Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    For someone accusing others of lacking in logic and reason, you seem to be forgetting about context.
    Not really.

If a Swastika was on my property I would have it removed regardless to what historic value someone wants to give it and I am not even fucking Jewish. Shit I would have the same attitude if was a General Custer's monument and I am not Native American either.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Not really.

If a Swastika was on my property I would have it removed regardless to what historic value someone wants to give it and I am not even fucking Jewish. Shit I would have the same attitude if was a General Custer's monument and I am not Native American either.
    The difference is it is your property, which then gives you the right to pretty much do whatever you want with it. Historical or not you own it. This is owned by the town, which means one individuals perspective on it means very little if the rest of the town disagree's with you.

The fun part in the South will be when some of the people get to places in Tennessee. A ton of the ones here are on private property, not owned by the cities in any way. We've got a town down here that has one right in the downtown center and they can't do a thing with it because it is privately owned. Not to mention in Tennessee it is illegal to remove state/city owned ones without a waiver from the State ( and good luck on that ).

I don't get the uproar, either people don't understand or just look for anything to be triggered over these days. A swastika is angled this is up rite, you know like the Hindu religious symbol, it even stats in the article that it came from a ship that pre dated WWII. Good lord people these days

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    People who are upset about the removal of the confederate statues, confederate flag, and Nazi swastikas because of concerns that we will lose history will be absolutely thrilled to find out about the existence of history books.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    People who are upset about the removal of the confederate statues, confederate flag, and Nazi swastikas because of concerns that we will lose history will be absolutely thrilled to find out about the existence of history books.
    Considering how little they get used in public education these days I'm not sure that is exactly a good thing to fall back on. I mean heck, I knew more history than my freaking teacher did in high school, mainly because they were all football or basketball coaches and the last thing they gave a damn about was some history class they were forced to teach.

Considering that is about the extent that large amounts of people ever get when it comes to history, there is a reason some of us are worried.

they should replace it with the statue of Robert E Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SenpaiDean View Post
    As long as it's the asian commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by SenpaiDean View Post
    Talk about being even more out of place

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I say it's their town. let them do what they want with it. Some random dude walking around shouldn't be the one making a decision about what should stay or go.
    I agree with this as much as I agree with the fact that that confederate statue should not have been torn down. We keep history to remind us what we do right and what we do wrong. Confederate and Nazi were bad, and we need to remind ourselves to never go back.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference is it is your property, which then gives you the right to pretty much do whatever you want with it.
    Not exclusively, there are certain laws concerning that, but regardless this doesn't seem to be a property issue, this is a town issue on what I would imagine concerns the town, they are OK with a Nazi Swastika.

I am sure if it said fuck the police or kill the white man, and was a red N.W.A they would feel the same way, meaning they are on every level ok with being and supporting Nazi's

Historical or not you own it.
    Well maybe if it's some historical artifact etc, in the U.S there could be some contest to that legal claim, I mean probably in terms of financial reward. But if say an Indian burial ground was on my property or fossils that were of dinosaurs, yeah maybe not.

This is owned by the town, which means one individuals perspective on it means very little if the rest of the town disagree's with you.
    So fuck them they are Nazi's and I didn't put this thread up, but that is my opinion

The fun part in the South will be when some of the people get to places in Tennessee. A ton of the ones here are on private property, not owned by the cities in any way. We've got a town down here that has one right in the downtown center and they can't do a thing with it because it is privately owned. Not to mention in Tennessee it is illegal to remove state/city owned ones without a waiver from the State ( and good luck on that ).
    OK
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Good for that town, its about time people stop caving in to looney SJW's.

It can be moved to a museum if enough of the town's inhabitants want it so. Otherwise Mr Fleischer can stfu. He's a dick in any case for trying to paint over it without sanction.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    I don't get the uproar, either people don't understand or just look for anything to be triggered over these days. A swastika is angled this is up rite, you know like the Hindu religious symbol, it even stats in the article that it came from a ship that pre dated WWII. Good lord people these days
    Hitler became chancellor in 1933, way before WWII. depends now when this ship crossed the oceans.

INB4 Antifa swarm their town and "peacefully" protest.

What kind of swastika was it?

So fuck them they are Nazi's and I didn't put this thread up, but that is my opinion
    No, they are not nazis. Jumping to such conclusions so easily is a real problem among the left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really.

But that's being obtuse in the same way this perpetrator was. It is particularly hypocritical because he claims it doesn't matter what it meant on the past. Okay, but the symbol having a nazi connotation is a thing of the past too, and, as far as we know, this canadian town is not afflicted with any ideological conflict as you see in the states.

So if i had a rock in my property with a swastika because i have an affinity for eastern religion, what right would people have to have it removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    But that's being obtuse in the same way this perpetrator was. It is particularly hypocritical because he claims it doesn't matter what it meant on the past. Okay, but the symbol having a nazi connotation is a thing of the past too, and, as far as we know, this canadian town is not afflicted with any ideological conflict as you see in the states.
    I wonder if he'd have the guts to go to an Asian country and try defacing all them ancient swastika symbols, just because!

Damn, at this point I seriously want these lunatics to come here and start removing swastikas in Buddhist temples, they'll be thrown to prison for vandalism and desecration quite fast T_T

There they'll have plenty of time to think about their behaviour.

Or even better, they should go and do that in Singapore or Malaysia
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-08-23 at 08:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The obvious implication here the OP is trying to draw is that is either must be a piece of history and therefore is valued and on display, or it is worthless garbage and must be destroyed.

Fortunately the world is not so black and white (pun intended) and the OP is one of the most transparent people on this website.

The comparison here to statues and monuments of the Confederacy (because lets face it, we all know the OP's political alignment) is flawed. The anchor is a trinket, a souvenir, something to giggle and gossip about and draw in morons from around the world to take their photo by it. It's no different than the world's largest rubberband-ball or such. It is not something that symbolizes a particular set of values popular in that area of Canada. It is not an icon which many locals revere and look up to as a symbol of what their country should stand for it. It's a trinket and the locals regard it as such.

You cannot compare it to say, a statue of Robert E Lee standing tall and glorious in a Southern city. They are completely different.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.