Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Could you link me the post(s) which makes me a communist?

Also, are you insinuating that my alleged political affiliation has the ability to somehow manipulate the climate?

Finally, your pathetic attempts at sealioning are evidence to the fact of my statement.
    If you are left of him, that makes you a communist obviously. /Sarcasm obviously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    If you are left of him, that makes you a communist obviously. /Sarcasm obviously.

Oh my bad, lets say Antifa and crying out "violence against nazis!" is centrist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuggoz View Post
    What caused greenhouse gas levels to fall before the ice ages, and what rose them at the end? No human was in charge of that, im sure.
    Check the IPCC report, particularly 5.3.2.1 in particular, though it touches on a lot of the rest of Chapter 5.

The short answer is that orbital variations bring the Earth a little closer to the Sun sometimes, which causes some warming, which releases some trapped methane, which causes further warming, which releases trapped CO2 stores, which accelerates warming, until it reaches a new balance point, and as the orbit shifts, things slowly cool down into the next glacial period, before it gets kicked off again.

What's going on today, from anthropogenic sources, is that we're skipping that warming behaviour, where CO2 tends to accelerate warming, and just putting CO2 straight into the atmosphere directly, which pushes it into a highly accelerated warming pattern. It's not the same as the natural cycles, though there are some atmospheric similarities in the basic physics.

While I realize I myself can't argue on this issue at the same level, I picked up this from your text though: ". Bob Carter is a well-known huckster who's paid to astroturf. Peter Ridd is being censured by his employer for unethical statements about colleagues and their work. And Garth Paltridge is a denier as well. It's hardly an even panel that's intended to get at the facts."

So because someone is a denier, aka. has a different opinion, he is not a credible source?
    No, they're not credible sources because their arguments fail to hold any merit whatsoever. I was pointing out that all three were on that side of things to point out that the panel had no intent to be fair; it was stacking the deck with deniers so they could pat each other on the back, rather than deal with the scientific truth; nobody on that panel was going to call them out for intellectual chichanery because they're all on the same side.

Even aside from their poor academic records, that's a demonstration of the cherry-picking by the host which calls the entire thing into question.

Don't know the details of the Peter Ridd case, but considering how everything nowadays is claimed to be so unethical, politically incorrect and god knows what, I wouldn't give that much weight either.
    Admitting you don't know anything about it but that you're still going to have an opinion on it is pretty much the most succinct way to sum up this whole problem.

So now that you work in this field personally, what does it take to stop this climate change from the Co2? Is it a 90% decrease, and if so, in what timeline?
    You don't. If we put human emissions at 0 starting tomorrow, the Earth would continue warming for centuries at this point. The only way to reverse that would be to invest hundreds of billions to trillions into expensive carbon sink programs, like planting massive (thousands of square kilometers worth) of fast-growing high-carbon plants, just to harvest them and seal them away, and keep doing that for decades.

We passed that point of no return like a decade ago. That's why the focus is on mitigating emissions to keep it from getting any worse than it has to (because more CO2 is going to push more rapid warming; we're still making it worse), and on adaptation to the changes that are coming, since we're not going to be preventing them. That ship sailed, largely because deniers raised enough of a public stink to cause politicans to hestitate and fail to take action. Even though scientists have been firm and in consensus on what's going on for, oh, 40 years or so now.

Just by last page of your recent posts, I see you multiple times using the word "us" when siding with people who identify themselves as communist or something very close like Antifa. For an example: "@Livnthedream Is calling you a hypocrite because you said people shouldn't use violence to solve problems, but in the past you have advocated using violence against Nazis, which is a contradiction unless you think Nazis are not a problem." You can find your comment to this post, and its basically you being in the same boat with the "kill the nazis" maniacs.

Which in my mind looks like you use the word "us" to side with people who apparently advocate using violence against "nazis". Who usually cries that out? Antifa. What is Antifa? A communist movement.

I just found it funny that someone belonging to a such political extreme would call someone something you just did.
    Being Antifa doesn't make you communist, it just makes you anti-fascist. If that is the case in your argument, the US is Communist because they fought fascists in WW2. Your argument if fallacious at best and pants on head retarded at worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my bad, lets say Antifa and crying out "violence against nazis!" is centrist.
    Considering how wrong you have been in this thread, using Big Oil spokesmen as a tool against climate change, means you have no fucking room to talk.

Just by last page of your recent posts, I see you multiple times using the word "us" when siding with people who identify themselves as communist or something very close like Antifa.
    Oh, so criticizing alt-right fascists somehow makes me a communist? My my, what a leap of logic there, although it's to be expected from the likes of you.

