Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Im giving money away, just make it happen.

Why have we monkeys not built a "collapse engine?" It's in the realm of tidal engines but not so dependent on irregular kinetic energy. In a collapse engine it would use the weight of the water above it and it's check valve system to connect to the surface in its construction as a form of pressure relief. Seriously if this thing was designed correctly you have a endless power source sitting there called "the weight of the world."

Get on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    1.world getting more effective and optimized (post 2000 thanks to computers and networks)
    2.re organization of wealth in the world with more effective political choices, reducing wars, misery, huge inequalities, effectiveness of education and rate of discoveries (2000-2200 ad)
    3.discoveries related to the brain and how we could store and modify how it works, making anything possible in the mind of a person
    4.discoveries related to how the universe work and the interaction between matter and quantum scale elements
    5.discoveries related to storing energy
    6.discoveries related to manipulating matter including our dna and how it interacts with our cells, with a 0% possible error
    7.knowledge is now uploaded directly in the brain with no damage and in the most optimized way possible, concepts and thoughts are directly sent to the brain and the brain memorizes it permanently
    8.universe and parallel universes exploration, expansion of humans in reality with no end
    9.discoveries related to consciousness, why it exists, how it was created, where it comes fromes, and its ties with matter. with our expertise of quantum scale and beyond (much beyond quantum scale), life and death are losing their meaning as we can duplicate consciousness, which happens to be tied to an infinity of parallel universes made of primordial information that we couldn't experience with our current senses

Last edited by Cæli; 2017-09-15 at 05:32 PM.

Before we go interstellar shouldn't we have an age where we colonise the solar system? It's possible we'll never go beyond that state (as FTL travel is not something we will definitely discover) but there should be enough matter around our local star to support many times the Earth's current population.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Post-information age is a stupid name, better call it the propaganda age. And it's not something that started in recent years, it was already in use during WWII and probably even before that.
    Information in the sense the OP is using is different than what you're describing. The information age is about the technologies and systems that spread (and can therefore be profited by, directly or indirectly) information that drives global economies and paradigm shifts. What party color that takes is irrelevant, and the two are often not the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Before we go interstellar shouldn't we have an age where we colonise the solar system? It's possible we'll never go beyond that state (as FTL travel is not something we will definitely discover) but there should be enough matter around our local star to support many times the Earth's current population.
    *Low key shaking as he almost goes onto an Expanse book series fan rant.*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post
    Im giving money away, just make it happen.

Why have we monkeys not built a "collapse engine?" It's in the realm of tidal engines but not so dependent on irregular kinetic energy. In a collapse engine it would use the weight of the water above it and it's check valve system to connect to the surface in its construction as a form of pressure relief. Seriously if this thing was designed correctly you have a endless power source sitting there called "the weight of the world."

Get on this.
    Not entirely sure what you're getting at.

If you mean using the kinetic energy of falling water to power things, that's already done; that's hydroelectric. If you mean capturing rainwater, that's done in reservoirs already; you can't effectively do it on buildings or cities because the surface area to collect and channel rainfall doesn't work out (more useful for grey water collection systems). And you can't do it with sewers, because the point of sewers is to get that crap from its source to the sewage treatment plant, and any kinetic generation system has to slow the flow and take energy out of it, which is problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not entirely sure what you're getting at.

If you mean using the kinetic energy of falling water to power things, that's already done; that's hydroelectric. If you mean capturing rainwater, that's done in reservoirs already; you can't effectively do it on buildings or cities because the surface area to collect and channel rainfall doesn't work out (more useful for grey water collection systems). And you can't do it with sewers, because the point of sewers is to get that crap from its source to the sewage treatment plant, and any kinetic generation system has to slow the flow and take energy out of it, which is problematic.
    Falling water isn't enough. The key is the pressurized water you find at depths of the ocean. This would be a seaside project at first. It could be done inland but the key would be having water already pressurized. If you have to pressurize the water you're spending resources that could be better spent on existing technologies. Design would facilitate interaction between the turbine and pressurized water with a relief system to capture rpm's and invoke induction at an industrial level.

