Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Good on the construction company. What an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    He could always apply for a job at the confederate flag factory.

How do you like those "sh-ts and giggles", Mr. Lipiec?

Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    Can't say I know American law but are they in there rights? Just wondering if this will get turned around and he can say he broke no laws and was therefore fired without cause and end up cashing a rather large cheque at the end of all this.
    Theres no law anywhere in the world about not being fired. Those deals are made with unions representing you pretty much everywhere in the western world. Unions probably would have been the first to consider getting him fired to begin with lol. The problem was not even the flag itself, its his public response to it that made them fire him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    Congratulations, you've found a loophole. People who don't do anything illegal can now still be afraid that they might be fired for things they do OUTSIDE of work for things that have NOTHING to do with their work.

Fun fact. The USSR and the nazis also used to fire people for wrong-think rather then jail them (unless the offense was major). Why clump up the jails when the social punishment is fear enough to make sure no one speaks out against the party?
    There is no loophole, once again illiterate idiots cant read up laws before arguing them. A private construction company can fire you because you look funny. There is no law anywhere that would prevent this, only a union within the working force that would make rules against it, but even then, the union works with the employer and in a case like this, he would still get fired.

Freedom of speech never applied to your interaction with private industries and other citizens, only with the government. Thats all freedom of speech always was, always will be. Its so exactly what you just said, USSR and the Nazi style government cant meddle with speech. But Private companies and citizens always could within their propriety. Its also a right. If you are in my house and look at me funny, i can kick you out, nobody can legally do anything about it period. A private citizen can silence you every time they want to. Only the government has its hand tied by freedom of speech, because they are the supreme authority, hence they cant have that ability and they dont. Theres a difference between getting fired and arrested.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-08-24 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Getting fired is not at the core of freedom of speech.
    Yes it is... that's a company exercising its freedom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    I never really understood the point of firing some one unless they are actually proven to be bad at their job

CONS

1. The person will not change his mind about his ideology, in fact it will probably harden as he will think you've "proven him right" by attacking him
    2. You are removing a contributing tax payer and making him now leech on welfare. You are now literally supporting that person with your taxes
    3. A punishment should fit the crime. Atempting to fire some one will have reprecusions not on the person itself but on his whole family (wife/kids/parents)
    4. Most campaigns to fire people are done towards individuals who don't even break the law for things they didn't even predict it will get them fired. In this case for instance, people have been flying the confederate flag for decades and not got fired once. What makes this guy so special?
    5. It turns people into martyrs making others rally to their cause as their freinds/familly and comunity will view them as opressed.
    6. It just pushes the problem under the rug. You have not convinced the guy to drop his ideology. He is still there spreding it and now that he has no job he can do activism full time
    7. have seen people getting fired for things they didnt even do. Aka YOU MIGHT BE WRONG. What if the guy was actually flying the flag as a joke? Does he ever get to say his side of the story? Does it even matter for the blood thirsty sadistic mob that just wants him to suffer

Pros

1. You feel good about yourself and think you're an excelent person for removing the breadwinner in some ones household

The reality is that the only way to change peoples views is through dialogue and treating them like actual human beings regardless of how idiotic their ideology is.
    But that actually takes work and requires time and patience, something millenials dont seem to have .

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations, you've found a loophole. People who don't do anything illegal can now still be afraid that they might be fired for things they do OUTSIDE of work for things that have NOTHING to do with their work.

Fun fact. The USSR and the nazis also used to fire people for wrong-think rather then jail them (unless the offense was major). Why clump up the jails when the social punishment is fear enough to make sure no one speaks out against the party?
    1. who cares if the person will not change their mind? They continue to not burden the company so... who gives a fuck.
    2. so... he's attributing a negative image to the company which can cost the company, which in turn means less taxes.
    3. the punishment does fit the crime... freedom of speech, freedom of expression. You don't have a right to a job.
    4. people should expect to be fired when they're out there like that guy was.
    5. matyrs, so the fuck what? These idiots will follow and believe whatever they want.
    6. it doesn't push the problem under the rug it actually brings the problem very out in the open, we are talking about it now aren't we?
    7. you can't call your boss an idiot and then expect not to be fired. I don't know why people want to be able to fly a racist flag and not get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by baconjesus View Post
    Still though, it's bizarre, why would someone in Canada even give a shit enough to want to display a confederate flag?
    German Neo-Nazis are forbidden by German law from using the Swastika. So what flag do they fly instead? Confederate flags.

Its almost like its become an international symbol of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    The same beast, and you can't see it.
    You can't seriously think that ESPN firing somebody because they happen to share their super generic name with a Confederate general is on the same level as a construction company firing a temp contractor who was flying a Confederate flag at the job site, right?

I mean this has to be trolling.

Edit: just read the other thread, the ESPN guy wasn't even fired, he just called play by play for a different game not in Charlottesville.
    Last edited by Antiganon; 2017-08-24 at 01:22 AM.

muhahahahahaha! lets ruin his life!

