Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    Most people in this thread do not get that, at all.

Again, you don't seem to understand it at all. It doesn't really matter much what you RP as, the armour and weapons that have been added to WoW basically since BC is not something a roleplayer would wear, because that's not something even a character within the lore would wear, because as I mentioned in my earlier post, not only is it unrealistic to exist in the first place, it's also extremely impractical.

The armour/weapons in WoW follows the "rule of cool", it's only designed to look good, with no regard to practicality. That's all well and good for the people who are into that and don't give a damn about lore or realism, but for those who do, it leaves much to be desired. I think everyone understands that Blizzard, like any company, is on a limited budget and can only do so much with what they have. I think everyone also expects new tier sets to have that flashy lore-breaking unrealistic look.

However, they do create armours and weapons outside of these tier sets, be it quest armour, dungeon armour or something else, those pieces do not carry the expecation of being grand, flashy and animated, they are for the most part overlooked by anyone who seeks to look "badass" or "awesome". This part of the budget could easily be spent to create immersive and lore-supported pieces of armour and weapons, something you might expect a local of the area to wear, as they are not some 1337 elite badass monster slaying hero.

You have plenty of gear to choose from if you want to use the typical flashy badass look, and Blizzard will never stop creating more of it for tier sets, however those who prefer something more humble have nothing.

Tell me, what is the game about? The answer isn't as simple as you probably want to think. There are many ways of playing WoW, none is necessarily more right than the other. As the game director Ion said earlier this year, the WoW player base is very diverse and every aspect of the game (including raiding, even LFR), is played by a minority of the players. The only real exception to this, the only aspects of the game that a majority of players take part of, is the questing aspect to reach max level, as well as some level of participation in the dungeons.

A minority of the playerbase participate in raiding.
    A minority of the playerbase participate in PVP.
    A minority of the playerbase participate in pet battles.
    A minority of the playerbase participate in RP.
    A minority of the playerbase focus solely in collecting transmog/mounts/pets/achievements.

What this game really is about is what you make of it, what you want to do in it.

- - - Updated - - -

If they didn't care, why would they bother spending time on improving roleplayers experience in the game?

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...age=9#post-165

If it is as you claim, wouldn't it have been easier for them to simply ignore the issue, or tell them that they were simply out of luck?
    Thank you. Hopefully people understand now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well pretty early on Blizzard decided they didn't want to develop an RPG anymore so they've been systematically removing traditional RPG systems and stats and moving into more of a kind of action game. They also decided that all the playerbase care about is gear so they started increasing the power creep with the motivation that we (the players) wouldn't like it otherwise and started making armor more flamboyant to appeal to the shallow and vain nature of the players.

To be blunt, they don't care about your community.
    Early xpac sets are always more realistic than the tier counterparts. So this is blatantly false.

Not sure why OP is looking at Tier instead of questing or green drops.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    ...What? When did I say that? So not only do people understand the basic concept of what I'm saying, they're just fabricating stuff now? Fascinating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    ...What? When did I say that? So not only do people understand the basic concept of what I'm saying, they're just fabricating stuff now? Fascinating.
    Not you op, the other poster. I removed the user name so I could highlight the poster above. Sorry for any confusion.

The poster claims the designers don't care about roleplaying, yet they've added new HD sets, helped the RP realms, and implemented most of what the RP community has asked for. I still remember the time when some players opposed the Transmog system we have today.

Anyone other RP'ers feel slightly annoyed that if you want to play a realistic looking medieval-esque character, your only options are ancient vanilla items? RPing is what I like to do most in WoW, but the choices for gear are so limited. Most of the gear that's 60+ just doesn't work well for RP as it's too fancy or outlandish. I'm sort of stuck with very low textured armour if I want to RP with some realism. I mean it's Legion and as an RP'er I feel like I'm always stuck in the past. The game looks and feels a lot better now but I'm still wearing gear from like 2006. It's a shame.
    I completely agree with you. I'd love to see basic dresses, basic leather outfits and basic mail outfits to be entirely remade in HD. I don't Blizzard will do it though. I appreciated when they made the Stormwing guard armor during WoD though, on my server "Stormwind's Guard" is one of the biggest presence in RP and it was nice to see them getting those new HD outfits.

Same with weapons, I wish the basic "mage" staffs from vanilla would be updated. It can't take that much time, seeing how similar they are and how basic they are.

