Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Situational awareness or smart planning is somehow taboo now?

Trigger Warning: Fox News Link - http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09...utal-rape.html

Cliff Notes:

- Jogger Badly Beaten & Raped
    - Police suggest running in pairs and/or keeping an eye over your shoulder when passing
    - People actually get angry at this because they think the police can/should protect every citizen 100% of the time and are omnipotent

A spokesperson for the local police told a newspaper “it would be better if women jogged in pairs, or at least that they make sure that there is always someone else around.”

The spokesman added: “When they run past someone, joggers should always look back to make sure they are not about to be attacked.”

The police department’s suggestions sparked immediate backlash, many asking if the police department was encouraging women to reduce their personal freedoms rather than assuring them they would be protected, the Local reported.
    Let me guess, taxes increase to pay for more officers. Citizens commence bitching?

Is that usually how this circle is completed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Trigger Warning: Fox News Link - http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09...utal-rape.html

Cliff Notes:

- Jogger Badly Beaten & Raped
    - Police suggest running in pairs and/or keeping an eye over your shoulder when passing
    - People actually get angry at this because they think the police can protect every citizen 100% of the time and are omni-potent
    I guess some people think it's victim-blaming. "You could have prevented this." I think this has been discussed enough at this point.

Police can't be everywhere and never could. Of course it's not taboo.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    I guess some people think it's victim-blaming. "You could have prevented this." I think this has been discussed enough at this point.
    If someone says "It is a good idea to lock your house door when you are not home" is this victim blaming or just advising someone not to be an idiot?
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-09-05 at 04:36 PM.

There was this one guy who jogged in the worst neighbors, neighborhoods with lots of crime and gang activity. One day he was approached by two men, the jogger pulled out a gun and shot them both dead.

Some say he jogged in those neighborhoods just because he wanted to kill someone, but they were all public sidewalks and roads.

All the women I know have situational awareness. Well most of them, it's a shame they have to live that way.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    If someone says "It is a good idea to lock your house door when you are not home" is this victim blaming or just advising someone not to be an idiot?
    It's the same discussion we've had for the last years. It always comes down to the same arguments. Personally I don't believe it's victim-blaming, but this has been debated to death.

Deleted
    >a man of "southern" appearance.

Those darn Southern Europeans. Maybe it would help if countries wouldn't let these "men of "southern" appearance" enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    A little of column A and a little of column B.

Yes, it is stupid to leave your house unlocked. But it is also illegal to enter a house, uninvited, no matter how you entered it.

But, one is illegal, the other isn't, so the home owners stupidity shouldn't be the cause of the issue, nor be blamed for the outcome. The cause of the issue is someone entered the house unlawfully.

Its a touchy situation.

I think there is also a difference between giving advice, and blaming someone for their ignorance, or just not doing something.

"It is a good idea to lock your house door when you are not home" - Advice
    "If you didn't want to get robbed, you should have locked your doors" - Victim blaming.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    horse and poking stick not included.

You can't give people risk reduction pointers anymore. Mostly, I think it's because people ignore them and then stupid shit happens. Like leaving your car running while you aren't near it.

Is it your fault it was stolen? No.
    Did you, unfortunately, make it easier to happen? Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

"It is a good idea to lock your house door when you are not home" - Advice
    "If you didn't want to get robbed, you should have locked your doors" - Victim blaming.
    Essentially it comes down to this. Of course some crazy people think the advice is victim blaming, throw a hissy fit, someone else comes around and is triggered by the the triggered people, and we got another extremely useful thread on mmoc.

What i want to say: Idiots are idiots, don't give them attention.

I don't get what the big deal is. Let's say Person A mugged Person B. Everyone already agrees Person A is bad. So when you then offer help and suggestions to Person B, like "Hey, that neighborhood is bad", it doesn't mean you are victim blaming. Everyone blames Person A already, there's no point in discussing that portion of the circumstance anymore.

