10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder how long until the NFL starts adjusting rules to nerf defensive lines... because the quality of the product is being severely hampered by the lack of offensive line talent coming from college.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Wonder how long until the NFL starts adjusting rules to nerf defensive lines... because the quality of the product is being severely hampered by the lack of offensive line talent coming from college.
    doesn't help one of the top prospects this year got himself hurt. torn miniscus and sprained ACL / MCL >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    doesn't help one of the top prospects this year got himself hurt. torn miniscus and sprained ACL / MCL >.<
    1-5 prospects that end up being good in the pro level isn't enough when every team needs 5 of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's not just lineplay as in team work but individual athletes too.

What would help is the great equalizer in the NFL: MONEY. Just take a look at what good DT's get paid and what good Guards and Centers get paid. Pretty big difference. Why would you want to play O-line when you have elite athleticism? If you can;t make it as an Offensive Tackle for whatever reason, you are better off playing inside on the D-line then inside on the O-line.

You can bet that if O-line get paid better that the quality of athlete there will go up and that more guys will actually be interested in playing there. The market for O-line already shot up considerably this year, but it will likely continue till there's more parity with the D-line.

Right now if you are big and want to play football, but lack the athleticism you get put at O-line. If you have elite athleticism you can bet they'll put you at D-line form an early age, not O-line. That's going to have to change or D-line will always have the upperhand.

It used to be that coordinated teamwork helped combat the lesser burst-athleticism, but that's gone now so the only way forward is better athletes to match.

- - - Updated - - -

This game...

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed this game, indeed...

10+ Year Old Account
    I do like the Giants doing badly and I have a soft spot for the Lions, so this game is terrible to watch, but at least the result will be nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I do like the Giants doing badly and I have a soft spot for the Lions, so this game is terrible to watch, but at least the result will be nice.
    Hehehe I was about to comment that you would be loving the giants crashing and burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't bring myself to watch this one, looks like a good call, maybe the teams will combine for 400 yards of offense soon.

edit - special teams doesn't count!

I decided it would be a good idea to watch the Tigers get murdered again instead of this game, not sure which would have been better looking at the box score. Stafford only having 122 passing yards in the 4th and still being up 14 just screams offensive ineptitude. Unless the Lions got a defense at some point in the offseason.

As for the very little o-line talent coming into the league, it is because of the offenses schools run in college. They don't even teach blocking technique because it isn't needed with their schemes. If there were more schools that ran pro style offenses, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. Pretty much the same reason it takes d-lineman and QBs a few years to adjust usually.
    Last edited by Grube; 2017-09-19 at 02:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's not just lineplay as in team work but individual athletes too.

What would help is the great equalizer in the NFL: MONEY. Just take a look at what good DT's get paid and what good Guards and Centers get paid. Pretty big difference. Why would you want to play O-line when you have elite athleticism? If you can;t make it as an Offensive Tackle for whatever reason, you are better off playing inside on the D-line then inside on the O-line.

You can bet that if O-line get paid better that the quality of athlete there will go up and that more guys will actually be interested in playing there. The market for O-line already shot up considerably this year, but it will likely continue till there's more parity with the D-line.

Right now if you are big and want to play football, but lack the athleticism you get put at O-line. If you have elite athleticism you can bet they'll put you at D-line form an early age, not O-line. That's going to have to change or D-line will always have the upperhand.

It used to be that coordinated teamwork helped combat the lesser burst-athleticism, but that's gone now so the only way forward is better athletes to match.

- - - Updated - - -

This game...
    Back in the late 70s and early 80s the defenses were so suffocating it created a weak NFL product. They adjusted the rules to make it more offensive focused. I think there will be a change eventually because its starting to feel like a relapse. Then again, the NFL had some competition with the USFL back then for a few seasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in the late 70s and early 80s the defenses were so suffocating it created a weak NFL product. They adjusted the rules to make it more offensive focused. I think there will be a change eventually because its starting to feel like a relapse. Then again, the NFL had some competition with the USFL back then for a few seasons.
    What could they really change though? Probowl rules? No stunting, just man to man? Would be incredibly boring. NFL has to make sure that the product stays interesting too, not just "my athletes against your athletes".

Maybe the general public would be fine with a game like that, just as in college, but it would take too much away from the actual team play aspects that make football great.

10+ Year Old Account
    What could they really change though? Probowl rules? No stunting, just man to man? Would be incredibly boring. NFL has to make sure that the product stays interesting too, not just "my athletes against your athletes".

Maybe the general public would be fine with a game like that, just as in college, but it would take too much away from the actual team play aspects that make football great.
    It would have to do something with releasing. Maybe limit how many can be in a 3 point stance at the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats the point of Eli stinking and losing if gumboy isn't here to talk about his hall of fame future?

Fantasy is killing me. My main team already has 6 injured players including David Johnson. I think I might call it after this season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crap. Marcus Cannon has a concussion. That means a back up in at RT. Tom Brady is going to suffer badly against the Texans with this (and he already was with JJ Watt out and Marcus Cannon in the line up).

I don't like where this season is going at all with injuries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    Fantasy is killing me... ...I think I might call it after this season.
    I say that every year, usually on the day of the draft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crap. Marcus Cannon has a concussion. That means a back up in at RT. Tom Brady is going to suffer badly against the Texans with this (and he already was with JJ Watt out and Marcus Cannon in the line up).

I don't like where this season is going at all with injuries.
    At least you might be getting Hightower back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, the Rams traded away their dinosaur-denier, but now they have a flat-earther in Sammy Watkins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    At least you might be getting Hightower back.
    Hightower, and Amendola, both practiced, so that's definitely good news since the Pats seem to be starved of healthy receivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Whats the point of Eli stinking and losing if gumboy isn't here to talk about his hall of fame future?
    Wasnt aware that every player ever maintains his peak for decades.

I have been summoned from my slumber by being mentioned. All is lost.

In all reality just kind of busy with life and work and moving out of state. Quit playing wow so i only hop over here infrequently.

Eli still going to hof

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Giants almost fumbled touchdown on their drive, went 3 and out with a terrible punt and lions just pushed for a TD.

- - - Updated - - -

This games a comedy.

- - - Updated - - -

Giants Oline might actually be worse than Seattles.
    Giants offensive line is absolutely terrible. But it's all elis fault for some reason...
    You're a towel.