Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Hurricane Harvey photos and such

It has been raining here practically nonstop for 72 hours. Tornado alarms have been going off practically every hour so.

Here are a few links to some photos.
    https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...er-harvey.html

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-weat...g-11969380.php

Please no politics. People have lost everything including their lives. This is not the place for that.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-08-28 at 07:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's so crazy D: I love floods. Scary but so awesome at the same time. Nothing of the sort ever in here. No heavy rains, no high winds, no tornadoes, nothing. I should be grateful for that.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    That's so crazy D: I love floods. Scary but so awesome at the same time. Nothing of the sort ever in here. No heavy rains, no high winds, no tornadoes, nothing. I should be grateful for that.
    Sounds like someone has never had to deal with the clean up after a hurricane.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Sounds like someone has never had to deal with the clean up after a hurricane.
    Recovery is expected to take years. My family has already started gathering clothes for donations. Public schools and the Universities have been shut down for the week. Currently both airports are shut down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Recovery is expected to take years. My family has already started gathering clothes for donations. Public schools and the Universities have been shut down for the week. Currently both airports are shut down as well.
    I don't doubt it. I lived in the area during Ike. Nothing close to this and I still didn't have power for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    I don't doubt it. I lived in the area during Ike. Nothing close to this and I still didn't have power for 3 weeks.
    My parents didn't have power after Ike for 3 weeks. We took a direct hit with Ike. With Harvey we are in the dirty side. The dirty is worse. And we still have 5 more days of Harvey. The hurricane isn't over. This is being called a 1,000 year flood. It isn't a joke.

My parents didn't have power after Ike for 3 weeks. We took a direct hit with Ike. With Harvey we are in the dirty side. The dirty is worse. And we still have 5 more days of Harvey. The hurricane isn't over. This is being called a 1,000 year flood. It isn't a joke.
    I lived around the Galleria area. Have you seen anything from around there? I also have family in League City that I'm keeping tabs on. So far they are okay.

Stay safe.

Edit: found the floodplain map. Looks like the apartments behind mine were in the plain, but not the ones I lived in.
    Last edited by Matchles; 2017-08-28 at 05:03 AM.

I lived around the Galleria area. Have you seen anything from around there? I also have family in League City that I'm keeping tabs on. So far they are okay.

Stay safe.
    Midtown is horrible. There were tornadoes in Bellaire(my area), River Oaks and Meyerland. I don't think any touched down though.

All freeways in Houston are under water. Here is an interactive camera site you can use to view the entire city in real time.
    http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/c...H-69_Southwest
    That is Southwest freeway at 610(59&610). Hwy 59 recently got renamed to I-69 BTW.
    As you can see, there are zero people out on the roads.

Midtown is horrible. There were tornadoes in Bellaire(my area), River Oaks and Meyerland. I don't think any touched down though.

All freeways in Houston are under water. Here is an interactive camera site you can use to view the entire city in real time.
    http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/c...H-69_Southwest
    That is Southwest freeway at 610(59&610). Hwy 59 recently got renamed to I-69 BTW.
    As you can see, there are zero people out on the roads.
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them.

Take care, hope you all pull through this okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Please be safe HTown Fam.

Up in Austin - hopefully the recovery is better than what the media is showing

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them.

Take care, hope you all pull through this okay.
    I am high and not so dry so far. I just looked outside and the water is up to the curb. One of daughters has water up halfway to in her driveway. One of my nieces, in South Shore Harbor has water licking at her door. Just have to wait it out for a couple more days or so and hope the water recedes soon.

It has been raining here practically nonstop for 72 hours. Tornado alarms have been going off practically every hour so.

Here are a few links to some photos.
    https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...er-harvey.html

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-weat...g-11969380.php
    WOW those NY Times photos are crazy. Flood Waters can carry all sorts of nasties..So keep safe Y'all

In the Words of Apollo 13

Last edited by Blobfish; 2017-08-28 at 06:07 AM.

I am high and not so dry so far. I just looked outside and the water is up to the curb. One of daughters has water up halfway to in her driveway. One of my nieces, in South Shore Harbor has water licking at her door. Just have to wait it out for a couple more days or so and hope the water recedes soon.
    Hope there's no rain down there for a while and everything gets back to normal.

Dog carrying a bag of dog food.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

More photos from the area. CNN has some good coverage if you are interested.

http://www.statesman.com/news/amazin...gFbUJ/amp.html

7+ Year Old Account
    The craziest image I've seen so far has been-

Now it's all good and well that the nursing home facility owner chose to send this photo to her husband who then tweeted this photo to get them help, BUT as a facility owner, wouldn't you have precautions in place? I know if a relative of mine were waist deep in water before a tweet for help was placed, I'd be moving them somewhere else.

Seems like the only emergency protocol in place here was, let's hope the water doesn't get too high and they don't drown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Floods just destroy absolutely everything. It's terrible. Having gone through my own floods during 2011 (pretty much an inland tsunami type of flash flood) ripping your life away in seconds. Is devastating. Feels for Houston and surrounding areas!

10+ Year Old Account
    And soon the people in Texas will be standing around with their hands out wanting the government to rebuild their homes, when they should have purchased home owners insurance or renters insurance to cover their losses. Ill be dammed if one cent of my tax money should go to those irresponsible people. Also anyone who refused to evacuate when they were told to, should be forced to repay every cent that was incurred in rescuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post

Now it's all good and well that the nursing home facility owner chose to send this photo to her husband who then tweeted this photo to get them help, BUT as a facility owner, wouldn't you have precautions in place? I know if a relative of mine were waist deep in water before a tweet for help was placed, I'd be moving them somewhere else.

Seems like the only emergency protocol in place here was, let's hope the water doesn't get too high and they don't drown.
    It is not that easy. Have you ever been to an assisted living or NH? It is incredibly difficult to move people that live their because they are not well. Many cannot walk and getting them onto a van and to some place else would be incredibly difficult and confusing to them. It would also take days to get them, their medications, information etc around to be able to move them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    And soon the people in Texas will be standing around with their hands out wanting the government to rebuild their homes, when they should have purchased home owners insurance or renters insurance to cover their losses. Ill be dammed if one cent of my tax money should go to those irresponsible people. Also anyone who refused to evacuate when they were told to, should be forced to repay every cent that was incurred in rescuing them.
    Wow, glad most people are not like you. I also hope you are never in a position where you need help with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    you do realize that homeowners doesn't cover floods right? You need a special policy for that, and most people don't need that policy outside of the 1 in 500 year events like this. Sure its not that expensive but I can over look the inland people that don't have it. Those that live in flood plans and choose not to have it though yeah..no sympathy. Nor should auto insurance cover those that drove vehicle into the flooded streets
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post

I saw in an interview last night the lady who oversees the facility said she was told not to evacuate before hand by some local official.