Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Current damages here in SE Tx stands at one swamped AC unit and a tuscan pine sleeping on its side

Could be worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even in the time where Trump threatens Mexico with paying for the Wall --yes, he's still doing that -- Mexico is taking the high ground.

Mexico offers to help Hurricane Harvey victims in Texas

Mexico's government is reaching out to the U.S. to offer help for the victims of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

Mexico’s Foreign Minister Luis Videgaray spoke with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott by phone Sunday evening to offer aid "as good neighbors should always do in trying times," the Dallas Morning News reported.

"As we have done in the past, Mexico stands with Texas in this difficult moment," said Carlos Gonzalez Gutierrez, the Mexican consul general in Austin.

"The government of Mexico takes this opportunity to express its full solidarity with the people and government of the United States for the damages caused by Hurricane Harvey in Texas," the Mexican Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Houston got 25 inches of rain over the weekend from the storm, with much more still expected. Harvey has caused massive deadly flooding and mass evacuations.

Mexico offered similar help in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans, sending troops, food, medicine and water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Trump has been praised for this hurricane handling?
    source?
    Actually the governor of TX and mayor of Houston have been pretty clear, Trump's told them "anything you want, you get". The best thing ANY president can do in such a situation is precisely that.

Of course...it might help if he just stopped talking.

"HISTORIC rainfall in Houston, and all over Texas. Floods are unprecedented, and more rain coming. Spirit of the people is incredible.Thanks!"

....Thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    ....Thanks?
    Thanks Obama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    and Hurricanes in the past since he has helped others with his own money.
    First of all, hurricanes plural? Hahahaha.

Second of all, you are most likely talking about one year ago, when he was told NOT to come to Louisiana in no uncertain terms, handed out Play-Doh for 47 seconds, and gave $100,000 to the church where FRC pastor Tony Perkins preaches. The Family Research Council is a well-known anti-gay lobbying group that many consider to be a hate group, due to their proven words and actions.

Trump was not universally praised for it. In fact, a lot of people, even residents, thought it was a bad idea. It was basically a photo op that pulled police and firefighters away from rescue and recovery efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    They should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and stop asking the government for handouts.
    Hoping to whatever god is out there that this is sarcastic, and even then it's not great sarcasm, but "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" used to mean "to do something impossible" and not work hard and attain things.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    Trump as been praised for how he handled this Hurricane and Hurricanes in the past since he has helped others with his own money. The Liberals do not want to acknowledge any good he does though, they can't stand it when he is the good guy.
    So Trump has been president for decades and liberals have refused to acknowledge it

Even in the time where Trump threatens Mexico with paying for the Wall --yes, he's still doing that -- Mexico is taking the high ground.

Mexico offers to help Hurricane Harvey victims in Texas

Actually the governor of TX and mayor of Houston have been pretty clear, Trump's told them "anything you want, you get". The best thing ANY president can do in such a situation is precisely that.

Of course...it might help if he just stopped talking.

"HISTORIC rainfall in Houston, and all over Texas. Floods are unprecedented, and more rain coming. Spirit of the people is incredible.Thanks!"

....Thanks?
    Thanks...for making him look good.

All roads lead back to his ego. That's all that matters and all he is capable of.

10+ Year Old Account
    FEMA says they are expecting 450,000 people to ask for some sort of disaster assistance. Huh. Considering 600 to 800 thousand homes were lost to Katrina, this 450k number sounds low to me, based on the storm's strength and floods that continue to mount. Is it because TX is so spread out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is another link with details on how to help:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...vey/603879001/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Thanks...for making him look good.

All roads lead back to his ego. That's all that matters and all he is capable of.
    Can Kelly keep Trump under control, so tomorrow's visit isn't about evil media and liberals? Can Trump focus, or will it be how Trump corporation working with Russia to build a Trump tower in Moscow during his candidacy nothingmeatloaf, be sprinkled between 'sad'?

"At this time I want to extend my greatest compassion to the victim of this great tragedy. I don't mean the brain damaged reporting of me working with Russia, sad. To all the victims of this rain, very sad."
    Last edited by Felya; 2017-08-28 at 01:49 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Oh, good, wind, water, someone dying in a fire -- yeah, an actual fire -- contaminated drinking water with all the mud in it, and now, motherfucking allligators on top of everything else.

I'm pretty sure that's all five elements butt-fucking Texas. I hope it doesn't get any worse but...those forecasts...
    Can't forget MMOC people bending over backwards trying to politicize it before it even hit. Pretty sad...
    Millions of people are flooded here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Can Kelly keep Trump under control, so tomorrow's visit isn't about evil media and liberals?
    He better. Honestly, a disaster is a potential gold mine for a president. Unlike a war, they don't need to Commander in Chief it, they just point at the disaster, say "that is bad, but my team will fix it, thoughts and prayers" and stay the fuck out of everyone's way. WIN. Cue confetti and balloons.