For an example: "@Livnthedream Is calling you a hypocrite because you said people shouldn't use violence to solve problems, but in the past you have advocated using violence against Nazis, which is a contradiction unless you think Nazis are not a problem."

Which in my mind looks like you use the word "us" to side with people who apparently advocate using violence against "nazis". Who usually cries that out? Antifa. What is Antifa? A communist movement.

I just found it funny that someone belonging to a such political extreme would call someone something you just did.
    Yeah, it's funny you fascists believe that people should somehow sit around peacefully waiting for you and your ilk to run them down with a car like in Charlottesville or various other atrocities.

Self-defense may be violence, but the former context takes precedence over the latter. And self-defense isn't magically limited to anyone of any political leaning, unlike what deplorables would posit.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Being Antifa doesn't make you communist, it just makes you anti-fascist. If that is the case in your argument, the US is Communist because they fought fascists in WW2. Your argument if fallacious at best and pants on head retarded at worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering how wrong you have been in this thread, using Big Oil spokesmen as a tool against climate change, means you have no fucking room to talk.
    Only difference is, US didn't storm in with USSR/Communist flags.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, so criticizing alt-right fascists somehow makes me a communist? My my, what a leap of logic there, although it's to be expected from the likes of you.

Yeah, it's funny you fascists believe that people should somehow sit around peacefully waiting for you and your ilk to run them down with a car like in Charlottesville or various other atrocities.

Self-defense may be violence, but the former context takes precedence over the latter. And self-defense isn't magically limited to anyone of any political leaning, unlike what deplorables would posit.
    You know, im not a facist. That's the difference. I don't belong to any extreme. I know its hard to believe to both you guys and the other end. Most people aren't nazis nor do they wan't to punch everyone you guys call nazis.

Only difference is, US didn't storm in with USSR/Communist flags.
    By your definition, I can't possibly be a "communist" then, since I do what I do and say what I say without waving any flag whatsoever.

You know, im not a facist. That's the difference. I don't belong to any extreme. I know its hard to believe to both you guys and the other end. Most people aren't nazis nor do they wan't to punch everyone you guys call nazis.

Funny, you apologize and shill for Nazis, then say you aren't a fascist Nazi.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so centrist people want to punch nazis, agreed. My god how delusional you people are.

- - - Updated - - -

By your definition, I can't possibly be a "communist" then, since I do what I do and say what I say without waving any flag whatsoever.

Because real nazis barely exist. You have some far-right extremism, but people actually wanting to kill all other "subraces" or whatever it is DO NOT EXIST at a large quantity.

- - - Updated - - -

Well by your standards you are a communist when you side the people who fly communist flags. If I march next to a guy waving a third reich flag, im not a nazi?

All I ever here about is denier's are wrong wrong wrong. Every debate is always about how they are wrong and Trump is wrong and everyone who agrees with them are evil. I get it, but do you? For all the debating all the rhetoric what are YOU actually doing to benefit the environment? Besides yelling at each other what have you done to help? I never see a thread saying, here is what I am doing to help. Here is how we make a change for the better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sgthotrod View Post
    All I ever here about is denier's are wrong wrong wrong. Every debate is always about how they are wrong and Trump is wrong and everyone who agrees with them are evil. I get it, but do you? For all the debating all the rhetoric what are YOU actually doing to benefit the environment? Besides yelling at each other what have you done to help? I never see a thread saying, here is what I am doing to help. Here is how we make a change for the better.
    Well its the same with all vegans and people who want to be so good and environmental about everything. They still use laptops, go on holidays to other side of the planet, must have their Iphones and so on. At least I don't pretend to care.

Okay, so centrist people want to punch nazis, agreed. My god how delusional you people are.

- - - Updated - - -

Because real nazis barely exist. You have some far-right extremism, but people actually wanting to kill all other "subraces" or whatever it is DO NOT EXIST at a large quantity.

- - - Updated - - -

Well by your standards you are a communist when you side the people who fly communist flags. If I march next to a guy waving a third reich flag, im not a nazi?
    Yeah, no one takes you fucking seriously. Defend Nazis more.

And why shouldn't they? Self-defense is self-defense, whether be it punches or otherwise. Splitting hairs does no good for your ilk here.

They apparently barely exist, yet everyday I come across you and those like you.

- - - Updated - - -

So by your definition, people who dislike Nazis are all Antifa, and by extension communists?

I guess the most evil and deplorable group of humans on earth see the rest of us as the actual evil ones.