Biggest issue is the salt water but with current chemical treatment and manufacturing techniques I'm pretty sure a twenty year replaceable system is in the cards currently. Bringing the sea to landlocked area's past current electrical grids, just seems like we have a lot of the parts in place already. At the kind of money these ideas should be played with we can make a sea, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    The AI age will be the next big jump.
    Pretty much this. AI controlling robots will be something huge and it's coming, we will see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Falling water isn't enough. The key is the pressurized water you find at depths of the ocean. This would be a seaside project at first. It could be done inland but the key would be having water already pressurized. If you have to pressurize the water you're spending resources that could be better spent on existing technologies. Design would facilitate interaction between the turbine and pressurized water with a relief system to capture rpm's and invoke induction at an industrial level.

Biggest issue is the salt water but with current chemical treatment and manufacturing techniques I'm pretty sure a twenty year replaceable system is in the cards currently. Bringing the sea to landlocked area's past current electrical grids, just seems like we have a lot of the parts in place already. At the kind of money these ideas should be played with we can make a sea, right?
    This still doesn't make any sense.

At the depths where you get that pressure, everything's that pressure, and there's no pressure variant to exploit. If you're talking about dropping between the surface and the bottom, you'll just recreate the same pressure gradient throughout the pipe, unless it's sealed. And if it's sealed, again, there's no interchange to exploit.

Free unlimited energy isn't possible, and that's basically what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This still doesn't make any sense.

At the depths where you get that pressure, everything's that pressure, and there's no pressure variant to exploit. If you're talking about dropping between the surface and the bottom, you'll just recreate the same pressure gradient throughout the pipe, unless it's sealed. And if it's sealed, again, there's no interchange to exploit.

Free unlimited energy isn't possible, and that's basically what you're talking about.
    I read a lot of your posts and respect you. You don't use words like "unless," unless you're seeing that thing I saw. Not only do I think unlimited power is possible, I think it's been beneath our feet the whole time.

The relief system wont have the same pressure without the water weight. Gas just wont add up as well. That's all that chamber will be, a gigantic gas relief with gigantic plumbers traps. I'm sure some engineer will rename them to something silly. Plumbers trap already sounds like a fart joke.
    Last edited by God8010; 2017-09-15 at 08:13 PM.

Deleted
    more realistically it will go like this:

1. fusion + automation/robots/AI labor becomes viable. (within 100 years)
    -this will allow for self contained arcologies, closed off societies that can grow food using artificial light. AI labor will allow this food to be multiculture instead of the current monoculture agriculture, vastly reducing the amount of space you need and basically allowing food production in your basement. fusion is not technically required for this but it sure makes it easier. this would allow earths population to rise to quadrillions in theory, population is limited by heat generation, not space or food or w/e.

1.5 construction of an orbital ring. (within a few centuries most likely, depends mostly on global politics)
    -could happen sooner (we have all the needed tech today actually). an orbital ring has a lot more benefits then stuff like space elevators while at the same time not requiring insanely strong materials. tldr of an orbital ring is a superconducting cable spinning around the planet at faster then orbital speed, the excess energy form the spinning is used to magnetically levitate structures, habitats, tethers and skyhooks on/off the ring. since the rings spins fast it allows you to easily launch intrasolar space ships off it, and trains on the ring would allow global travel much faster then air travel. the first ring is hard to create, but after that it become trivial to expand to a huge network.

2. transition into kardishev 2 civilzation, construction of a dyson swarm. (tens of thousands of years)
    -a huge swarm of rotating habitats are created in space to allow untold number of humans to exist. start of terraforming of venus and start of creating domed or subterranean cities on mars. eventually we will turn to mining gas giants for resources (mostly hydrogen to keep that fusion going). at the end of this process we will start starlifting the sun to extend it's lifetime and to get more matter to build habitats. NO FTL is required for this.

2.5 transhumanism. will prolly happen sooner then later. mind backups will become possible at some point, bodies can be maintained forever and enhanced, etc.

3. colonizing other solar syterms (hundreds of thousands of years)
    If we want, but we really dont have to, we can sent some generation ships to other solar systems once we get good at making self contained habitats in space. no real benefit in doing this unless some form of FTL communications/travel is invented.

4. transition to kardishev 3 civilzation. (billions of years)
    just keep doing step 3 until the entire galaxy is covered. technically still no FTL required.

