunderstanding. Meaning sucker punches and what not.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis