Page 26 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Sure, here you go: Link. It's pretty universal for such things.
    Yeah and when you Google next Star Trek series, you get shit about Discovery... And when you Google next Star Trek series after Discovery, you get shit about Discovery...

So are you going to link the source of your claim or are you full of shit?

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yeah and when you Google next Star Trek series, you get shit about Discovery... And when you Google next Star Trek series after Discovery, you get shit about Discovery...

Nah, if after 19 years of its existence you can't figure out how to use Google, I'm not going to help you. You can continue to live in your self-inflicted ignorance.

Fun fact! Just searched again and found it on the first result. Only took five words, too. Amazing!

Let's post constructively and avoid trolling other users.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2017-09-29 at 10:18 PM.

You must be wonderful. Instead of being helpful you're just acting like a jerk.

I assume you're referring to the Wrath of Khan series. Detailing what happened between Space Seed and Wrath of Khan. Given they were stuck on the planet the whole time I think this is a worse idea than Discovery by some margin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Nah, if after 19 years of its existence you can't figure out how to use Google, I'm not going to help you. You can continue to live in your self-inflicted ignorance.

Fun fact! Just searched again and found it on the first result. Only took five words, too. Amazing!
    Fun fact, if you say something you want people to believe, you post a source to back up your claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That's fair, not every person is the same even among Star Trek fans. It's ok to not like Discovery, even though it's just first two episodes, I would at least watch a full season to pass any judgment. I wasn't a fan of TNG after the pilot either, not to mention ENT, and I watched the entirety of VOY with that philosophy in mind even though I didn't become a fan of VOY in the end.

The key thing to note here. IF fans bury Discovery - there won't be anything star trek any time soon, but Discovery can turn out good or lead a way for better shows. So if you love star trek you better watch it!

There are plenty of male names used for females in real life, like: Alex, Max. It is not surprising to have female Michael in the future, especially in Star Trek. Yeah, it's odd but it's consistent with the universe of Star Trek.
    No, just no. That is nonsense. I would rather not have another series than more of the crap that has been coming out continues to come out and that is exactly what will happen. You don't convince them to fix it or change it to something you would prefer by rewarding them for the crap you don't want.

As for names like Alex and Max yes they are used for both sexes, but that is because they are both short for the full names that have male/female versions Alexandra/Alexander and Maxine/Maxwell etc.. Michael isn't the short version of a name like Alex or Max is. If they wanted to use Michael they should have named the character Michaela. Its a very minor nitpick but it is a silly thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Fun fact, if you say something you want people to believe, you post a source to back up your claims.
    I'm going to need a source on this ^.........

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Alright, thanks!
    Also speaking of TNG, this was just posted the other day:

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

It is hard finding anything from pre-release of the series right now for whatever reason. That being said there were a lot of rumors running around about CBS being particularly nervous about Discovery and possibly already cancelling it for a new Nicholas Meyer's series. Meyers' was one of the producers of Discovery and wrote I think the second episode but has moved onto another project already. With all the delays and grumbling about Discovery I'm sure CBS was concerned, but who knows where things end up. I for one find the show to be terrible, but that is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    No, just no. That is nonsense. I would rather not have another series than more of the crap that has been coming out continues to come out and that is exactly what will happen. You don't convince them to fix it or change it to something you would prefer by rewarding them for the crap you don't want.
    I didn't see Enterprise until DVD if I recall. Not terrible other than the canon changes. It answered some interesting questions about creation of the federation and I particularly liked the explanation for why Klingons changed appearance.

No need for another pre-TOS show and paying for something you don't want just because it has a brand you like on it is dumb.