5. start doing crazy shit to keep your civilization going once the final stars die. electronics ran near absolute zero can in theory simulate an entire civilization by leeching rotational energy of a black hole.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-09-15 at 08:36 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    You missed the 2nd coming of the dark ages, where all facts are racist / sexist / homophobic / fascist / white supremacist and thus no advances are made whatsoever because scientific discovery and advancement might be discriminatory towards unintelligent genderfluid starchildren.

Then after that we can get back on the right foot and continue.

I read a lot of your posts and respect you. You don't use words like "unless," unless you're seeing that thing I saw. Not only do I think unlimited power is possible, I think it's been beneath our feet the whole time.

The relief system wont have the same pressure without the water weight. Gas just wont add up as well. That's all that chamber will be, a gigantic gas relief with gigantic plumbers traps. I'm sure some engineer will rename them to something silly. Plumbers trap already sounds like a fart joke.
    Basically what you are talking about here is a perpetual motion machine. Once pressure has collapsed anything it is like...popping a balloon. You will have to blow it up again.

However, there is something out there that exploits deep sea water. Below a certain depth all water is near freezing, even at the equator. You can pump this water to the surface and pair it off with warm sea water through a sterling engine which will produce power.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Basically what you are talking about here is a perpetual motion machine. Once pressure has collapsed anything it is like...popping a balloon. You will have to blow it up again.

However, there is something out there that exploits deep sea water. Below a certain depth all water is near freezing, even at the equator. You can pump this water to the surface and pair it off with warm sea water through a sterling engine which will produce power.
    You need that cold water which when you expand it will be even colder. This is perfect because we don't need a cooling system. All we need is a metering system to control how cold we want it. Piston orifice is non mechanical. When you expand water and transfer through your turbine housing you also have a lot of velocity as a byproduct for a self-priming design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant a mage just open up a portal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I don't think so. Biological life ages, robots you can just easily replace the parts without risking death to surgery. If the brain starts decaying in case of biological life, you're screwed. In a robot body you wouldn't be subject to biological aging, everything could be switched out. You couldn't die from injuries to most parts except if they manage to somehow crash your replacement for brain. Biological life is also constrained by being made of flesh and blood, there's a power limit to them too. A robot the same size as a human would be a lot stronger than a blood and flesh human and more durable.
    That is true, but interfacing flesh and tech is going to be a big barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I don't think so. Biological life ages, robots you can just easily replace the parts without risking death to surgery. If the brain starts decaying in case of biological life, you're screwed. In a robot body you wouldn't be subject to biological aging, everything could be switched out. You couldn't die from injuries to most parts except if they manage to somehow crash your replacement for brain. Biological life is also constrained by being made of flesh and blood, there's a power limit to them too. A robot the same size as a human would be a lot stronger than a blood and flesh human and more durable.
    But with bio tech you can just regrow the limbs, no need for expensive components.

I imagine we'll eventually be able to regrow brain tissue as well.

Sure robots are stronger, they'll probably run factory lines like they do today, but you don't need those things to be sentient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    You're assuming we don't bomb yourself to death before any of that when the planet starts to fail around us.
    Did not take long for someone to post the end of the world........ or the planet will kill us since we killed the planet..

- - - Updated - - -

Unlimited power is not. You'll run out of something at some point. This system will fail at the point the sun expands and burns off all the water on Earth. Your also leaking atmosphere from earth out into space. At some point the system that is Earth will fail and your "unlimited" power goes away as well.

I can keep going with "earth" ending event that yes are many millions of years in the future but still the "unlimited" power is going to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Did not take long for someone to post the end of the world........ or the planet will kill us since we killed the planet..

- - - Updated - - -

Unlimited power is not. You'll run out of something at some point. This system will fail at the point the sun expands and burns off all the water on Earth. Your also leaking atmosphere from earth out into space. At some point the system that is Earth will fail and your "unlimited" power goes away as well.

I can keep going with "earth" ending event that yes are many millions of years in the future but still the "unlimited" power is going to end.
    Everything is relative. Between here and our shared dream of dust there is a lot of time to kill and illusions to dissolve.

Just being realistic here.

To be fair, it's a far more likely scenario than much of the stuff other people suggest in this thread. My favourite is likely the "we'll become energy-beings"-scenario, but people even seem to take things like FTL for granted, in the long run. Needless to say, this is a thread for science-fiction nerds, not for people with degrees in medicine/physics. Or at the least, the former are the ones posting, the latter ones only reading with a smirk or two.