Bush 43W blew it by having the city fire up emergency generators, giving a speech in the 20 seconds lights were on, then fleeing. Dumb fucking president makes a dumb fucking move. Not the only reason his ratings tanked, but part and parcel no doubt.

If Teleprompter Trump shows up, he could start clawing his way out of "worst president ever" territory by saying "this is bad, my team will fix it, thoughts and prayers" and then shutting the fuck up. Maybe Kelly will tell him this. You know what, maybe EVERYONE will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Can't forget MMOC people bending over backwards trying to politicize it before it even hit. Pretty sad...
    Millions of people are flooded here.
    You can at least respond to one of those. This just feels like you came in to say the above and settled on that post to reply with it. Have a wonderful day!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

FEMA says they are expecting 450,000 people to ask for some sort of disaster assistance. Huh. Considering 600 to 800 thousand homes were lost to Katrina, this 450k number sounds low to me, based on the storm's strength and floods that continue to mount. Is it because TX is so spread out?
    Everything in Texas is spread out a lot, large state and land is cheap. For example Houston is larger than New York city land wise, but pop wise Houston is just over 2 mil while New York is just over 8 mil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    Everything in Texas is spread out a lot, large state and land is cheap. For example Houston is larger than New York city land wise, but pop wise Houston is just over 2 mil while New York is just over 8 mil.
    Granted -- that's one of the issues we saw with Sandy -- but still, Houston is far larger than New Orleans, and Louisiana is just as sparsely populated as Texas. So I'm still wondering how a hurricane people are saying is just as big and powerful, but staying well past its welcome, is going to do less damage than Katrina, at least, in terms of number of people who need assistance.

Hopefully, the number is low because the damage is less. I'd be okay with less damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn. The National Weather Service just reported that the latest rainfall in Houston, sixteen inches in one day, breaks the record.

Which was set the previous day, at fourteen inches.

The average annual rainfall is fifty and they got thirty over the weekend.

hmm neat... i'm planning to go to live (and work) in the US in a few years, so living in a nice city would be nice (a city that isn't expensive as hell).
    a person with a master's degree in public policy would be welcome in your country?

Damn. The National Weather Service just reported that the latest rainfall in Houston, sixteen inches in one day, breaks the record.

You know, in Santiago it rained like 2-3 inches in a weekend and because the city is so underprepared for that, we had a power outage for like half of the living population, for like 3 days. And the next night it fucking snowed, a thing that hasnt happened since the 70s

i really, really hope that you city planning is better than ours. Also, yay for global warming
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2017-08-28 at 02:59 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Granted -- that's one of the issues we saw with Sandy -- but still, Houston is far larger than New Orleans, and Louisiana is just as sparsely populated as Texas. So I'm still wondering how a hurricane people are saying is just as big and powerful, but staying well past its welcome, is going to do less damage than Katrina, at least, in terms of number of people who need assistance.

Hopefully, the number is low because the damage is less. I'd be okay with less damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Might have something to due with Houston being above sea-level while New Orleans is below sea-level, not sure just taking a guess.

Also noticed the storm isn't done with Houston yet. It's currently moving out into the Gulf again where it's expected to pick up speed then slam back into Houston.

- - - Updated - - -

hmm neat... i'm planning to go to live (and work) in the US in a few years, so living in a nice city would be nice (a city that isn't expensive as hell).
    a person with a master's degree in public policy would be welcome in your country?
    I live in Texas myself. Not sure on the job market for your degree, but housing and cost of living is pretty low down here, just need to like the hot summers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Texas myself. Not sure on the job market for your degree, but housing and cost of living is pretty low down here, just need to like the hot summers.
    My issue with most places in Texas was the urban sprawl... more or less have to drive everywhere.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I mean, my university degree is Business/Economics, and i plan to have a masters degree in public policies (and maybe another one in marketing, so it would be easier for me to find a job), so there's that. But thanks!
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You can at least respond to one of those. This just feels like you came in to say the above and settled on that post to reply with it. Have a wonderful day!
    Nah...I won't get pulled into your capitivy of negativity, thank you very much.
    People in the echo chamber are stating he will politicize it when in fact they are doing the exact same thing they claim he we will do. The sad thing is, they can't even see the hypocrisy of it through their blind hatred.
    I have no doubt politicians will politicize this. It is what they do. Every "event" gets used by both sides in some way or fashion. Now I realize I am wasting my energy with you all so I will leave you to it.
    Enjoy your week everyone.

I mean, my university degree is Business/Economics, and i plan to have a masters degree in public policies (and maybe another one in marketing, so it would be easier for me to find a job), so there's that. But thanks!
    Ah ok, same degree my twin boys are finishing their masters in as well. Yes you can find work with that degree in any of the major cities (Dallas, Austin, Houston). Lot of competition but it is in demand.

And like Kujako said. If you live anywhere outside of the cities you could be in for a long drive into work.