Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    You are usually one of the more reasonable posters, but I hardly see how is this relevant or note worthy.
    Indeed, you feeling okay Kell? This is the type of lolworthy article you would expect to see in Sputnik news or something.

Headline may as well read: "Our rusty old sub did something really really cool, but we're not telling you, but it totally happened honest" XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    "Our rusty old sub..."
    Jimmy Carter isn't old. It's been a commissioned vessel for 12 years. Rust is a constant battle for any submarine as the ship moves through an environment that is trying to erode it into nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    It means she performed a covert mission of great significance, wants the world to know it, and doesnt expect the target to figure out what happened to them. Its about the only way to know about such success.
    The government should release all information (ALL information for ANYthing, really) pertaining this so that the US citizens know what is going on. The government owes its people full transparency.

Deleted
    returning to port would indicate maintenance is needed to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    The government should release all information (ALL information for ANYthing, really) pertaining this so that the US citizens know what is going on. The government owes its people full transparency.
    Well, thankfully, that's not the way things are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Or that, you know, their deployment was over. They're not like the Enterprise-D. They generally come home in between deployments.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully very little information about a submarine's missions while on patrol/deployment get released to the public. The whole purpose of a submarine is to do sneaky squirrel level shit that we don't want our rivals to become savvy of, even the 30 year old LA class subs that are still hanging around (talking to you Providence, my old boat)

Maintenance will be done while back in port, since there is always maintenance to be done when you're able to shut down the ol' reactor, but the Jimmy is home from mission and the crew is going to be able to enjoy a stand down to take a little break before getting back to work.
    Last edited by Siraeyou; 2017-09-15 at 01:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraeyou View Post
    (talking to you Providence, my old boat)
    Wow! Providence is still around? I'm pleasantly surprised by this.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Yeah still going strong. I left the boat after it's PIRA back in March and they're trying to get a few more deployments out of her before they decomm. She's not even the oldest active sub right now either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah still going strong. I left the boat after it's PIRA back in March and they're trying to get a few more deployments out of her before they decomm. She's not even the oldest active sub right now either.
    Yeah I served on an old 637 and we decommed at the end of the 90s. They were already decomming some 688s ahead of us. These were the very early ones. The ones that weren't equipped to carry Tomahawks.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-09-15 at 01:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Uhm...Okay...

You are usually one of the more reasonable posters, but I hardly see how is this relevant or note worthy.

It's not like they torpedoed an ISIS battleship or something.
    Submarines get involved in a lot more things than are generally made public. People are surprised by how many cruise missiles are launched via submarine, and submarines are really good at getting groups like the Seals into position.

I never knew this was an American tradition?

I knew it was a British Tradition that dated back years ago and i remember when HMS Conqueror sank the Belgrano and came back flying the Jolly Roger. Oh boy did the Argentine's not like that!!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by efhtkgjgk View Post

I knew it was a British Tradition that dated back years ago and i remember when HMS Conqueror sank the Belgrano and came back flying the Jolly Roger. Oh boy did the Argentine's not like that!!!
    A lot of the American Navy traditions can actually have their roots traced back to the British Navy from back in colonial days. History and tradition has always been something of incredible value to the USN.

Well, thankfully, that's not the way things are.
    Thankfully very little information about a submarine's missions while on patrol/deployment get released to the public. The whole purpose of a submarine is to do sneaky squirrel level shit that we don't want our rivals to become savvy of, even the 30 year old LA class subs that are still hanging around (talking to you Providence, my old boat)
    Dunno about you guys, but I want my government to be accountable to me as a voter.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Jimmy Carter isn't old.
    It's ~20 years since the hull was laid down, but my rust comment was more about the fact it's visibly rusting on the photos.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of the American Navy traditions can actually have their roots traced back to the British Navy from back in colonial days.
    Well if they are flying it to copy the British then I guess we will hear a news story soon about a Russian/Chinese ship that's suffered "mechanical issues" and Kursk'ed itself XD

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if they didn't do anything and are trying to make people think they did do something

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you're talking about the NR-1, the Mystic and the Avalon, then you'd be correct. Otherwise, all submarines are designed for covert operations. Mine was, all the ones in my home port were and even all the boomers and guided missile submarines are designed, inherently, for covert operations. They all do them.
    And you skipped over the second part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Lots of speculation on the writers part as to what that flag means. It could mean lots, or nothing. Could mean it had a successful mission, or nothing to do with a mission. So, I would call the title click bait. If anything, we should discuss the possible meanings of the flag being flown since we don't know why its flown and it being flown was a British tradition.
    It is also a US tradition. It signifies a successful mission.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    What class and purpose are most of the subs that are named after presidents?
    The Carter is the only active submarine named after a president, and he is the only president who was a submariner. The first series of SSBNs included multiple presidents as well as other significant historical Americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Its almost as if you have no understanding of what the purpose of a covert mission is....

- - - Updated - - -

Every ship (or boat in this case) returning from a deployment needs maintenance. The ocean is a very hostile operating environment.

- - - Updated - - -

As a Flight II, she isn't scheduled for decommissioning until 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    They found Half Life 3?
    The Half-Life 3 jokes normally make me roll my eyes, but this cracked me up. Well played.

10+ Year Old Account
    The oldest is USS Bremerton, 1981 (a few months before USS Ohio), and she is intended to be the last of the Flight Is in service in 2019.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by efhtkgjgk View Post

The USN adopted it (mainly in the Pacific) during WWII. The Brits did start the tradition, as an inside joke of sorts.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Not much is known about what missions the USS Jimmy Carter (Seawolf Class SSN modified for covert missions), but it appears her latest cruise was a smashing succes.

Always good to see her succeed.
    Pretty awesome stuff - glad to see they can at show off a little - those guys work insanely hard and accomplish the impossible. Can we speculate as to what they sunk? Does it have to be a sinking to count? The article didn't elaborate on whether a mission accomplished can only be a kill.

Anyone lose a ship or sub or platform?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno about you guys, but I want my government to be accountable to me as a voter.
    They are, that does not mean they tell you everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    It's ~20 years since the hull was laid down, but my rust comment was more about the fact it's visibly rusting on the photos.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if they are flying it to copy the British then I guess we will hear a news story soon about a Russian/Chinese ship that's suffered "mechanical issues" and Kursk'ed itself XD
    She has only been in commission 12 years, she had the longest non-carrier build (6 years) that I know of.