Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    That's cos the US doesn't actually have a far left movement.
    Well that's the truth, all of them keep dying off and losing popularity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moderates get called Trumpkins, Nazi apologists, Communists, Welfare babies, Terrorists, Libtards, Alt-rights, Idiots, Racists, Sexists and a bunch of other terms that I don't need to write here.

So they simply hide and let the idiotic extremes beat each other until they get tired of their pettiness.

Hopefully, they'll realize that the identity politics that have overtaken both sides are idiotic.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Moderates get called Trumpkins, Nazi apologists, Communists, Welfare babies, Terrorists, Libtards, Alt-rights, Idiots, Racists, Sexists and a bunch of other terms that I don't need to write here.

So they simply hide and let the idiotic extremes beat each other until they get tired of their pettiness.

Hopefully, they'll realize that the identity politics that have overtaken both sides are idiotic.
    The only issue I see is I feel like we're in a global Weimer Republic, And we're watching the Communists and Nazis fight all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    How does wanting to Keep something exactly the same and prevent any and all development there not counter as a conservative ideology? I mean just because republicans don't want to accept this ideology doesn't mean it's not conservative in nature.
    He seriously is making the argument that conservation is a progressive ideology. This is real life.

Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politi...ame/index.html

Yup, fuck those evil republicans, look at them embracing Nazis.
    Oh, sure. A handful are squawking now that they're taking blowback. They were happy to be quiet and go along up til now, if it meant seizing power.

Real brave, republican. Real brave. Stick to your principles. You are the party of values after all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    He seriously is making the argument that conservation is a progressive ideology. This is real life.
    The Power of the Apprehension of words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    So all Muslims are to blame for terrorism?
    I don't see the larger group embracing terrorism. I see the entire group being blamed for it and demands that they actively reject terrorists in their midst.

So answer this: If it's good enough for you to demand of an amorphous group of millions who share little in common, why isn't it good enough for you to demand from a few dozen directly culpable assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only issue I see is I feel like we're in a global Weimer Republic, And we're watching the Communists and Nazis fight all over again.
    I suppose it's the logical conclusion from a society that values emotional reactions over empirical facts. Emotions aren't inherently bad, but when facts take second place, issues will inevitably arise.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    I don't see the larger group embracing terrorism. I see the entire group being blamed for it and demands that they actively reject terrorists in their midst.

So answer this: If it's good enough for you to demand of an amorphous group of millions who share little in common, why isn't it good enough for you to demand from a few dozen directly culpable assholes.
    Let's not stray this off topic, but to Answer this. When that Amorphous group of millions who share little in common, have those things that ARE in common be the things that promote the terrorists, they should probably sort out those little things that are in common to prevent the terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    Politicians blame the opposing side for everything that is bad and claim that all the changes they want to make will improve the situation. Logic would say that's basically impossible. But voting is a game of power. You don't win by praising the success of your rival.
    It isn't necessarily impossible, depending on who you are looking at the situation from the perspective of.

Imagine you are a multi-millionaire single white christian male. Everything the Republicans are trying to do is going to improve your situation. Your taxes will be lowered, it will be easier for you to invest or open a new business, etc. Literally every plank in the Republican platform offers something of value to you.

Now imagine you are an Islamic single mother living just above the poverty line. Now, almost everything the Republicans want to do will actively harm you and make your life worse in some way. By contrast, the Democratic platform looks a LOT more favorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    The most reasonable way to improve the extremism is by changing the voting system itself, but there are no strong incentives to do that in the United States. It's the voting system that forces politicians to behave like that, not because they are good or bad people. They are simply trying to win according to the rules laid out to them.
    Agreed, a move to ranked voting and parliamentary allocation of electoral votes rather than winner-take-all would greatly help the process. Primaries would still be a festival for the lunatic fringe, and the general election would still be a race to the middle, but at least there would be options. A sane third choice other than Trump or Hillary in 2016 would probably have resulted in us having a different president today.

