Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is the Legion so overconfident?

We've repelled every invasion they've thrown at us.
    We've pushed them back every step of the way since the start of Legion.
    We've killed their most powerful leaders.
    We are an army of veritable demigods, wielding the most powerful weapons our world has to offer.
    We are have a foothold of ever-increasing size on their capital world, a world where they can die permanently.

Why are the demons still spouting the same old "hohoho, we are legion, we are endless", "puny mortal, I HAVE THE POWURRRR" nonsense? One would think they might be starting to lose faith in the Legion's abilities or at the very least be starting to recognise us as a serious threat, but nope, all they do boast until their dying breath.

Blizzard is trying to make us feel like badasses this expansion but all these overconfident enemies are really at odds with that goal.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

blizzard has given up on the lore i think at this point.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Our world is just one of many they're attacking, whilst they might be losing to us, they may well be winning on 20 other worlds. Not only that but we've only defeated the lieutenants so far. As far as the rest of the Legion is concerned, they've still got big boss Sergeras who can't be defeated. So many of them don't realise how close to defeat they really are, they see us as a thorn in their side rather than an actual threat of destruction.

7+ Year Old Account
    Immortality tends to do that sort of thing.

Because we are playing an MMO. That's one of the worst genres to tell a story in, so Blizzard has to come up with a lot of bullshit lorewise. In the end, lore bows to gameplay.

If all of this happened in a singleplayer game, the Legion would look way more menacing I assume. In an MMO, you simply cannot destroy essential places to create atmosphere, or make the player lose in a grand way.

I have a confident feeling that our overconfidence in the next expansion will bite us in the ass in a different way.

I have a feeling that blizzard is leading us towards the Diablo Plot twist aka: You are your own villian fate.

It's funny because I was saying that for a while about legion enemies. They all seem supremely confident even though they are designed to dir thousands of times a day. I think it's just a fantasy trope but realistically demons should feel immortal. That's where illidan comes in right?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I'd be confident, if I were them. I mean, it took Method what, nearly 500 wipes to win? So... that to me means that they are winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    blizzard has given up on the lore i think at this point.
    Basically. If they ever put much effort into it in the first place, which I'm not convinced of.

OP: It's just such an overused trope that they use it without thinking and it's descended into cliche and farce. It's a side effect of bad writing.

They saw the wipe counter for KJ and know we won't stand a chance, to them what does it matter, it's not like if you kill them here they will be dead forever, they just come back and go again.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's funny is that they didn't even manage to crush all the resistance on Argus. A planet they held for thousands of years and yet there are still rebels skulking around. Sure they are not a major force, but this is the heart of the Legion. You'd think they'd have enough time to deal with some pests during all these millenia.

And yet they act like they own all the universe, except couple planets who are just about to fall anyway. They fail at being threatening.

The Legion has a pretty good internal propaganda machine.
    And deserting is just not an option. In a mortal army, you just get executed. In the Legion, you get tortured endlessly just for failing. And for treason... well, look at the datamined Varimathras model.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Because Blizzard writing quality

Bad writing. The Legion should have had a bigger impact on azeroth, or they should acknowledge the fact they're getting their ass kicked. Considering the legion is the biggest threat the Warcraft universe had known until Metzen pulled the void lords out of his ass, they should be a lot more threatening. The only thing they've done was kill Fail'jin, and Varian. Just think about it, the endless and ever so powerful burning legion has only killed two relevant characters. Plain bad writing, don't even try to argue.

At the end of the day none of it makes sense, they are a HIGHLY advanced space fairing group with Spacecraft and warp capabilities.... We still have castles and ride on horses.

Look at it like this: The story isn't moved forward by how many times we do things in-game. The story is moving forward with official events, patches changing things and so on.

The Legion is not overconfident, it's confident by right considering our world is not the only world they've attacked and destroyed. We can't have "the big bad" start running around proclaiming "OH NOES!!" upon seeing our characters approaching just because players in gameplay terms, kill thousands of demons.

It's probably basic training in Legion school to boast with confidence in the face of adversity.

Then when they're back home with their families you'll find that the big bad Fel Lord is whining to his Shivarra wife about how he's afraid that it's all for nothing and they're wondering if they should move to another planet because that would be better for their swarm of Imp children.

But seriously, they have still kept at it for thousands of years and may have plenty of victories on other worlds. Sure they've lost a few major invasions on Azeroth, and a bunch of minor attempts of corruption, but it's not till now that we've suddenly kicked down their door. They're probably not too worried since no one else has ever done major harm to them, not even the great Army of Light has taken any ground on Argus till we showed up.

Maybe by the time 7.3.5 shows up, some of the demons may sit around and go, "Ok, seriously, this is not looking very good... They've been standing strong for months now and are advancing on our main base!"

Then once we win for real, the remnants of the Legion may run off and hide for the most part with a few maybe still wanting to have their revenge.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    The Legion is not overconfident, it's confident by right considering our world is not the only world they've attacked and destroyed. We can't have "the big bad" start running around proclaiming "OH NOES!!" upon seeing our characters approaching just because players in gameplay terms, kill thousands of demons.
    It's not logically consistent. They've been beaten back again and again and again by the inhabitants of Azeroth. They "should" fear us, we're the greatest threat to them so far, all their plans have failed, all their generals have fallen to us, a lot of them have been killed by us more than once so they know what we're capable of. Now we don't fear them any more, we've killed their leaders, we're invading them at the very heart of their domain where they can actually be destroyed and they're still displaying the same characteristics because Blizzard can't write.

Blizzard has escalated our power and standing within the story over the years from humble adventurer to beings of godlike power, we have killed literal gods of this universe now, the evil laugh and puny mortals trope was fine when our adventures consisted of delivering Maybell Maclure's love letters, it's not fine when we're time and reality travelling god slayers. That's where it becomes farcical.

You can have the villains running in fear of the heroes and still have them be taken relatively seriously and continue to be a threat while making the player feel like a badass, look at DOOM. Telling a good story that way is something you cannot do though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post
    We've repelled every invasion they've thrown at us.
    We've pushed them back every step of the way since the start of Legion.
    We've killed their most powerful leaders.
    We are an army of veritable demigods, wielding the most powerful weapons our world has to offer.
    We are have a foothold of ever-increasing size on their capital world, a world where they can die permanently.

Why are the demons still spouting the same old "hohoho, we are legion, we are endless", "puny mortal, I HAVE THE POWURRRR" nonsense? One would think they might be starting to lose faith in the Legion's abilities or at the very least be starting to recognise us as a serious threat, but nope, all they do boast until their dying breath.

Blizzard is trying to make us feel like badasses this expansion but all these overconfident enemies are really at odds with that goal.
    Well, what wuold think think of your enemy if the first thing he do is crying in fear and begging you to spare him? Not very scary eh? Not very epic eh?

WoW is not some kind of psicological drama or semi-serious fantasy. In WoW the enemy is overconfident, arrogant and asshole till the very end.

It's simple...

The Heroes of Azeroth have to win every time in order to survive. The Legion need to win only once, and they have near infinite resources and unlimited time.

What matters more? winning every battle or winning the war? because those two are not always one and the same.