Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Building muscle mass and getting stronger are two different things. I'm 172lbs and stronger than most people sitting at 200lbs. The only fruit I eat are blueberries and raspberries. Sometimes I'll eat a banana. I do eat various vegetables with my lunch / dinner. There are numerous fruits and vegetables that promote testosterone levels, not to mention the plentiful amino acids they provide.

Deleted
    They are not. You wanna build muscles or you wanna be "healthy"? You don't build muscles with apples and carrots. Fruits contain sugars, so if you wanna get ripped at some point, cut those out. Eat green stuff, they fill you up little bit and contain very low calories, broccoli and salads. Banana is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Different protein sources have different ratios of amino acids. You're right in that a lot of what you'll get here is pseudoscience, but I think you'd be surprised with how ignorant the conventional medical community can be as well.
    so much this..... MDs are not properly trained in the nuisances of nutrition. They receive very basic knowledge on the topic in school. Consult someone specialized in it.

All protein sources are not created equal in that their amino acid profiles are different as Quetzl points out. For the purpose of "muscle building," you need to hit the leucine threshold to maximally stimulate muscle protein synthesis. This is typically around 3g of leucine for most people. As an example, 30g of quality whey is usually enough to hit this threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    As for milk, it's protein value plummets once you pass a certain point in your age because the protein in milk isn't taken in as protein, it is taken in as a carbohydrate, can cause constipation, etc. In your early life (whenever you start drinking to about... 22 years old ish) milk is okay. This is because your have an elevated metabolism due to hormones. Your body metabolizes carbs pretty quickly at this age range, but fats are another story (and it depends on fats too, but that is another topic for a.
    I don't even....Are you serious with this. No, no, and no.

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida View Post

Cheese. Great protein intake for serving size but contains a lot of saturated fat. Nice to have, but don't overdo it.

Milk. As the Governator said in 1976. Milk is for Babies, not Bodybuilders.
    You do know how cheese is made right?
    Last edited by Zelion; 2017-08-14 at 08:48 PM.

Vegan / vegetarian bodybuilders do exist. The mentality of "you must have meat to get big" drives me crazy and has been proven time and time again that it simply isn't true. I don't eat much meat, usually fish when I do. But one of the strongest pound for pound people I know of out there is all about fruits and veges. Personally, pick I diet and roll with it. Add and remove sources as needed. Veges specifically are great w He you're trying to slim down but maintain strength. Certain fruits help accelerate the fat burning process.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    Vegan / vegetarian bodybuilders do exist. The mentality of "you must have meat to get big" drives me crazy and has been proven time and time again that it simply isn't true. I don't eat much meat, usually fish when I do. But one of the strongest pound for pound people I know of out there is all about fruits and veges. Personally, pick I diet and roll with it. Add and remove sources as needed. Veges specifically are great w He you're trying to slim down but maintain strength. Certain fruits help accelerate the fat burning process.
    You could literally eat zero meat and just eat peanuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds... I myself like meat personally, but it's not how I get my protein. You can get huge AND healthy on literally nuts (makes sure they aren't salted or deep fried ect), fish is also amazing as you've said.