Think the basic gear is suck as old stuff because it's a starting point for the character. The characters are suppose to progress and get fancy stuff the more they adventure. Later stuff is not realistic looking due to the fantasy world Warcraft is set in. Impractical items can be used easily in a world with little limitations, so the best you'll see in terms of new gear being realistic will be transmogrified sets, or if they ever go back and update old stuff.

Gear you get through questing and crafting is a lot more understated and practical looking than end-game and tier pieces, this includes gear added for the 1-60 experience during Cataclysm.

Is there any particular armour class (cloth, leather, mail, plate) and race/gender combo you are struggling with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone other RP'ers feel slightly annoyed that if you want to play a realistic looking medieval-esque character, your only options are ancient vanilla items? RPing is what I like to do most in WoW, but the choices for gear are so limited. Most of the gear that's 60+ just doesn't work well for RP as it's too fancy or outlandish. I'm sort of stuck with very low textured armour if I want to RP with some realism. I mean it's Legion and as an RP'er I feel like I'm always stuck in the past. The game looks and feels a lot better now but I'm still wearing gear from like 2006. It's a shame.
    For the life of me I'll never understand people who complain about realism in a game like WoW.

"I'm forced to wear old gear if I want realism... in this game with dragons, gnomes, alien bipedal goats, walking cows, jamaican trolls, dance studios, swords the size of doors, zombies, fel-infested planets in the sky and floating cities."

I totally understand and respect roleplaying but FFS, WoW checked it realism card at the door before a single line of code existed.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I hear you man, but I think we just need some patience.

That rogue Tier, without the metal shoulders, would look amazing, as you can see there is a leather shoulder underneath it.

The new step up on WoW's gear design in Legion with 3D bits, has made me think that the next Xpack is going to have some seriously awesome -simple gear-. And it's just gonna take our rounds of flamboyantness and epicness to get there. Because there is a different preference from everyone.

Edit: Most of you are replying as if WoW can't have both unrealistic gear and realistic gear. This is entirely possible, as Vanilla proves.. I agree, we should get more realistic stuff too.. But not -stop- the epic/fun/silly stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Early xpac sets are always more realistic than the tier counterparts. So this is blatantly false.

Even green gear is pretty silly at this point. I had quite some trouble finding some proper gear to make my sub rogue a gardener outfit, and mostly had to resort to vanilla gear once again to not look totally out of place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Even green gear is pretty silly at this point. I had quite some trouble finding some proper gear to make my sub rogue a gardener outfit, and mostly had to resort to vanilla gear once again to not look totally out of place.
    Exactly.
    /10chars

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    What did you go for in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    What I mean is, there are great opportunities with the gear already to make sets to do what your after,. Seen perfect sets when doing trial of style for "everyday heroes" stuff. They could do some back updates on some stuff but I don't see it happening nor putting new stuff in.
    So many people not reading the post. Yes there ARE gear sets for that, but he's saying that they're all from Vanilla and all have Vanilla textures. I don't see how much dev time could really be taken out for a set of RP armor every now and again. It's not like they need to animate the skulls to move and shoot blue fire. They would just be like a bland set of leather gear or cloth gear. I mean they updated the models of the armor that the Stormwind guards wear. Why not just make some new armor sets that are really basic looking every other patch or something? The Trial of Style was the perfect place to add new transmogs and they didn't even do that. They added old ones back into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    So many people not reading the post. Yes there ARE gear sets for that, but he's saying that they're all from Vanilla and all have Vanilla textures. I don't see how much dev time could really be taken out for a set of RP armor every now and again. It's not like they need to animate the skulls to move and shoot blue fire. They would just be like a bland set of leather gear or cloth gear. I mean they updated the models of the armor that the Stormwind guards wear. Why not just make some new armor sets that are really basic looking every other patch or something? The Trial of Style was the perfect place to add new transmogs and they didn't even do that. They added old ones back into the game.
    They put fairly plain sets in the 1-60 experience when they did the Cata revamp and you can usually get some understated sets either when leveling through a new expansion or with crafting.

OP, I'm sorry there are so many shitheads in your thread who don't understand the importance of catering to multiple audiences.

I'm a mythic raider so I don't really care about what you RP people do, but I agree there is definitely design space for people who want armor sets designed for locals and not for heroes.

