Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    ya I don't give a toss what culture or even my job says I should wear,
    So you walk around wearing a cable-knit sweater and no pants?
    You wear skirts and dresses on the regular, if you're a dude?
    You throw on a sheet and wear it as a toga to go grocery shopping?

In pretty much every single case where people say "I wear whatever I want", what they really mean is "I wear whatever I want within the accepted range my culture suggests is acceptable, which I've internalized so thoroughly I don't see it as restrictive any more."

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So you walk around wearing a cable-knit sweater and no pants?
    You wear skirts and dresses on the regular, if you're a dude?
    You throw on a sheet and wear it as a toga to go grocery shopping?

In pretty much every single case where people say "I wear whatever I want", what they really mean is "I wear whatever I want within the accepted range my culture suggests is acceptable, which I've internalized so thoroughly I don't see it as restrictive any more."
    None of theses things do what I want out of clothes, there's a reason I always buy in bulk and always get the same thing. I buy over long pants to keep the wind/open air off my legs and wear them in even 30+ weather as I'd rather be hot then have the wind on my legs. I buy cheap t shirts I like the feel of as sweaters are normally made out of a fabric I can't stand and even in -20 I'll wear only a t shirt under my coat. I wear the same thing no matter where I go or the weather as it's the only thing I like the feel of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    None of theses things do what I want out of clothes, there's a reason I always buy in bulk and always get the same thing. I buy over long pants to keep the wind/open air off my legs and wear them in even 30+ weather as I'd rather be hot then have the wind on my legs. I buy cheap t shirts I like the feel of as sweaters are normally made out of a fabric I can't stand and even in -20 I'll wear only a t shirt under my coat. I wear the same thing no matter where I go or the weather as it's the only thing I like the feel of.
    The point is that what you're comfortable with still lies within a particular set of cultural norms, which you've internalized and don't see as restrictive. Which isn't weird; most people do so.

But you're not wearing stuff that's completely outside those cultural norms. That's the point. Not recognizing those norms for what they are doesn't mean you're a free spirit, it just means you've internalized those norms and don't see them as restrictive any more.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The point is that what you're comfortable with still lies within a particular set of cultural norms, which you've internalized and don't see as restrictive. Which isn't weird; most people do so.

But you're not wearing stuff that's completely outside those cultural norms. That's the point. Not recognizing those norms for what they are doesn't mean you're a free spirit, it just means you've internalized those norms and don't see them as restrictive any more.
    It's really not culturally to wear a t shirt in frost bite warning weather or long pants in a heat warning even more so when I work out side for hours with no breaks. Wearing what i want is not dictated by wearing outlandish things sure what I wear might fall into what other poeple see is acceptable but that has no barring or influence on why I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageadon the Huntard View Post
    Just cuz she is fine with it and dont live with religous crazy parents, there is still alot of young girls in the west that have to live with that outdated belief that women is lesser than men, and the west should critic that not cheer it on cuz it's religous freedom, that very freedom is someone els prison...

But believe whatever you want, as long you dont harm others.
    What can you do though? Forcefully pull it off her head, or just ban the use of such religious headwear and thus exclude her from such events?

You can’t do anything. :/ It’s her choice to choose not to overthrow her religion and family which “opress” her.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No, it's not. I've met plenty of muslim women who wear a hijab without them or their family being fundamentalist.
    They didn't before the 70'ies when it was introduced by (an arguably fundamentalist organisation) Hamas :-)
    Now you can babble all you want. The headscarf and all forms of it are a fundamentalist sign, same goes for the cap nuns wear and a turban or kepple. They are fundamentalist in the sense that the people wearing them actually believe the crap that's in a book written by people too dumb to understand anything in this world. By extension, the people believing that shit are equally dumb.
    It is. A fundamentalist. Sign.
    There is no way around it.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/