Deleted
    I suppose it's the logical conclusion from a society that values emotional reactions over empirical facts. Emotions aren't inherently bad, but when facts take second place, issues will inevitably arise.
    Pretty much. The Left in the US likes to claim Trump created the "Post-Facts" World, when in reality, he's merely the symptom of their decades of stupid virtue signaling and contradictory statements.

That is the direct opposite of Progressive. You literally conserve the enviroment as is, preventing any development on the land. It's texbook conservatism Ideology.
    In terms of the dictionary definitions of progressivism and conservatism not as they relate to politics, that's correct.

In terms of politics, at least in the US, conservatism basically amounts to "little to no regulation or oversight on business activities" combined with "small government and as low taxes as possible". Those things combined are a recipe for corporations ravaging the environment, which is decidedly anti-conservation.

Oh, sure. A handful are squawking now that they're taking blowback. They were happy to be quiet and go along up til now, if it meant seizing power.

Real brave, republican. Real brave. Stick to your principles. You are the party of values after all.
    That i'll agree with, I have no doubt that are only now moving away from Trump to save their own skin. That being said that still does not make the Republican party as a whole, Nazi's or Nazi apologists because of extremists in the party.

Let's not stray this off topic, but to Answer this. When that Amorphous group of millions who share little in common, have those things that ARE in common be the things that promote the terrorists, they should probably sort out those little things that are in common to prevent the terrorists.
    So americans will be banding together soon and taking universal responsibility for the Timothy McVeighs and Unabombers and Alex whatsisname crowd-drivers, and the school shooters, because they are an amorphous group of millions who share little in common except their collective nationality yet still bear collective shame.

Good to know, keep us informed on how that progresses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    In terms of the dictionary definitions of progressivism and conservatism not as they relate to politics, that's correct.

In terms of politics, at least in the US, conservatism basically amounts to "little to no regulation or oversight on business activities" combined with "small government and as low taxes as possible". Those things combined are a recipe for corporations ravaging the environment, which is decidedly anti-conservation.
    So basically, people not understanding words. I don't care what some Democrat or Republican thinks, Conservatism is Conservative and is a stance I regularly take that is hardline conservative, alongside the preservation of Historical buildings and a the study of history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much. The Left in the US likes to claim Trump created the "Post-Facts" World, when in reality, he's merely the symptom of their decades of stupid virtue signaling and contradictory statements.
    The good part is that Trump acts as a catalyst. With the events that happened this week, many people who felt forced to take a side feel like they can come out and say "Hey, that's enough, I'm a moderate and I will not buy into these stupid identity politics".
    Google Diversity Memo

Deleted
    So americans will be banding together soon and taking universal responsibility for the Timothy McVeighs and Unabombers and Alex whatsisname crowd-drivers, and the school shooters, because they are an amorphous group of millions who share little in common except their collective nationality yet still bear collective shame.

Good to know, keep us informed on how that progresses.
    Nobody here disowns any of the crazy school shooters or domestic terrorists as Americans. Strange how we need to do that for Islamists and jihadists though, despite Whabadism being a nice little line of Islamic thought that promotes them to commit terrorist acts.

Nobody here disowns any of the crazy school shooters or domestic terrorists as Americans. Strange how we need to do that for Islamists and jihadists though, despite Whabadism being a nice little line of Islamic thought that promotes them to commit terrorist acts.
    Are you trying to make a word play of wahhabism, or are you just not capable of getting that right?

Deleted
    The good part is that Trump acts as a catalyst. With the events that happened this week, many people who felt forced to take a side feel like they can come out and say "Hey, that's enough, I'm a moderate and I will not buy into these stupid identity politics".
    The issue being Trump is the closest to a moderate candidate America can get right now, the Democrats will NEVER employ a moderate, maybe slightly left candidate who will avoid identity politics.

Which is strange, because the Alt-right will literally be defeated by Moderates, not by Communists and Anarchists.

Stop checking news all day and go out, you will see many people chilling and not giving a shit about politics