Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's literally impossible for it to be a Category 6.
    Is it though? What if a storm breaks the charts so badly that Cat 5 starts to feel inadequate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I'd imagine the hurricane on flood insurances in the risk zones are expensive as hell.
    No insurance companies offer flood coverage in areas prone to flooding.

Not as far has I'm aware of anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Is it though? What if a storm breaks the charts so badly that Cat 5 starts to feel inadequate?
    It is. They have. Nothing past Category 5 exists.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    I never understood why government ever allowed houses to be built in flood zones.
    Build at your own risk.

- - - Updated - - -

It does not, by default. Most flood insurance is completely separate, and most people don't have it. Thats just for home -owners-. Anyone renting is pretty much pressing the reset button on life.

Yup. It is. Standard home insurance is like $800-1500 a year. Flood insurance is like an extra 4000-7000.

They don't have to, and most don't. 10-20% of home owners are covered. Every time a hurricane comes through that area, thousand of peoples lives are pretty much just forfeit as far as livelihood.

It's sort of the reason people get so up in arms about government help (which doesn't help renters), insurance policies, etc. If you live in the hurricane area, its basically a gamble to own a home if you aren't very well off.
    I know the company I work for generally doesn't offer flood riders or endorsements on HO policies, at least not on costal areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Most wooden houses can take up to a cat 3 pretty well, even a cat 4. It's the cat 5 hurricanes that destroy wooden houses and they're rare.

And even a masonry house will lose it's roof and all that rain will ruin everything inside.

Cat 3 or higher get the fuck out that should be the rule everyone abides no more of this sticking it out bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does not, by default. Most flood insurance is completely separate, and most people don't have it. Thats just for home -owners-. Anyone renting is pretty much pressing the reset button on life.

Yup. It is. Standard home insurance is like $800-1500 a year. Flood insurance is like an extra 4000-7000.

They don't have to, and most don't. 10-20% of home owners are covered. Every time a hurricane comes through that area, thousand of peoples lives are pretty much just forfeit as far as livelihood.

It's sort of the reason people get so up in arms about government help (which doesn't help renters), insurance policies, etc. If you live in the hurricane area, its basically a gamble to own a home if you aren't very well off.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. It really sucks though, cause most of the time you have to buy the flood insurance from the govt.

Edit: I live on the gulf, and I rent. Double fucked. Have renters insurance, but I ned to see what it actually covers after fire and theft.
    Last edited by lokithor; 2017-09-05 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Pretty much agree with everything you said. It really sucks though, cause most of the time you have to buy the flood insurance from the govt.
    Even then, the NFIP is very limited in how it will protect you. Your local govt has to implement many mitigating factors before it will even consider protecting your neighborhood

It's literally impossible for it to be a Category 6.
    Too bad. Could be exciting.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Too bad. Could be exciting.
    Not even funny to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Not even funny to think about it.
    Funny, no. Exciting, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    You're free to come crash on my couch while you ride the storm out here in Cali. We just legalized weed so you have that to look forward to.
    When life gives you lemon, make a blunt out of it.

It is. They have. Nothing past Category 5 exists.
    Until it does. Nothing has existed until it has.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    i would imagine any home owner on the gulf etc has to take out specific insurance against it. just like if your on a flood plain etc. not sure how much it really helps in recovery. if its like every other aspect of insurance in this country probably not a whole lot.
    I am sure somewhere there is "hurricane insurance" although I have never heard of it and I have lived on the Texas Gulf coast my entire life. In addition that insurance insurance wouldn't be a requirement anyway. It would be no different than supplemental flood insurance or a windstorm policy. You have to remember, insurance companies are in the business of taking your money not paying you theirs for claims.
    Just like "earthquake insurance" even if you live on a fault line you aren't required to take it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fonduset View Post
    As a Brit, we don't get hurricanes, we just get strong winds. I see on the news the mass devastation that the hurricanes leave. Mainly because of wooden houses. My question is. Does house insurance in America cover destruction of a house due to a hurricane? or are you actually left to rebuild out of your own pocket?
    As I stated in my last post, here on the Gulf Coast we to take out a separate "windstorm" policy for wind damage. Anything wind damaged falls into this category hurricane, tornadoes, thunderstorms, etc. Just like we take out a separate flood policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Until it does. Nothing has existed until it has.
    Again, incorrect. We have had plenty of things that 'should' have been Category 6 or 7, if the classification existed, but it doesn't.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

They upgraded Irma to cat 5 today. Let's hope it doesn't come ashore.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Its been long overdue since wilma. Hopefully its nothing major, and as much as I would like to miss work It will only make my job worse if it deals severe damage since my work involves paying for damages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Global warming is real, America.
    While I agree global warming is real, point out hurricanes happening during hurricane season is pretty stupid, thats like pointing out a blizzard in the middle of winter as climate change. Now, if we had a hurricane during the dead of winter, I think that would be a wake up call to a lot of people, due to hurricanes needing very warm water to form and keep accelerating.

Deleted
    they should rename it to hurricane wolf.. maybe then people will stop building their houses in disaster prone areas out of sticks >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Yes I too hope that people will be turned into refugees, die, or have their entire lives destroyed because "muh cat 6"
    Don't call disaster victims refugees

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The number of people I've talked to in Florida who are terrified of earthquakes in Cali astounds me.
    California can't even have big Earthquakes, we're pretty much maxed out at 7.9/8.0, which while rough, we've managed to build our structures to survive them quite easily.

Heck, just today we've had 26 earthquakes in the state, over 8k in the last year, most of them you can't feel, or it's like a subtle vibration. Last one was a baby, 1.6, about 30 minutes ago!

The worst EQ ever in the state, in 1906 in San Francisco, only killed 3k people. Besides that (and once we learned how to build stuff properly), the next highest was 115 in the 40s, and then they required school buildings to meet the same standards as residential/commerical buildings.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis