View Poll Results: Should the homeless be evacuated from the storm against their will?

Voters
146. This poll is closed
  • Yes

115 78.77%
  • Np

31 21.23%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    When you have winds going fast enough to rip trees out of the ground and turn them into sidewinder missiles with equivalent destructive capacity, there is no difference between homeless and homeowner. I live in Oklahoma and I can assure you from personal experience, walls don't mean shit if the wind and water want you dead. The only smart people from Florida right now are the ones not in Florida right now.

If anyone, homeless or not, wishes to test their luck against the hurricane, I say to let them. Either they will find their inner Bear Grylls or Darwin will reap the harvest. Furthermore, once they're dead, literally none of that extra stuff will be their problem. Therefore, irrelevant points.
    Yeah . . . the wind makes those trees explode . . . definitely. Anyways, onto something more intelligent, you do realize that being in a shelter means that you're not just going to get ripped off of the ground and flung around by those winds that are ripping trees out of the ground, yes? Or how about the fact that being in a home affords you the ability to get above flood waters or storm surges; whereas, if you're not in a home then you're going to get caught up in the flooding and storm surges and could even be washed out to sea if you're near the coast, but yeah being in a home makes no difference whatsoever . . .

Also, hurricanes and tornadoes are completely different beasts Mr. Oklahoma. a category 5 hurricane has wind speeds of about 157 mph and that's the highest category (meaning they physically can't get much faster than that). Those wind speeds are roughly equivalent to a strong F2 or weak F3 tornado and tornadoes go up to F5 which are up to 318 mph (about double the wind speeds of a category 5 hurricane), So no, you cannot assure me, or anyone for that matter, from personal experience that walls don't mean shit in a hurricane.
    Last edited by Vynny; 2017-09-10 at 03:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Drugs and alcoholism are killing them, just at a different rate, they aren't committing suicide that's for sure.
    What a shitty excuse.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Even if they happen to be drunk or under the influence of drugs and don't know what is going on and what the situation actually is? Even if they are mentally ill? Obviously these homeless people don't want to die or else they would've already killed themselves. They are probably just confused. But you don't give a shit, alright. What a saint you are.
    oh c'mon, do i have to write anything out for you ? if they are drunk or drugged and anybody and their gandma can see it, your points are valid.
    but just on the case "oh, they deny it, they MUST be insane" i cannot follow you and never will.

the guy in the opening post was informed about everything and still denied, albeit in a rude manner. then the case is closed in my books. no, they dont want to die, BUT also dont want to be ordered around. well, their choice, not mine. not a saint, just realist.

give them all the info about the danger and see how they react. i will take "no" as a valid answer to any offer of help from people able to answer in correct sentences.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    What a shitty excuse.
    That isn't an excuse, it's a god damn reality.

Deleted
    I really hate people that say "Sounds like 1984" when it's obvious they have never bloody read it

these assholes are gonna create more fucking work for the cleanup crews when they have to dispose of their corpses. fuck yes it's right to evacuate them against their will.

Volenti non fit iniuria. If someone wants to die, let him die.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    I thought you believed life was sacred?

3 dead already.
    Life is sacred. However, in this case i hate how hypocritical society is... they don't care about them on regular days yet they are virtue signalling that they're saving them from themselves when the truth is they probably want to stop homeless people looting shops while everyone is evacuated.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    Volenti non fit iniuria. If someone wants to die, let him die.
    /thread

as i said: it's very nice of you to want to help and rescue, but it has its own limits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Life is sacred. However, in this case i hate how hypocritical society is... they don't care about them on regular days yet they are virtue signalling that they're saving them from themselves when the truth is they probably want to stop homeless people looting shops while everyone is evacuated.
    And that's a problem because?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    That isn't an excuse, it's a god damn reality.
    People have addictions. Doesn't mean they should be left to die. So no, shitty excuse. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    can you handcuff them for staying in the path ? and to simple assume "mental instability" is also weird. are they entitled so sue you for being sane all the time afterwards ?
    I'm not sure why you feel like being handcuffed is some great crime against humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    give them all the info about the danger and see how they react. i will take "no" as a valid answer to any offer of help from people able to answer in correct sentences.
    My father used to be homeless for 7-8 years and an alcoholic for many years and when I saw him again, he thought the government poisoned the water supply. You give them the "info" and some of them might just distrust you. That doesn't mean you leave them to die. We have a thing called compassion and empathy. Most of us do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    I thought you believed life was sacred?

3 dead already.
    Republicans only care about a " human being " until the moment they are born.

- - - Updated - - -

/thread

as i said: it's very nice of you to want to help and rescue, but it has its own limits.
    No you have limits, and it stops before compassion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    My father used to be homeless for 7-8 years and an alcoholic for many years and when I saw him again, he thought the government poisoned the water supply. You give them the "info" and some of them might just distrust you. That doesn't mean you leave them to die. We have a thing called compassion and empathy. Most of us do anyway.
    you are entitled to ruin your life, even by distrust and its consequences. save them, if you want, but dont come and cry for bruises.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    au contrair. he could have simply been arrested for vagrancy.
    So simple yet so genius. Hold them in jail for vagrancy until the hurricane passes.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I'm not sure why you feel like being handcuffed is some great crime against humanity.
    restriction of movement just because you want to feel good and morale superior ? nope.

Damnit I hate when you answer the poll only after reading the OP and not the question in the poll itself to discover that it wasn't worded how you thought it was.

Deleted
    restriction of movement just because you want to feel good and morale superior ? nope.
    The police have a duty to protect the citizens, even from selfharm. It's why we don't just let people kill themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    these assholes are gonna create more fucking work for the cleanup crews when they have to dispose of their corpses. fuck yes it's right to evacuate them against their will.
    I'm not going to call out anyone here, I will just say that I survived through Hurricane Andrew in South Fla. during the mid-90s. I can attest first-hand to the power of a cat4 Hurricane, it blew pieces of sawgrass and wood chips through walls, it shattered even some hurricane-proof glass and turned those little pieces into projectiles and flooded street and house alike without discretion. I was lucky enough to live in a home with a panic room and of high enough elevation that the storm surge was minimal and wind damage from said projectiles was minimized as well. now, to my point: after the storm there were SEVERAL dead homeless people with no family or friend to claim them, so the responsibility for cremation/burial was on the state and the taxpayer, not something i want to pay for when they are too obstinate, ignorant or incipient to understand/want to get off the street long enough to survive a storm of such magnitude.
    Secondly, i have had several run-ins with homeless folk, both good and bad..let me tell you about one of these encounters: Being a small business owner back in those days (Window Cleaning) i was always on the lookout for help daily when bigger jobs were available. One day i offered a homeless man 80.00 worth of pay, free breakfast and lunch, and the ability to basically do whatever he wanted on the roof of a skyscraper, he just had to push me back and forth across the roof on a roller system for Bosun's chair work...to make a long story short he refused the work, stating that "i make about 100-120 a day spare-changing out here man, so no, im good"...theses are the people you are dealing with, they have the money (some of them) and ability to get out of the path of a hurricane but refuse because addictions, complacency, w/e...
    Now, saying the above, you would think im ALL FOR letting these asshats die, but honestly they are in OBVIOUS need of help because they cant even make simple life decisions that will benefit them on a daily basis, so please, enough with the "let them die" mentality. Be a human being (maybe for the first time in your life) and save a life or two if you can...reach out, call someone but DON'T just leave them to their own devices simply because it is the right thing to do. Besides, YOU might end up homeless one day and God forbid there is no one to reach out to you.
    Last edited by Wramp; 2017-09-10 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Grammar & Punct.