Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post

Also I guess I completely missed the part about Disney lying about something. Did they say they would never make a Star Wars movie? Because to me when I heard they bought the rights and shit that's the very first thing that came to me.
    It was Lucas before he sold Lucasfilm, but the gist was it was to be the last SW movie. The End. It doesn't matter to me who bought it or why, but now dragging this out for a mere profit grab stinks.

I've already commented on the rest of it.

You can't just go through this entire thought process without possibly thinking that you are in the very same situation.
    <continues to ignore>

And then, when even things are explained to such a specimen, right when they're on the verge of understanding, their only defense -- feeble as it is -- is to try and turn it around. This once more leads back to their firm belief that they, and they alone, are the sole arbiters of truth and intellect in the cosmos. They'll even say things like "it makes no difference to me how much effort you put into being wrong," all while completely incapable of comprehending the absolute hilarity in the irony of it all.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uggggggggggggh fucking gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    It was Lucas before he sold Lucasfilm, but the gist was it was to be the last SW movie. The End. It doesn't matter to me who bought it or why, but now dragging this out for a mere profit grab stinks.

I've already commented on the rest of it.
    Does George Lucas have any authority anymore? I mean they bought the rights they can do what they want I suppose?
    Also, keep one thing in mind, cash grabs as you imply don't really exist. People want this and willingly pay for it. If this is a cash grab, it means that someone opening a candy store in a neighborhood where there is demand for it is also a cash grab.

There is demand, someone makes an offer, customers are happy with what they get. Maybe you're not happy, but the very vast majority clearly is.

Just a reminder: Keep it civil. You can like/not like Episode VII, you can't call people names or accuse them of trolling because of their opinion in what is a subjective, artistic medium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds alright, hope he does a good job of it Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy seems like the life force behind Star Wars being reborn, let see how it finishes out.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Not sure why people hate on the Force Awakens, it was a lot better than those terrible prequels. Not getting the Mary Sue thing either, feels like misogyny.
    Been better than the prequels is hardly a high bar....

This is the problem with the people defending the movie. They just shout down any criticisms of Ray amd Finn as sexist or racist. Both were poorly written characters and in Finns case terribly acted. Ray is too poweful too quickly and knew everything frok how to fly a ship expertly and fix it expertly as well as instantly becoming a jedi master, it was just poor writing and character developement. Finn is Jar Jar levels of bad, he could od not even been in the movie. Also look at captain Phasma, why was the character in the movie.

I had more than 1 problem with it but yeah this shot was pretty annoying indeed.
    Well I am curious to what they were. I mean I hear people say they didnt like how character X was or how it was so much like a New Hope or Luke at the ending was strange but truth be told these are just normal things in movies these days. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed movies from the 1980ish era more but I feel time is just going to march forward. Also don't get me wrong I feel JJ is also being picked because he is a safe pick. The Disney crowd knows he will play ball. They know his name pulls in a crowd (like it or not), and let us not forget he did direct the first film that was a box office, record setting, smash hit to say the very least. Disney likes money. Disney doesn't like the shit they have gotten for Rogue One's directing drama at the end and now the Han Solo directing drama that recently unfolded. So JJ will bring that fat cash and save them the drama. It is a clear win win.

I mean you may say fuck JJ and not go see it. Even though I get the feeling you will in some fashion. If not in the seats at, you will rent it, buy it, or pay-per-view it -- AKA the money river keeps flowing. But I get the feeling it will compete with the Force Awakens when it comes to ticket sells and merch. Now this is also kind of an asshole stance to take. I get it. But truth be told it will likely still be a pretty good movie. Will I think it is better than Empire? Pretty unlikely. But that is pretty unlikely no matter who was directing it. It is possible but the odds are stacked against it.

End of the day it is a safe pick. He isn't as bad as everyone tries to push he is. Reminds me of internet meme culture giving someone way to much shit because of "omg lens flare" or something that isn't that big of a deal. It will make a lot of money without a doubt and his name will help that out. I have no doubt it will also end up an entertaining movie. Greatest of all time? Hard to say but unlikely. But to go into something seeing it as a failure if it doesn't messure up to a "greatest of all time" is kind of an asshole stance to take as well.

Go it goes both ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Does George Lucas have any authority anymore? I mean they bought the rights they can do what they want I suppose?
    Also, keep one thing in mind, cash grabs as you imply don't really exist. People want this and willingly pay for it. If this is a cash grab, it means that someone opening a candy store in a neighborhood where there is demand for it is also a cash grab.

There is demand, someone makes an offer, customers are happy with what they get. Maybe you're not happy, but the very vast majority clearly is.
    I don't know if he does or not. But this flick is apparently going ahead anyway.

Again, "vast vast majority" likes a lot of things that are stupid, low quality/badly done, or what have you, and will waste their money on it. P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Doesn't change the fact that in many people's eyes it will be crap.

Welp time for ROTJ 2.0 I guess, JJ isn't gonna be capable of anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp time for ROTJ 2.0 I guess, JJ isn't gonna be capable of anything else.

YOU READY FOR ANOTHER PLANET DESTROYING SUPER WEAPON!

- - - Updated - - -

All I wanted from the ST was the kind of crazy world building and concepts that were the one real thing hte Prequels really excelled at (to me as a setting it's more interesting than the rebellion era) mixed with the Solid script work and character development of the OT.