The new films were action flicks with a ST logo on them, they weren't ST films. Did like Karl Urban as McCoy though. (disliked Spock the most, probably as he seemed the most different to me). And this looks in that vein. I can give a pass on the phaser effects as it's reasonable to think the tech was different and will change over the 10 years (and I'm not going to make a big deal over the sets looking more advanced than TOS as that just because we've better effects now to allow that). The long distance appearance of a lot of the battle is another matter. Even in DS9 with large battles everything looked clearer (oh that pixel just fired at that other pixel, exaggerated I know)

I think, like the new films, if it had been a scifi series without ST branding it would have been fine. Putting ST branding on it gives an expectation that it will feel like ST. I think the action fans they're trying to pull in won't be the ones to go out an buy ST stuff(books, DVDs etc) so long term this may be a bad commercial decision. I can't even remember if Enterprise was on terrestrial TV in the UK which certainly wouldn't help at that time. Bit different now but I know I wouldn't pay a subscription channel for one show)
    Last edited by Jodmos; 2017-09-29 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    I'm going to need a source on this ^.........
    Sure thing.

"The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.[2] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is commonly based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Sure thing.

"The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.[2] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is commonly based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
    It was a joke... also the scientific method has nothing to do with what you said, people believe stuff all the time with no facts/evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    It was a joke... also the scientific method has nothing to do with what you said, people believe stuff all the time with no facts/evidence.
    I know lol. It actually does though. I was responding to the guy claiming "They're *already working on a series to replace this train wreck*.". Which he provided no evidence for but claimed there was.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The key thing to note here. IF fans bury Discovery - there won't be anything star trek any time soon, but Discovery can turn out good or lead a way for better shows. So if you love star trek you better watch it!
    Watching and paying to watch Discovery will just encourage them to make more shows like Discovery. As it is, I suspect the "JJ-ness" of Discovery was influenced by the fact that the JJ Trek movies, despite what some of us think of them, were reasonably popular and successful.

At least as it stand right now, I'm not sure I would want more shows like Discovery, especially if paying for Discovery is what it took. As bummed as I would be about Star Trek as a whole being "buried" by CBS as a result, I've survived this many years without any new Star Trek, and I suspect I can go on living without it as well. It helps that there will likely always be a means of watching the original Star Trek series, and at least for the moment, there's also stuff like Star Trek Online which, for all its own myriad problems, still usually "feels" more like classic Star Trek than the JJ movies or Discovery.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jodmos View Post
    I didn't see Enterprise until DVD if I recall. Not terrible other than the canon changes. It answered some interesting questions about creation of the federation and I particularly liked the explanation for why Klingons changed appearance.

No need for another pre-TOS show and paying for something you don't want just because it has a brand you like on it is dumb.

The new films were action flicks with a ST logo on them, they weren't ST films. Did like Karl Urban as McCoy though. (disliked Spock the most, probably as he seemed the most different to me). And this looks in that vein. I can give a pass on the phaser effects as it's reasonable to think the tech was different and will change over the 10 years (and I'm not going to make a big deal over the sets looking more advanced than TOS as that just because we've better effects now to allow that). The long distance appearance of a lot of the battle is another matter. Even in DS9 with large battles everything looked clearer (oh that pixel just fired at that other pixel, exaggerated I know)

I think, like the new films, if it had been a scifi series without ST branding it would have been fine. Putting ST branding on it gives an expectation that it will feel like ST. I think the action fans they're trying to pull in won't be the ones to go out an buy ST stuff(books, DVDs etc) so long term this may be a bad commercial decision. I can't even remember if Enterprise was on terrestrial TV in the UK which certainly wouldn't help at that time. Bit different now but I know I wouldn't pay a subscription channel for one show)
    Agreed. That pretty much sums up most of my feelings on all of this.

Just finished watching the first two episodes. Kind of mixed on the whole thing.

I grew up watching TOS VHS tapes because my family didn't have cable, interspersed between watching new episodes of TNG with the best antennae reception the late 80s could buy (tinfoil wrapped around the TV and nearby objects in creative ways). So Star Trek has been a pretty big deal for me for as long as I can remember.

Still, I don't really see the reason for a lot of the rabid hate, even if it's not my most favorite thing either. I like the idea of "dark" Trek and more adult themes - not only have we grown up since the 70s, 80s, 90s, but television has evolved. None of the previous Star Trek series as they were when they ran would likely last a single season today. They're just too goofy and weird by today's standards. That's a sad jab at my memories, but true nonetheless.