Deleted
    Yeah, no one takes you fucking seriously. Defend Nazis more.
    And you think people take communists seriously? People even elected a clown like Donald Trump because they are fed up with all the political correctness and moon nazis you see everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

And why shouldn't they? Self-defense is self-defense, whether be it punches or otherwise. Splitting hairs does no good for your ilk here.

They apparently barely exist, yet everyday I come across you and those like you.

- - - Updated - - -

So by your definition, people who dislike Nazis are all Antifa, and by extension communists?

I guess the most evil and deplorable group of humans on earth see the rest of us as the actual evil ones.

If you call me a nazi, no wonder you see them everywhere. Reminds me of the guy who got punched/knifed coming out of a car because of his "nazi haircut".
    Thank god studying and working in STEM I don't have to talk with illogical people like you more often.

And you think people take communists seriously? People even elected a clown like Donald Trump because they are fed up with all the political correctness and moon nazis you see everywhere.
    Oh oh oh here comes the blatant concern trolling, leveled up from the sealioning earlier. Yes yes, we know you are such an "awoke" independent. Now spin another cool story that hasn't been rehashed a thousand times over on this very forum.

If you call me a nazi, no wonder you see them everywhere. Reminds me of the guy who got punched/knifed coming out of a car because of his "nazi haircut".
    Thank god studying and working in STEM I don't have to talk with illogical people like you more often.
    Yeah, the guy who already made the news a second time because people found out he's lying. Oops, it's yet another case of Nazi crying Nazi, like the wolf crying wolf.

Also, the only kind of STEM that can be associated with the alt-right is probably the abject lack of a brainstem, because their kind is utterly incapable of understanding any facts or the workings of universe whatsoever. Did your research on how to bend reality reap any results yet?
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2017-09-08 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    Oh oh oh here comes the concern trolling, leveled up from the sealioning earlier. Yes yes, we know you are such an "awoke" independent. Now spin another cool story that hasn't been rehashed a thousand times over on this very forum.
    And here comes the "Can't hear you" comments. Typical.

Especially since every other country in the world but Syria and Nicaragua recognize that Climate Change is happening since they all signed the Paris Climate Accord.
    Nicaragua recognizes it. They didn't sign Paris Accord because they considered it to be too weak, not unneeded. And Syria has a slight problem with civil war and unstable government, so they didn't have the best opportunity to sign anything. US is on this pretty much alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sgthotrod View Post
    Helped write county and provincial adaptation policy. Worked with investment banking on the same. Presented my work at a national conference last year, and I'm speaking at an international conference later this year.

I don't talk about it a lot because I don't imagine most of you folks are actually interested in the specifics of what I do, and I'd rather my arguments carry weight due to their internal consistency and accuracy, not because I claimed you should believe me because of my credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    No... of all the papers on climate change, around 3% took the position that it wasn't happening or wasn't caused by humans. The majority of that 3% have been debunked.
    Technically incorrect in two ways - the Quartz' post is not very accurate. Doesn't change the conclusion - but just silly to have such errors when debunking.

The papers claimed to have examined 38 papers, stating that those were the 38 most prominent ones rejecting global warming consensus. All of those 38 were found wanting, although it is unclear if all were faulty when they appeared (the oldest was from 1991).

The paper references Cook (2013) that examined 11 944 papers and about 0.7% rejected global warming consensus, and 0.3% were unsure about causes, and 32.6% confirmed it - and most had no position (which makes sense - if you study the impact of climate change you don't have to start the paper by repeating what the causes are).

So 3% rejected it - of the ones that took any position, not of all papers.

That means about 84 (78-89) papers rejected the consensus, and 38 out of 84 is not a majority - but it seems unlikely that one of the remaining papers is both correct and actually deny the climate change consensus.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2017-09-08 at 09:53 PM.

Nobel prize winner and physicist Ivar Giaever
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_Giaever
    He got his nobel prize in physics. Not Climatology. He knows about as much about the climate as you or I do. I really do not see how his credentials qualify him as a particularily trustworthy source. Unlike the actual climate scientists that we keep talking about.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Helped write county and provincial adaptation policy. Worked with investment banking on the same. Presented my work at a national conference last year, and I'm speaking at an international conference later this year.

I don't talk about it a lot because I don't imagine most of you folks are actually interested in the specifics of what I do, and I'd rather my arguments carry weight due to their internal consistency and accuracy, not because I claimed you should believe me because of my credentials.
    This wasn't aimed at you but everyone in general