View Poll Results: The Greatest Sci-Fi Series ever in your opinion?

Voters
264. This poll is closed
  • Star Trek

48 18.18%
  • Star Wars

48 18.18%
  • Battlestar Galactica

32 12.12%
  • Farscape

24 9.09%
  • Dr Who

12 4.55%
  • Stargate SG1

43 16.29%
  • Other (Comment Below)

32 12.12%
  • Babylon 5

25 9.47%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    battlestar 2003
    and farscape

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Funny, the problem I had with Universe was that it felt in the beginning like some weird Teen Show. *laugh*
    teen show why? it was a show about human beings trapped on a voyage on a alien ship without resources and control over the ship course, without hope of going back home, there were like 3 "teen" characters only, main problem was it was too slow, they writed a show to last for 3 seasons at least, hoping that any sg fan will watch it just for being called sg, the truth was the show was a failure for most of the sg fans mainly atlantis ones and had bad audience number in the beginning of the show and they(scifi and metro) decided to cancel it when the series started to rise, both in audience number and story wise

The Expanse is really good.

Proud to see many of you love Farscape.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I'm surprised to see people like Farscape. I found it to be really insufferable, it was like "Eureka" in space.
    Sounds like someone that only watched the start of the first season. Even the purposefully insufferable characters like Rygel and Chyana are so nice in that show. Take it back!

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Just wanted to point out that Star Trek also did something similar with William and Thomas Riker as well as the whole Data/Lore thing.
    If you think either of those compare (especially the idiotic Riker storyline) even remotely to what they did with the two Crichtons in Farscape, you're sorely mistaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Sounds like someone that only watched the start of the first season. Even the purposefully insufferable characters like Rygel and Chyana are so nice in that show. Take it back!
    Yeah, it's too bad people see puppets and immediately write it off. I thought the use of Henson Company for some of the aliens was really smart. It let them have aliens that were far more unique than the lame Trek "forehead aliens" and looked far more real than crappy low budget CGI. Farscape was also a series that took a little while to really get going and the early episodes are not all that great. Totally worth it to stick with though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    If you think either of those compare (especially the idiotic Riker storyline) even remotely to what they did with the two Crichtons in Farscape, you're sorely mistaking.
    It's honestly been quite awhile since I watched either TNG or Farscape so I don't really remember the details for either all that well but the I always thought the two Rikers thing was pretty clever. Cannot say that either is better than the other, I was just pointing out that they didn't kill off the other Riker at the end of the episode either and they did some interesting things with the character like having him still be in love with Troi and him joining the Maqui.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PL-Cibo View Post
    Babylon 5. it didn't age well,
    Atlest the space battels are well corrected, and the camera are at a reasonable distance and move at reasonable speed. No stupid modern shaking camera and to "close"..

But I agreed the CGI have not age to well....the story is still fantastic
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2017-09-09 at 04:25 PM.

It's easily Farscape for me as well. It nails everything from the writing, to the casting, the well-aged use of practical effects, the self awareness, the balance of continuity with adventure-of-the-week, and the ability to nail both hilarious comedy and serious drama without either feeling out of place.

The only part of Farscape I didn't like was the one-off episode they did to wrap everything up after the main show ended. Other than that, it was an absolute delight from start to finish.

Babylon 5 - by far.

Invalid poll because the obvious answer is missing from the list.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

It's hard to pick a greatest ever. But here's a few I really liked.

1: Sliders

2: Total Recall: 2070

3: Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles

Edit: I guess I do have a greatest ever; Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Also as corny as it was I really like Eureka. It had so much heart.
    Last edited by Zmaniac17; 2017-09-09 at 04:49 PM.

I would say Westworld without a doubt, If I thought it counted as a sci-fi, which I dont.

Battlestar Galactica. The Characters, the plot, the universe, the suspense! It's been a while since I watched it, so this is probably the rose-tinted glasses talking, but I cant really remember that much wrong with it!

Also, anyone saying : The expanse , are just wrong.
    I've no idea what to write here.

It's honestly been quite awhile since I watched either TNG or Farscape so I don't really remember the details for either all that well but the I always thought the two Rikers thing was pretty clever. Cannot say that either is better than the other, I was just pointing out that they didn't kill off the other Riker at the end of the episode either and they did some interesting things with the character like having him still be in love with Troi and him joining the Maqui.
    Again, it doesn't even come close to comparing what they did in Farscape. Not even a notable fraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post

Battlestar Galactica. The Characters, the plot, the universe, the suspense! It's been a while since I watched it, so this is probably the rose-tinted glasses talking, but I cant really remember that much wrong with it!

Also, anyone saying : The expanse , are just wrong.
    It holds up. Great writing on that show. Until the end kinda fizzled. "33" is my favorite episode.

And I agree about the expanse. It has a lot of things going for it but it lacks the soul of a good series. Plot is not very interesting and neither are the characters. It doesn't do anything very bold and restricts itself to trying to be overly realistic.

Tough call since all the great sci-fi shows have unique aspects that make them great and set them apart from their competition. I'd have to go with Babylon 5, one of the best stories and one of the first real shows that had itself more or less planned out from start to finish, plus it seemed a more realistic future vs Star Trek's near utopian one. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the ones people have mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, it doesn't even come close to comparing what they did in Farscape. Not even a notable fraction.
    If you say so. I guess your opinion trumps everyone else's, eh?

BSG is definitely the one. Stunning CGI for a show of that time that also aged pretty well, the writing, from characters, through setting to the plot is amazing, and the acting beats that of any other sci-fi series that I've watched by a mile. Though I'm probably biased by the fact I dislike series where alien species mostly differ from humans by the shape of ears and nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    teen show why? it was a show about human beings trapped on a voyage on a alien ship without resources and control over the ship course, without hope of going back home, there were like 3 "teen" characters only, main problem was it was too slow, they writed a show to last for 3 seasons at least, hoping that any sg fan will watch it just for being called sg, the truth was the show was a failure for most of the sg fans mainly atlantis ones and had bad audience number in the beginning of the show and they(scifi and metro) decided to cancel it when the series started to rise, both in audience number and story wise
    First:
    Why the fuck where there even Teens around? Why Are there Teenagers offworld. Usually you would think to be able to go to such a Project you would´ve need some qualifications. But the people there appear to have none.

And the First episodes felt more like Teeny Drama than a good Sci-Fi, who gets on with who, and so on. For most of the Characters the wikipedia pretty much only have what "Job" they have, and with whom they slept. Later on, it wasnt bad. But the Cast was (for me) Unlikeable, because they worked even more against themselves than the NID worked against the SG-Command in SG1.

The only two Characters who in my Opinion had any Business offworld (there) where Rush and Young. (Maybe the Soldiers, because thay at least should´ve had Military Training)

Another big problem was that there was no Enemy, no "real" threat. It was obvious from the Beginning that they can get whatever they need. Later on it was Obvious that Rush can control the Ship.
    And they needed two seasons I think to establish an Enemy, a direction where the show is going.

If you say so. I guess your opinion trumps everyone else's, eh?
    No, it's fucking objective.

A single fucking episode is nothing compared to a season-long arc in which both characters were fully developed, their existence fully explored, and the consequences of their existence a continuing arc for quite some time after the story ended.

There's no god damned comparison between the two.

No, it's fucking objective.
    Objective: (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Objective: (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
    I'm aware.

It wasn't subjective. A single shittly-written paragraph doesn't compare in depth to a god damned series of novels. That's what's effectively being compared.