Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    if you want to see cat 5 resistant homes look at barbuda......
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Global warming is real, America.
    We know. Tell that to our politicians taking kick backs from big oil and the ignorant masses that vote for them.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergar View Post
    Well, I mean, one of the models has it doing that I guess.

Irma and Jose are going to fight over Florida.
    Winner take all

Well ladies and gents the 2pm update on Irma pretty much says all florida is gonna hit hit now with the eye still right on top of me the 8am Monday dot is basically my house.

Fun times

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Well ladies and gents the 2pm update on Irma pretty much says all florida is gonna hit hit now with the eye still right on top of me the 8am Monday dot is basically my house.

Fun times
    Stay safe man. If its not too late i'd move further west if you can till it blows over.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    How many times do they have to rebuild there before they figure out how to build cat 5 resistant houses..
    You could, except for economy. In engineering, you always have to balance risk vs. economy vs. aesthetic (damn architects) vs. impact. For example, for hospitals and police stations, our design goal would be “No Failure” under extreme conditions (cost be damned), because those facilities have to keep on operating during and after a catastrophic event. The same goes for schools and certain bridges (mostly critical arteries). On the other hand, for residential structures, the design goal would be a much lesser “No Catastrophic Failure.” The goal would be for the structures to stay together long enough for the occupants to evacuate the buildings. After that, “oh well!” In the case of a hurricane, you get plenty of warning.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-09-07 at 06:41 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    As many as it takes. Cat 5 houses cost more than Stiff Breeze houses, so most don't bother.

This guy lost his front steps and a had couple of cracked windows, although water damage still wrecked the interior. His previous house on that same lot was destroyed by a hurricane three years earlier. ("First castle sank into the swamp...)
    Sweet mother of monkey milk where the hell is this? and is it Irma or another past cane?

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Stay safe man. If its not too late i'd move further west if you can till it blows over.
    Thanks

I'll be providing real time updates and pictures as long as the cell towers and internet networks are up

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    For example, for hospitals and police stations, our design goal would be “No Failure” under extreme conditions (cost be damned), because those facilities have to keep on operating during and after a catastrophic event.
    Krogan hospitals.

1 metre thick concrete walls with blast doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

I'll be providing real time updates and pictures as long as the cell towers and internet networks are up
    >Cat 4
    >Towers

We might be waiting for those updates for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    We might be waiting for those updates for a while.
    There's some truth to that, Usually we get a good few hours before the system goes to SOS mode only though.

We thought Sharnado was just a stupid bad movie.

But it was a fucking prophecy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    How many times do they have to rebuild there before they figure out how to build cat 5 resistant houses..
    Having to rebuild and cat 5s almost never happen.

Repairs of course.

Most homes in FL since Andrew can easily with cat 3-4. Most also have new roofs due to the last very active hurricane season.

I was listening to CNN and had to turn if off because the lady couldnt pronounce "Brevard" and they were only there only feeding into more stress and panic.

Gas stations seem to have received new fuel shipments. Water is still pretty scarce. I honestly know why officals dont reccommend bags or empty jugs that you fill up more than gallons of water.

Last edited by PACOX; 2017-09-07 at 06:57 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Fun times
    Delivery will certainly be fun in that shit.

[QUOTE=pacox;47234844
    I was listening to CNN and had to turn if off because the lady couldnt pronounce "Brevard" [/QUOTE]

You'd think they could say the name of the 5th largest county in florida and the ones where all the sapce center shit is. The county comes up kind of often.. lol

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    It's not just evacuation. It's also everyone stocking up for generators and whatever else needs gas. It's guaranteed to get worse judging by Jacksonville.
    Shit dude. Be safe.

- - - Updated - - -

Fun times
    Have fun.

BUt nah, be safe man.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Sweet mother of monkey milk where the hell is this? and is it Irma or another past cane?
    Hurricane Ike, in the Outer Banks of NC
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I would hope so, but if the trend is upwards then something beyond the current anticipated limits should be considered a very real possibility.
    The conditions anticipated with those categories perhaps aren't reflecting what we are seeing now.
    Howso? Category 5 pretty much implies destruction of structures. As someone mentioned earlier, why would it be important to imply "No seriously, destruction of structures. We're not kidding"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    gonna try and ride this one out myself where i live is on the edge of the projected path but if worse comes to worse i'll head to work and hide in the basement till it blows over.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    gonna try and ride this one out myself where i live is on the edge of the projected path but if worse comes to worse i'll head to work and hide in the basement till it blows over.
    Just a head's up: the projected path does not mean the area of impact. Irma is a big storm, and there will be rain, flooding, and very windy conditions outside the projected path.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Port Saint Lucie here, we're expecting a near direct hit, just south of Prwraith in Melbourne; good luck to all the fellow Floridians, we're going to try and ride this one out, CBS house- just put the shutters up and removed yard debris this morning, work is open all day tomorrow so just have to hope I will be able to do a Total Wine run when I get out. :/