It looks like EP 8 is the only real hope for that now, the rest will just be "WHAT EVEN IS WORLD BUILDING, LOL YOU WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHY THE BAD GUYS HATE THE REPUBLIC, FUCK YOU!" with characters that really make as little sense as the ones in the prequels but are somewhat more likable and a plot designed to make you go "LOLOLOL REMEMBER THIS THING YOU LIKED IN THIS MOVIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    See you in line for the movie, I know you're buying tickets.
    It'll probably end up unwatched in my netflix queue like that rogue movie. But that is a line for the movie, so point goes to you.

After all the prequels the Force Awakens was a breath of fresh air. Star Wars isn't known for it's writing, it's known for its visuals, floating cities, fancy robots, stuff that makes you go "woah!"

I'll watch it and maybe more than once.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    After all the prequels the Force Awakens was a breath of fresh air. Star Wars isn't known for it's writing, it's known for its visuals, floating cities, fancy robots, stuff that makes you go "woah!"

I'll watch it and maybe more than once.
    Well said, good sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    I don't know if he does or not. But this flick is apparently going ahead anyway.

Again, "vast vast majority" likes a lot of things that are stupid, low quality/badly done, or what have you, and will waste their money on it. P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Doesn't change the fact that in many people's eyes it will be crap.
    Yeah sure a lot of people who like bad shit but it's not a rule for anything, there's a lot of good stuff that's liked by a lot of people, we can't discredit all that. In the end these are big productions that are made to be seen by as many people as possible. They don't aim these movies for a niche crowd, this isn't black metal made by some norwegian kids in a garage for fun.

Yes there's a lot of people who hated TFA or just straight up hate JJ. There's also a lot of people who hated The Godfather and Citizen Kane and Pulp Fiction.
    OKAY sure TFA isn't on that level artistically, no doubt about that, I never said TFA was the best movie of all time. But to call it crap when there's stuff like Fifty Shades of Whatever and Snatched with fucking Amy Schumer, come on let's be real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Juh-Jabrams, yur.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to fuck up a Star Wars movie to a point where it doesn't even feel like Star Wars anymore (even the SWTOR trailers manage to captivate the Star Wars atmosphere). The Force Awakens proved me wrong. Weak characters, copy+paste story, weak soundtrack, forgettable places (and characters), rushed plot... I don't know how you could like this movie as a Star Wars fan (hell, even the costumes were shit). It's a mediocre action movie loosely tied to the Star Wars universe. There's nothing gained by watching this movie.
    Rogue One suffered from the same problems and was even shittier than TFA.
    I honestly don't understand how you could fuck up this hard with a brand like Star Wars and a huge fucking budget.
    Rogue One was awesome! But maybe too dark for you, maybe you needs some ewoks n shit?? Movie wasn't perfect, but it was good, way better than I expected. Pleasant surprise. Things have been going down-hill since Return of the Jedi, fucking baby bears defeating a galactic empire..wtf?...Rogue One is the first movie since Empire that is good.

I bet these furry little cunts are going to defeat the last order n sell a gazillion toys..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I love how ppl are complaining that the guy who directed the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time world wide and the highest grossing movie in North America is getting another opportunity to direct one of these films. Yea guys im totally going to take your opinion over the millions of others who loved the movie so much they went to see it again and again and again in theaters. I saw this movie 5 times in theaters. If you think other movies are so much better than what JJ put out then why are you not seeing them repeatedly. And why dont millions of people see it repeatedly? Some people go see a movie once and even tho its a good movie wont see it again in theaters. This movie had sooo many repeat viewings. If people hated it as much as you guys did why did it make so much money. Your a minority, no one cares what you think about the movie.
    Lots of people see Transformers.

Lots of people eat at McDonalds.

Lots of people are fucking idiots.
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2017-09-13 at 04:03 PM.

I liked Rogue One and thought TFA was pretty bad. Not as bad as 1 - 3, but still bad. I don't like the new Star Trek movies either. Abrams doesn't really do sci fi, he just does action in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    I liked Rogue One and thought TFA was pretty bad. Not as bad as 1 - 3, but still bad. I don't like the new Star Trek movies either. Abrams doesn't really do sci fi, he just does action in space.
    Good thing Star Wars isn't Sci Fi, and focuses on action and story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty interesting if you ask me. I didn't like TFA, but I will admit it did a lot of good to the franchise. Awesome characters and simply fantastic cinematography. I have faith considering JJ has admitted to what he felt he did wrong; making the plot similar to ANH was one of them.

I understand his point of view. Directing a Star Wars movie is a gargantuan task; but 7 was the first movie in in a decade. He had an absolutely huge burden on his back.

With this burden no longer on his shoulders, and Rian Johnson seemingly taking the franchise in an original path, I'm excited.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I love all these armchair critics XD

The movie did amazing in theaters. So will #8, and so will #9.

You mad? Not to mention Star wars episode 7 did over 2 bil, and the latest transformers did roughly 600mil (less than 1/3), your point again was?
    Point still stands, people go out to watch stupid shit rather than let it flop because they are dumb af.

If you think numbers matter then McDonalds is the best cuisine ever created! It was an obvious hint why I brought up McDonalds in my previous post...I can't believe someone is so clueless as you..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sfinna View Post
    Pretty interesting if you ask me. I didn't like TFA, but I will admit it did a lot of good to the franchise. Awesome characters and simply fantastic cinematography. I have faith considering JJ has admitted to what he felt he did wrong; making the plot similar to ANH was one of them.

I understand his point of view. Directing a Star Wars movie is a gargantuan task; but 7 was the first movie in in a decade. He had an absolutely huge burden on his back.

With this burden no longer on his shoulders, and Rian Johnson seemingly taking the franchise in an original path, I'm excited.
    What we need is someone like Dave Filoni, not these others clowns..