I also like the return to smaller cast focus, ala TOS. These other characters are neat side stories that sometimes come forward to push the narrative of the episode or the main character(s), but the focus remains primarily on Michael (and probably somewhat on Saru) to an extent. Although I suspect the next episodes will bring Discovery crew members to the spotlight, it's nice not having a 37 member cast to keep track of and care about.

On the other hand, I am so god damn sick of the "I am so broken but I am also the awesomest" character type. Every single god damn drama. The main character's family died, they had a shitty childhood, unbelievable hardship, blah blah blah, they're the ultimate underdog covered in a lifetime of shit and they still save the day all day long... but only while we endure flashbacks and whining about how shitty their life is every five seconds. God. Quit crying and tell me a fun story about space aliens.

The ties to Star Trek also feel pretty limited. Slapping familiar names and logos on things doesn't automatically make them those things. Even the new Star Trek movies carry more of the 'heart and soul' of Star Trek than this show seemed to; I will agree that it felt a lot like another sci-fi show just borrowed Star Trek branding.

But I mean, at the end of the day, it was still pretty entertaining. I have a few other annoyances, like the basic television trope of "everyone doing ridiculously stupid things in order to advance the story," but eh. It didn't feel like a waste of my time so there's that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    This is actually getting infuriating, how hard can it be for producers to do a modern Star Trek reboot that isn't all lense flare, cheesy looking metallic sets and Star Wars style laser battles. Give us back real phasers, photon torpedoes and shields. Give us some good looking Star Trek bridge sets like they used to have.

Give us some of that fucking TNG/Voy/DS9 goodness god damn it!

Or just let the damn franchise die and stop resurrecting it with producers who have clearly never watched 90's Trek and have no idea what makes it popular.
    Not much else to say. If everything they can do is pure garbage, it would be better to go entirely without new Trek than to shit over everything it represents.

Rant aside, Star Trek: Discovery looks like it will be a semi-interesting sci-fi fix for space nerds, but it most certainly is NOT a worthy Star Trek television successor. I wanted to like it I really did, but it's so cinematically inaccurate to it's predecessors it just triggers the hell out of the Trek fan in me.
    Being a lifetime space nerd myself I can't see how anyone would be interested in this shit in any way that could last. Not any true Trekkie anyway.

Another issue is that the showmakers themselves have openly revealed that their intention was indeed to delibrately desecrate the show with SJW bullshit, to annoy and insult people through it. That's not only against everything Star Trek stands for, but it's also not a very lasting foundation to write a good drama.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Another issue is that the showmakers themselves have openly revealed that their intention was indeed to delibrately desecrate the show with SJW bullshit, to annoy and insult people through it. That's not only against everything Star Trek stands for, but it's also not a very lasting foundation to write a good drama.
    TIL people will spill every bullshit just to hate on Discovery......

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Isn't it a CBS production? Netflix only airs it outside of the US where no CBS exists.

Also, source?
    Netflix paid for the show, they wanted to have it exclusive to them, as ST is a beg draw for Netflix. CBS said no to that but gave them worldwide rights sans US, where the came up with shitbs all access to sell US audiences ST. If NF doesnt pay for more seasons, its hard to say what the future of STD is. Now as for the rest of what dude was saying about no 2nd season and working on another, I cant say.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    TIL people will spill every bullshit just to hate on Discovery......
    Nah, they said so themselves; that Trump's campaign motivated them to insult everything that Trump supporters represent -- or rather, what your average leftist thinks they represent. You know the Klingons are intended to represent "white supremacists"? And they made them black, with thick lips, wide noses, and primitive howling... talk about irony there!

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Nah, they said so themselves; that Trump's campaign motivated them to insult everything that Trump supporters represent -- or rather, what your average leftist thinks they represent. You know the Klingons are intended to represent "white supremacists"? And they made them black, with thick lips, wide noses, and primitive howling... talk about irony there!
    Is this the part where I link the clip from The Outcast episode of TNG again? I've got news for you, buddy: Star Trek has been doing the social justice thing for 50 years now. It's not the creators of Discovery's fault that you're ignorant of that.