For anybody saying "Oh hurr durr this is a fantasy game it's unrealistic,": Have you looked at the NPCs added in each expansion? Look at Khadgar's outfit. It looks pretty normal to me. Looks pretty realistic. He doesn't have shoulder pads the size of his head shooting out fire, frost, and arcane magic into the sky every 3 seconds. Look at the guards walking around. Look at the local people added in. A lot of the villagers in Highmountain are not wearing crazy ass armor. Why could they not take these shitty armor sets that they design at the beginning of an expansion for quest gear and dungeon gear and not make it look just a touch more realistic? Nobody who wants their super mega epic armor is ever going to transmog to that shit gear anyway. Just make it a little more shit so it looks like what a standard guy cruising out in the lands would wear and then blammo. You just accidentally made a subsection of WoW's population extremely happy without sacrificing anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    They put fairly plain sets in the 1-60 experience when they did the Cata revamp and you can usually get some understated sets either when leveling through a new expansion or with crafting.
    Those are still mostly low resolution and the gear you get from leveling and from professions now is nowhere near sensible for an RPer to use unless they want to look like a hero. You're nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Those are still mostly low resolution and the gear you get from leveling and from professions now is nowhere near sensible for an RPer to use unless they want to look like a hero. You're nuts.
    Cata gear is nowhere near the low resolution of Vanilla, in fact I'd say anything from WotLK onwards (and a few TBC pieces) look pretty decent in the current game. Also I strongly disagree that leveling and crafted gear all looks like raid-style, magic-spewing super-hero outfits. Lots of it can be used to give the impression of a low-powered adventurer. I can see how someone might object to particular themes but that doesn't stop the gear being "bland" or "basic."

Why are you roleplaying within the Warcraft universe if you aren't a fan of the Warcraft fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, this is World of Warcraft, we can't get that close to realistic armors for a reason. Though, there is many weapons and a few armor pieces to look in to.
    Well how about we scratch out "realistic" and replace it with "consistent with the game in its original incarnation".

Some people wanna be high-res footmen with normal footman weaponry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    For a start why would you want to RP something out of TV series GoT when WoW is basically a high fantasy with science fiction elements, do you hate magic and fantasy that much?

Sorry I always get baffled by people who just want "realism" in a fantasy world.
    So basic footmen don't exist in WoW, huh?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Footman

Nope, simple and "realistic" just doesn't exist in WoW. You're totally right. This is just wannabe GoT roleplay.

Absolutely dense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    HAHJAHAHAHA are you guys fucking kidding me.

Wow is a high fantasy game. It was never supposed to be realistic.

You guys are so playing the wrong game lol
    Again. Footmen are a thing in the Warcraft universe. Not everyone wants to be the fucking super-hero in this game, eh?

Get your head out of your arse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    So you want to RP a villager fighting dragons? You do realize that they eat villagers? You can just strip down to your underwear and die - that's RPing a villager.

And yet, i fail to see how it's a somehow a bad thing that to wear peasant-looking armour you have to do 1-60 content

And i fail to see how it's a problem that you can't wear purple items while RPing a villager
    Mate. You've clearly never roleplayed.

Dragonslaying in roleplay is EXTRAORDINARILY rare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    And to further drive home your point for those that still don't understand what you're talking about: That gear is low resolution. It'd be great if Blizzard added leather gear that met the current standard of textures.
    You just told the OP of the thread that he doesn't understand his own point.

...what?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    So you don't know anything about the lore? how could you possibly RP if you just do it because it's popular? Lol
    ...you're kidding, right?

For RP to be good, there needs to be a fucking community for you to interact with.

Nobody wants to just RP alone in an empty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Why are you roleplaying within the Warcraft universe if you aren't a fan of the Warcraft fantasy?
    Over-the-top armour is not the extent of the Warcraft fantasy.

Footmen.

Footmen.

FOOTMEN.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    No i'm not kidding, he must be ass at RP if he doesn't know lore.

Try going to wyrmrest accord not knowing what you're talking about you'll be swiftly ignored.
    Nope. I've been on WrA for 7 years and I've never seen a single person be chased away or ignored for not knowing what they're talking about since late Cata/early MoP. We try to HELP people understand the lore, and we only ignore people who seem absolutely entrenched in their lorebreaking.

*coughcoughScarletsinStormwind*

Annnnd you're an idiot. I know this. This is the WHOLE POINT OF THE THREAD, that if I want to do that, which I do, I'm stuck with low res textures.
    Too bad? You want high res textures on common looking items. You think Blizz is going to take the time to devote resources to such a thing?