Poll: Is this GM a Hypocrite in YOUR opinion?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I would not say there is any hipocrisy. The GW is a very low tier of the Blizzard Hierarchy. He just gets an order from above, and that's it.

As for the name... Why would you pick a name like that in the first place? Why not pick a normal name?
    To stir bullshit by naming himself something that was obviously controversial. He knew exactly what he was doing and then played ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    It's not "hypocritical" for them to punish players if they violate things that would be unsuitable for younger players. Even if the game is rated T in the USA/some similar equivalent in Europe, children still play the game and their ToS reflects this. You can get muted for saying words like "fuck" or "bitch", if a GM so chose to punish you for it.

However, this GM is full of shit. Leave it to a dumpsterfire community like MMOChampion to side with a blatantly awful GM, but whatever. "Twogenders" isn't offensive in any capacity, let alone offensive enough to be flagged and given a ban for. A simple forced namechange would have been fine. It's true that the GM himself (who barely spoke proper English despite the fact they were using the language to communicate with a player) didn't even have an explainable reason why the ban was being issued. The GM flat-out couldn't give a proper reason why they were issuing a punishment.

This GM needs to be punished by his superiors, for sure. Whether or not you agree that "Twogenders" should have been punished or not, the GM handled the situation extremely poorly.
    He was given a 3 day suspension, not for the name, but for circumventing the forced name change.

'Twogenders'

Blizzard Naming Rules: https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/34530

First rule broken: Consist of a partial or complete sentence contained within the name (Hihowareyou, Ilikebeans). (Minor Violation)

Second rule broken: Have racial, ethnic, or national connotations. (Serious Violation)

Third rule broken: Negatively refer to any aspect of sexual orientation pertaining to themselves or other players (Severe Violation)

He's lucky to have just gotten a warning, then he pushed back and, rightfully, got banned.

Say what you want, but 'Two Genders' is just an angry meme meant to make people who feel like they fit into neither category uncomfortable, as if something is wrong with them. It has no place in an online world, where Gender is irrelevant, and where many people escape life into.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    He was given a 3 day suspension, not for the name, but for circumventing the forced name change.
    Ah; okay. He got a 24 hour ban for naming himself from "Twogenders" to "Twoogenders". I sort of missed that.

Still, the GM handled the situation poorly either way.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Third rule broken: Negatively refer to any aspect of sexual orientation pertaining to themselves or other players (Severe Violation)
    Pretty much /thread there, not really an argument that can be made against that one, gg ol' chap, gg

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck if it would fit in YOUR opinion. I care about the ridiculous claim that it's "normal". Being a reference means nothing as well.
    Names, and them being normal, is always subjected to circumstances. A name like Gertrude is completly normal in central england, but in Xiu Hue Province, northern China, it's outstandingly abnormal. And while a name like 'Skulltaker' might be weird if given to a child from a british-hungarian couple living in Winnepeg, I can very much see Mr. and Mrs. Orc from Orgrimmar giving their son, whom they have high hopes for in regard of his future military career, the name Skulltaker - in orcish, of course. As I don't speak orcish, and I was to lazy to google if there was something as an orcish (WarCraft) - english dictionary to see how you say 'skulltaker' in orcish, and seeing how I wasn't to enthusiastic about people asking me about my actual orcish name and what it meant, please excuse me for improvising, and picking it in english.

Now if you can find me a fitting setting in the WarCraft universe where some dickhead parents decided to name their poor little abomination of a boy-girl-gnome-Tauren-hybrid 'twogenders', please do tell. Or
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2017-09-08 at 11:04 PM.

It's a honorific and/or title, like 'the great', 'the terrible', Foehammer, Lightbringer, etc. It also bears little meaning in real life. At least I am not aware of any discussions about people (forcefully) taking someones skull. Google Skulltaker, and most following links will lead you to versions of said character. Google twogenders, and see what happens.

If you can provide me with a paragraph where the name violates the terms of service of Blizzard, please?
    "Are trademarked or licensed by a company or an individual."

I mean... Does it really need explaining?

The only thing "Twogenders" falls under is "Are otherwise considered inappropriate for the game world." Which is it. No need to bring identity politics into the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Ah; okay. He got a 24 hour ban for naming himself from "Twogenders" to "Twoogenders". I sort of missed that.