All you want to do is help Person Bs better avoid/protect themselves from Person As.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You can't give people risk reduction pointers anymore. Mostly, I think it's because people ignore them and then stupid shit happens. Like leaving your car running while you aren't near it.

I do this somewhat regularily with my car.
    That said, I lock the doors, and the keys are not in the ignition or vehicle (remote start bypass), so in the event someone does get into the car, they can't put it into gear without the engine shutting off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

Deleted
    Aww Fox come on, you usually have tweets linked with like 20 retweets about said outrage!

Honestly how many times have we discussed this particular topic? It is always the same, it straddles between the lines of some form of victim-blaming and/or a lack of doing something to the notion just being okay.

I mean, are we at any point going to accept that the introduction of social media and a far better capability of communication lead to a lot of shit opinions suddenly appearing; and that just like that crazed homeless alcoholic down by the train station we don't need to entertain them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

A lot of men act all offended if you actually practice safety measures around men though.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-09-05 at 06:34 PM.

The general public always sees people whom are more important than them as gods. Have you ever seen Parks & Recreation? They make fun of that shit all the time because it really happens.

While the police's job is indeed to protect, that doesn't take away your own personal responsibility when it comes to your own safety.

Anyone thinking otherwise deserves to be proven wrong by life. And no, that doesn't include circumstances that are out of one's control, such as assault or rape. And no, I don't mean that "she was asking for it" by that.

However, keep in mind that in spite of the efforts put forth to protect people, it's not 100% fool-proof. Therefore, if you don't take it upon yourself to protect yourself at all times, you will end up sooner or later on the receiving end of an injustice. Simply because some people don't care about right and wrong, and no education on the matter will ever change these scumbags. And you can't let them have it their way when pushes come to shoves. It doesn't make the event any less of an injustice, and it doesn't make you any more responsible for it. But people who perpatrate those acts won't give a crap about that and they will do it anyway. Don't let 'em.
    Last edited by McTroll; 2017-09-05 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the OP casually ignores, as always, is the whole "protect yourself" advice is only given to rape victims. You never hear of cops telling old people they should have known better than to give their credit card number out over the phone. Instead you see harsher restrictions on phone-based transactions and credit-card processing. You never hear cops blaming arson victims for not fire-proofing their walls. You never hear cops blame assault victims for not learning kung-fu or carrying a gun. Even if the assault is in all ways identical to a rape assault, minus the rape. Once the rape is involved suddenly it's all "Ohhh you shoulda prepared better! Taken more precautions! Only gone out in pairs!"
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    What the OP casually ignores, as always, is the whole "protect yourself" advice is only given to rape victims. You never hear of cops telling old people they should have known better than to give their credit card number out over the phone. Instead you see harsher restrictions on phone-based transactions and credit-card processing. You never hear cops blaming arson victims for not fire-proofing their walls. You never hear cops blame assault victims for not learning kung-fu or carrying a gun. Even if the assault is in all ways identical to a rape assault, minus the rape. Once the rape is involved suddenly it's all "Ohhh you shoulda prepared better! Taken more precautions! Only gone out in pairs!"
    Then the police isn't doing a good job at that.

Because this should apply for theft. Don't let your doors unlocked. Doesn't make theft any more legal. It still remains a crime, and the thief is responsible for it.

This should apply for assaults. You'll be better at fending off attackers if you know how to defend yourself. Doesn't make the assault any less of an assault.

Thing is, the monsters who perpetrate these acts more likely than not won't be changed by any education whatsoever. However, it doesn't mean you have to let them get away with it. Protecting yourself is the basis, not only to fend off sex-related crimes, but ANY crime. It doesn't make the victim responsible at all for what happened, unlike what people wish to believe. But it can certainly help mitigate the damage done.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    ... short beard, dark hair, "southern" look... could it be an economic migrant?(Oh sorry, refugee.)

Oh wait, you get crucified by the media for thinking that importing people from the third world brings their third world values(like rape being okay in some situations.)
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening