Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

WoW arenas are offensively boring.

I tune in for a quick snip of the embarrassing Arena Championships (that a whopping 14,000 people are watching) and like, holy mother of fuck. It's no secret that WoW Arenas are bad but Jesus Christ.

Matches are so fucking drawn out and literally nothing happens. It's just boring PvPing until dampening happens (which essentially means everything prior to dampening is just pointless filler) and then it's a drawn out series of people getting stunned, bursted to 20% health, popping a defensive, getting healed to full, rinse repeat, etc. One guy dies and the match is over, apparently, because everyone just gives up right away (that's the state of WoW PvP, there's no comeback game).

This would be fine, whatever, good for people who think this is fun and cool, but the offensive thing to me is how much serious effort Blizzard has put into this. The multiple commentators, the setup to make everything look like a "legitimate" e-sport. Jesus God Damn.

Jesus God Damn. It's too much for me.

Anyways; who else feels this way? I just can't wrap my head around how anyone could actually find 'high-level' WoW Arenas fun to watch. They are criminally fucking boring. If you actually enjoy them, what makes you find them interesting? I am legitimately curious.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2017-09-07 at 11:52 PM.

Like any competitive event, people who say this are the ones woefully incapable of ever reaching this level.

In general, I agree with this broad statement: Esports are incredibly boring to watch, because typically they are performed in a way that very few things out of the ordinary happen.

That's why I much prefer watching athletic sports where somewhat often, a break out athlete does something way above his pay grade.

Esports, I find, are best watched to learn.
    If you find them boring, for whatever reason, you are likely horrible at pvp and have no reason to be watching

No matter which reasons, no one particularly is worried about how you feel about it though.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Like any competitive event, people who say this are the ones woefully incapable of ever reaching this level.
    Right. The only way I'd find WoW PvP boring is if I'm too incompetent to understand the intricate gameplay at hand. What a nice and convenient fake argument. You're very good at this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    I tune in for a quick snip of the embarrassing Arena Championships (that a whopping 14,000 people are watching) and like, holy mother of fuck. It's no secret that WoW Arenas are bad but Jesus Christ.

Matches are so fucking drawn out and literally nothing happens. It's just boring PvPing until dampening happens (which essentially means everything prior to dampening is just pointless filler) and then it's a drawn out series of people getting stunned, bursted to 20% health, popping a defensive, getting healed to full, rinse repeat, etc. One guy dies and the match is over, apparently, because everyone just gives up right away (that's the state of WoW PvP, there's no comeback game).

This would be fine, whatever, good for people who think this is fun and cool, but the offensive thing to me is how much serious effort Blizzard has put into this. The multiple commentators, the setup to make everything look like a "legitimate" e-sport. Jesus God Damn.

Jesus God Damn. It's too much for me.
    I've been saying this shit for years. There is nothing fun about watching a bunch of healers fucking pillar hump each other for 30 fucking minutes.

An ARENA... or a coliseum, if we are talking about ancient times and its purpose, is about death and carnage. Nobody, NOBODY EVER would have been cheered or praised for running away and hiding. Yet in WoW... you win by being a cunt.

Its the same reason Mayweather is so hated... because hes a fucking pussy who runs around for an hour. Fuck him... fuck arenas.

As much as I agree with the rest of your post,such an ad hominem makes you seem like a massive idiot,you'd be taken more seriously without that

(dribble)

No matter which reasons, no one particularly is worried about how you feel about it though.
    Woah guys, we got a keyboard warrior here! Look how tough and nonchalant he is!

Agree with the OP. Arenas are very stupid, and they didn't need to be this way. I remember the days of Azoth's Double Druid Gambit (look it up on YouTube). Those kinds of matches were common. Every class was really unique (read: not "one burst cd, one defensive cd, one utility spell) and each combo felt interesting and new. You didn't even know what you were facing until you started fighting! Two stealthies? Could be Rogue/Druid, Druid/Druid, or just a Nelf in Shadowmeld. It sounds like little stuff, but it added up.

Long story short, the PVP in WoW has been carved into a pathetic shadow of HoTS... so I just play HoTS.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    I've been saying this shit for years. There is nothing fun about watching a bunch of healers fucking pillar hump each other for 30 fucking minutes.
    I've been saying this for years, too, but I've never seen Blizzard try so hard to push WoW Arenas as a legitimate e-sport. I mean, I was aware they'd purchased MLG and stuff so I knew this was coming but the state of the game has somehow gotten even worse than it ever was before and I just was not ready for how embarrassing this was going to be.

Right. The only way I'd find WoW PvP boring is if I'm too incompetent to understand the intricate gameplay at hand. What a nice and convenient fake argument. You're very good at this.
    Which is why it was "Banned" early on by the actual "esports" community when it was new, aka MLG.

Despite being owned by Blizzard now? I think, the people back then knew what a worthless mess WoW Arena PvP was and simply banned it for imbalance crap game.

Dota,CS 1.6, CSS etc were more important and as you can see what the more popular e-sports are now.

And i agree with most of what you said, Arena PvP is so god damn boring, always has been, i dont understand how people can compare it to most of the other esports.

There is simply no excitement to watch, its practically worthless.

Even in Overwatch that i dislike majorly cause i find it insanely damped down the "e-sports" of it is more fun.

In general, I agree with this broad statement: Esports are incredibly boring to watch, because typically they are performed in a way that very few things out of the ordinary happen.

That's why I much prefer watching athletic sports where somewhat often, a break out athlete does something way above his pay grade.

If you find them boring, for whatever reason, you are likely horrible at pvp and have no reason to be watching

It's boring to watch, not boring to actually engage in. The problem with WoW Arena PVP is that... a lot of the time, nothing on screen is really happening. It's why it never caught on as something people will really want to watch in large numbers. That isn't the case with a lot of other major esport titles. Hell, it's not even the case if it were to be RBGs instead.

10+ Year Old Account

While true, the real issue with WoW PvP is that there is no recognizable action that can stand out. Things happen so fast and most of the subtle game changing things fly by without being noticed amongst the other things going on.

One of the reasons why MOBAs are so popular as eSports is not just because they are challenging and rewarding to play at a high skill level but because they are also easily understood by laypeople watching them.

First, they're top down - this lets people track the teams better, and makes position a lot easier to understand. Ultimates go off, they're a big deal, and you can visually see them. Tricky skillshots are landed blind over bush. Narrow escapes are made or unmade. Splitpushes are made while others are fighting. Assassins 100-0 people who are caught out in the blink of an eye. All of these things are easy to see and understand.

Nailing that spirit link totem perfectly or juking that kick - while requiring great timing - just happen in a flash and barely register (even though they might be the key factor in a fight).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    It's boring to watch, not boring to actually engage in. The problem with WoW Arena PVP is that... a lot of the time, nothing on screen is really happening. It's why it never caught on as something people will really want to watch in large numbers. That isn't the case with a lot of other major esport titles. Hell, it's not even the case if it were to be RBGs instead.
    I used to watch PvP vids all the time in Vanilla. That's the PvP people want to see.

Thats why even a 60 min game of League of legends CAN be fun to watch because of clutch moments.

I'v always thought the same. Now, full disclosure, I suck hard at PvP, but still. I can watch a match of League, Counter-Strike, hell even Hearthstone and see where the fun lies even if I'm not a big fan.

WoW Arena is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Teams pillar hump and avoid each other, endlessly CCing then countering CCs until they can actually kill each other. It's like if you took a teamfight in a MOBA but made it take 100 times longer. A boxing match where the fighters just circle each other for 15 rounds instead of going at it. Doesn't become more interesting or intricate, it's just boring.

I'd rather watch baseball then Arena. And I think baseball is freaking soporific as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    While true, the real issue with WoW PvP is that there is no recognizable action that can stand out. Things happen so fast and most of the subtle game changing things fly by without being noticed amongst the other things going on.
    This and not this.

Its not that the action cant happen, is that the action isnt anything special, its not something the average rogue didnt do in the BG, or his own arena.

Its just slightly more coordinated burst compared to the average bad arena player, there isnt much "skill to show".

Random smoke in CS:GO from the other side of the map? No one knew that angle, 2mil people watching live go "WTF".

Random insane management of 10 abilities + 6 items as invoker? In dota 2? 2 mil people watching live go "WTF".

Random comeback in either game? WTF.

"Oh, he blinded the healer and then interrupted and then shadowwalked to burst" Woohoo, no one knows how to do that.

"Oh 2v3, its over".

they should bring back the old org arena and do things similar

Cast jukes and stuff exist, sure. No one says (or should be saying) there's absolutely zero intricacy to WoW Arena PvP. The problem isn't that there's absolutely nothing to follow so much as there's barely anything to follow and that the matches last way, way, way too long. DotA games also extend on for rather long times, much greater than even an especially long WoW Arena, but the entirety of DotA is worth watching. There's very little down time and there's very little grueling, nonsensical random combat that means nothing (this is coming from someone who doesn't even like DotA or play it anymore, for the record).

One little break-neck cast juke doesn't mean anything when it's in a 10+ minute long slogfest that doesn't even get somewhat intense until Dampening is hitting 15-20%.

Deleted
    "Nothing happens". Uh, the first 3-4 games were really exciting and people were surviving on 1-3% quite a few times. The last ones with double DH was painfully boring YES.

But the first ones had some very exciting moments. But that's personal opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm watching because I'm following the road to blizzcon. Question is why are you watching? It's not like pvp changed in the last many many tourneys that was this spring and summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people enjoy people chasing a ball while other's don't. It's called soccer, I think.

MoP as considered widely as the best PvP expansion. People made THIS EXACT threads during MoP aswell because of the neverending LSD or LSD2 comps.

Jesus Christ.

- - - Updated - - -

Not saying Legion pvp is great, but these threads happens every expansion.

Pat yourself on the back all you like but if you talk to serious pvpers they will set you straight on why you find it boring. This is the truth of it. You don't understand what you are watching.

In reality, these people are doing such an impressive job that they are countering each other pefectly. That alone is incredibly exciting if you actually know its happening. But like any competitive situation, people who don't know what to look for always find it boring.
    Its not an action film.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    I like to see weird and odd comps, because it's all I personally play on ladder.

- - - Updated - - -

One overlap or miss-use of a cd, not trading cd's well enough and you lose. It's the small things that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post
    "Nothing happens". Uh, the first 3-4 games were really exciting and people were surviving on 1-3% quite a few times. The last ones with double DH was painfully boring YES.

But the first ones had some very exciting moments. But that's personal opinion.
    Exactly, as I explained - the viewer did not understand what they were watching and thus finds it boring.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post
    Question is why are you watching?
    I'm not. My post explains I tuned in for a brief moment. But, by the way, people are- in fact- allowed to view something they don't like and then complain about it. Suggesting someone is foolish for making a complaint or criticizing something they watched and didn't enjoy is a fake argument.

Some people enjoy people chasing a ball while other's don't. It's called soccer, I think.
    Stuff happens in soccer. Unlike in WoW Arenas.