Play Stupid Games
    Win Stupid Prizes

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Conflicted, he seems like a fucking tool which I guess is ironic given his work at a construction site, but now he is gonna be unemployed and resentful.. Thats not a good combination.
    I don't know why this is an argument. "Oh no what he did was terrible but now he got punished for it now he's going to be mad and unemployed. "

Everyone is so quick to go "Lololol this millenial liberal got fired for some stupid request regarding shoewear on casual Friday he was asking for it lmao" but the moment someone get's fired for marching a little too close to the swastika banner or flying too close to the Confederate sun and all of a sudden everyone is throwing up their hands bemoaning "Now all you are doing is making them madder and retreat back into their echo chambers"

There may be a sliver of hope in rehabilitating Confederate and Nazi "sympathizers" when they are in their younger years, but this was a grown ass man waving a flag that's pretty universally known for flying above the slitted backs of the Negro in southern United States for "Shits and Giggles." He was a lost cause to begin with. If he found a moment of introspection that maybe he shouldn't have done it and is a better man for it, awesome. If he slouches back in his home grumbling about "them fuckin' Ess Jay Double Ewe's ruinin' mah fun!" ohhhh well. Maybe explain to your kids why waving that flag was worth the cut in their Happy Meal budget.
    Last edited by NoiseTank13; 2017-08-24 at 01:39 AM.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    I don't know why this is an argument. "Oh no what he did was terrible but now he got punished for it now he's going to be mad and unemployed. "

Everyone is so quick to go "Lololol this millenial liberal got fired for some stupid request regarding shoewear on casual Friday he was asking for it lmao" but the moment someone get's fired for marching a little too close to the swastika banner or flying too close to the Confederate sun and all of a sudden everyone is throwing up their hands bemoaning "Now all you are doing is making them madder and retreat back into their echo chambers"

There may be a sliver of hope in rehabilitating Confederate and Nazi "sympathizers" when they are in their younger years, but this was a grown ass man waving a flag that's pretty universally known for flying above the slitted backs of the Negro in southern United States for "Shits and Giggles." He was a lost cause to begin with. If he found a moment of introspection that maybe he shouldn't have done it and is a better man for it, awesome. If he slouches back in his home grumbling about "them fuckin' Ess Jay Double Ewe's ruinin' mah fun!" ohhhh well. Maybe explain to your kids why waving that flag was worth the cut in their Happy Meal budget.
    Don't get me wrong the guy is trash and firing him is justified, all I am saying is that to me he seem to be the type of person who'd crank his bigotry into overdrive and possibly do something reckless that could put others like his former employer in harms way. Of course thats pure speculation, either way the workplace is likely better off without such a person.

While the business is 100% within their rights. I don't think this is the best way to approach the problem. You are only going to marginalize them further and make them feel more justified in acting out.
    yea... if only more employers thought about what the employee will do after getting fired. ;p
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

We need to make a list of communists in Hollywood now.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Don't get me wrong the guy is trash and firing him is justified, all I am saying is that to me he seem to be the type of person who'd crank his bigotry into overdrive and possibly do something reckless that could put others like his former employer in harms way. Of course thats pure speculation, either way the workplace is likely better off without such a person.
    the rate of people going postal after being laid off/fired is prreeetty low enough to not be a factor

and if he does goes postal he's even dumber than I thought.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Giving their beliefs consideration is what makes them feel more justified. If this type of action makes them feel justified then they're just irrational and so it really doesn't matter what you do at the end of the day.
    Isolating them is arguably worse; people who feel marginalized still have the need for acceptance and will seek it out, even if the source of that acceptance comes from a group that is principally driven by hatred. It is part of why terrorist organizations tend target younger people when seeking to radicalize individuals. Mind you, the difference between hate groups and terrorist groups is the body count.

Ideological war is best fought in the classroom; education is the solution to problem of ignorance. In the age of the internet it isn't possible to bomb an ideology out of existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

While the business is 100% within their rights. I don't think this is the best way to approach the problem. You are only going to marginalize them further and make them feel more justified in acting out.
    They should feel marginalized.

Well, that's just natural selection, then. When you do something intentionally stupid that should be completely obvious as to get you fired, then bitch and whine that you got fired, then you didn't deserve the job to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    It's the corporate SJW knee-jerk reaction. Fire your problems before Twitter burns your company to the ground. Social media is the cancer driving today's issues.
    Typically.
    The loudest voice gets the attention.

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone in Canada cares about the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, let alone to complain to a guy's employer, and then for that employer to subsequently fire him.

I know Canada loves all things American so much that they happily adopt all our cultural symbols as their own /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ring-1.4257178

Hahaha.

What do you expect really? Hopefully he learns his lesson right?
    Do you hear me
    Do you care
    Do you hear me
    Do you care
    My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
    The words are audible but I have my doubts
    That you realize what has been said
    You look at me as if you're in a daze
    It's like the feeling at the end of the page
    When you realize you don't know what you just read
    What are words for when no one listens anymore
    What are words for when no one listens
    What are words for when no one listens it's no use talkin at all
    I might as well go up and talk to a wall
    'cause all the words are having no effect at all
    It's a funny thing am I all alone
    Something has to happen to change the direction
    What little filters through is giving you the wrong impression
    It's a sorry state I say to myself
    Do you hear me
    Do you care
    Do you hear me
    Do you care
    Let me get by
    Hope to see you soon
    When will I know
    Doors three feet wide with no locks open
    Walking always backwards in the faces of strangers
    Time could be my friend
    But it's less than nowhere now
    Less than nowhere now
    Less than nowhere now
    Now
    Ow ow ow
    Pursue it further and another thing you'll find
    Not only are they deaf and dumb they could be going blind and no one notices
    I think I'll dye my hair blue
    Media overload bombarding you with action
    It's getting near impossible to cause distraction
    Someone answer me before I pull out the plug
    Do you hear me
    Do you care
    Do you hear me
    Do you care
    Tell me what are words for

People with dyed hair colors that are not normal colors should be banished. You want some weird color in your hair, like purple, blue, orange, green?. Well you are getting banished. Look you are a soft target in the coming civil war, so bye.