How so? The GM took action towards a player for breaking the rules.

oh I couldn't understand half the shit that GM typed

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Dude. Kind of had to fix that for you. That "Not" is kind of important. Because you know you wouldn't keep a name like that for long.

But yeah you call yourself a name like that then your own fault for whatever consequences.
    I've just looked and there are a bunch of 'zyklonb' characters on EU realms (21 at the mo) and 2 'nigger' characters. None are max level, which is probably how they avoided being reported. All this stuff is player policed but I'm surprised these have slipped through.

Names, and them being normal, is always subjected to circumstances. A name like Gertrude is completly normal in central england, but in Xiu Hue Province, northern China, it's outstandingly abnormal. And while a name like 'Skulltaker' might be weird if given to a child from a british-hungarian couple living in Winnepeg, I can very much see Mr. and Mrs. Orc from Orgrimmar giving their son, whom they have high hopes for in regard of his future military career, the name Skulltaker - in orcish, of course. As I don't speak orcish, and I was to lazy to google if there was something as an orcish (WarCraft) - english dictionary to see how you say 'skulltaker' in orcish, and seeing how I wasn't to enthusiastic about people asking me about my actual orcish name and what it meant, please excuse me for improvising, and picking it in english.

Now if you can find me a fitting setting in the WarCraft universe where some dickhead parents decided to name their poor little abomination of a boy-girl-hybrid 'twogenders', please do tell.
    Name a single character in WoW that has a name with two words stuck together that isn't a nickname. I'll wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

24 hour ban seems weird. My name has been reported and changed 8 times in the past year and a half and I just rename him to the same name every time. Never gotten a ban. Ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    His name was "Twogenders" (saw it earlier this morning), and he got a forced name change, lmao. That's idiotic.

I could've understood it if was on a RP server but other than that, no.

But it's just another case of SJW culture in WoW so I am no longer surprised by it.

Oh come along now. The GM may not have articulated it as clearly as they could have, but it's pretty obvious why this person was asked to change their name. It's a play on the intentionally inflammatory "there are only two genders" statement, which is almost exclusively used to rile people up, spark heated debates, and cause trouble. Obviously they'd prefer not to have people running around in the game with names like that.

Name a single character in WoW that has a name with two words stuck together that isn't a nickname. I'll wait.
    Tyrande Whisperwind. Malfurion and Illidan Stormrage. Maiev Shadowsong. Basically, most Nightelves.

Grom and Garrosh Hellscream. Wow, they just keep coming. Chen and Lili Stormstout (and the rest of their family).

The Bronzebeards come to mind.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2017-09-08 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingspatula View Post
    24 hour ban seems weird. My name has been reported and changed 8 times in the past year and a half and I just rename him to the same name every time. Never gotten a ban. Ever.
    Depends on the GM, had a buddy get a 3 day ban for inappropriate names (last one that did was Dildozer lol)

but that's besides the point, he wasn't suspended for the name, he was suspended for changing twogenders to twoogenders, circumventing the force name change.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL that's actually ridiculous. Are people SERIOUSLY offended by the name "Twogender"? In what way, shape or form is THAT provocative or offensive or whatever? Holy moly I like to think I'm a pretty considerate guy and dislike offensive or suggestive things, but this is actually ridiculous.

Are you freaking serious right now?

Compound words are 3/4th of all warcraft naming conventions

Hellscream
    Whisperwind
    Bloodhoof
    Gearslip
    Stormrage
    Bronzebeard
    Blackhand

Like you really just said that?

Whisperwind, Stormrage, Hellscream, Greymane, Bronzebeard and those are just off the top of my head. You obviously know the first names.

Oh and Windrunner. If I can think of any more I'll let you know.

As @Skulltaker posted. Blackmoore, Proudmoore and Trollbane.

Some others would be Brightwing, Hawkspear, Sunstrider, Stormstout, Foxton and Dawnblade.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-09-08 at 11:18 PM.

I remember a guy who was in my guild a long time ago named Pedobear. Seeing Pedobear, The Love Fool running around was always funny.