Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Hahahahahaaha

People massively underestimate Australian players, they have amazing players, stupidly good, the top for some specs (feral and disc are the only 2 I know off the top of my head, I think mistweaver aswell, and I do know there's more, just can't recall.) It's just number issues, and not raiding as much, which is why you don't see them higher in raid races.

But only needing 5 people, who can put in the time and effort? Expect them to show up big,
    My point was more than the tournament setting itself was shit rather than the APAC players. It's literally just luck on seeding and hope you don't choke one your 1 chance.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

What an exciting tournament. Blood DKs, Guardian Druids, Holy Pallys, Resto Druids, Sub Rogues, Arms Warriors, BM Hunters, Balance Druids, and Affliction Locks. Zzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    My point was more than the tournament setting itself was shit rather than the APAC players. It's literally just luck on seeding and hope you don't choke one your 1 chance.
    There's definitely issues with how the system works for sure, but you were definitely shit talking Aus players and trying to use that to make a point :P

I do understand your point, and totally agree with it though, there needed to be a losers bracket, and a second stream running.

Like with LoL tournaments, 2 games run at once, the more popular team on the main stream (so like c9 or tsm always on first stream) and then the less popular on 2nd stream.

This way you could fit loser brackets in time wise, easily.

And I think that the region exclusive side of it should end after the invitationals, pick up however many from each region (reduce the amount from china and apac that go through, increase eu) then have mixed region games once you have 32 teams. Loser brackets, 2 streams running etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    What an exciting tournament. Blood DKs, Guardian Druids, Holy Pallys, Resto Druids, Sub Rogues, Arms Warriors, BM Hunters, Balance Druids, and Affliction Locks. Zzzzzzz
    Mate, you forgot MM hunters, Fire mage, Frost mage, Arcane mage, vengeance DH, havoc DH, prot warrior, brew monk, ww monk, feral druid etc.

I think nearly every spec got a showing in some place in the tournament.

I was expecting it to be like you implied (with the addition of MM hunter) but there were a lot of other specs in the quaters+ that showed. Not sure what the complaint is that you have, some specs will ALWAYS be stronger than others, but this showed that a lot were big contenders.

I mean come on mate, you missed specs that were shown in the semis and finals like MM, prot warrior and fire mage.

What other games/sports are you thinking of doing it another way? There’s so many different ways tournaments are held, and this one of single elimination is pretty common.

I mean come on mate, you missed specs that were shown in the semis and finals like MM, prot warrior and fire mage.
    Priests RIP except for Amanda! but seriously Monks, Priests can use some love.

Quote Originally Posted by Ningjinq View Post
    What other games/sports are you thinking of doing it another way? There’s so many different ways tournaments are held, and this one of single elimination is pretty common.
    IMO when you're trying to actually see who's the best team in the world, you need to turn the regionals into point based group stages where every team plays every other team, getting 1 point per win, and then the 2 teams with the most points at the end advance. Then the global brackets should have a losers bracket that you fall into once you're eliminated from the first games, allowing teams a second chance at climbing their way back up.

Single elimination best of 3's are just not good enough when you're playing entire dungeons and things can go tits up at a moments notice. Also the fact that some teams didn't even play some of the other teams in their regionals at all is really dumb.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Ningjinq View Post
    CSGO, LoL, Dota just off the top of my head.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mechos View Post
    Priests RIP except for Amanda! but seriously Monks, Priests can use some love.
    We saw disc/holy didn't we at some point? Not shadow, and we saw ww, mw and brm monks at some point.

For sure would have been nice to see more, i'd like to see a mw buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    We saw disc/holy didn't we at some point? Not shadow, and we saw ww, mw and brm monks at some point.

For sure would have been nice to see more, i'd like to see a mw buff.
    Yes just one priest in entire tourney or actually even if you see Mythic leader board you would see only one priest for 2-3 pages in Raiders.io and its Amanda the disc priest.

The third run's controversy is highly justified. Regardless wether they were able to release or not, fact is that they wiped on the second pack and that Honestly had a 25 seconds advantage starting from there alone.

The HoV restart would've been fair if FM recieved a 5 deaths penalty at the very start of the new HoV run. Honestly probably thought it didn't matter, but that HoV restart turned out to be the turning point.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    The third run's controversy is highly justified. Regardless wether they were able to release or not, fact is that they wiped on the second pack and that Honestly had a 25 seconds advantage starting from there alone.

The HoV restart would've been fair if FM recieved a 5 deaths penalty at the very start of the new HoV run. Honestly probably thought it didn't matter, but that HoV restart turned out to be the turning point.
    Except a 5 death penalty may not have been fair either since the first people who died couldn't release to get back and help (which they could have since it was at the start).

Quote Originally Posted by Greylan View Post
    Except a 5 death penalty may not have been fair either since the first people who died couldn't release to get back and help (which they could have since it was at the start).
    Then a 2 death penalty. Whatever penalty they'd apply, some form of it should've been applied.

IMO when you're trying to actually see who's the best team in the world, you need to turn the regionals into point based group stages where every team plays every other team, getting 1 point per win, and then the 2 teams with the most points at the end advance. Then the global brackets should have a losers bracket that you fall into once you're eliminated from the first games, allowing teams a second chance at climbing their way back up.

Single elimination best of 3's are just not good enough when you're playing entire dungeons and things can go tits up at a moments notice. Also the fact that some teams didn't even play some of the other teams in their regionals at all is really dumb.
    I can understand that but give it time. It's their first time for hosting a PvE tournament. It takes practice before you get like more ppl to commentate every game.
    If I were a commentator, I'd be quickly bored to commentate a double elimination tournament.
    They can probably make it work like the golden age of Starcraft 2, but I highly doubt it. It's nice from them to host a tournament like this, and I'm pretty sure we'll see at least another one.

Quote Originally Posted by mechos View Post
    Yes just one priest in entire tourney or actually even if you see Mythic leader board you would see only one priest for 2-3 pages in Raiders.io and its Amanda the disc priest.
    Hm? I thought Sups played disc in one of his games?

Deleted
    sups went 2-0 playing disc
    there was also a disc priest in china quals

disc is good, hpal and druid are just that much better.

Wow, Free Marsy actually won? I turned off the stream when they were wiping on the 2nd boss in EoA, thinking it was unfair to have them run in the finals with only 15 min rest after they took out raider.io while Honestly getting at least an hour break after their semi finals...

Didn't really expect them to win.

Congrats to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    Then a 2 death penalty. Whatever penalty they'd apply, some form of it should've been applied.
    Something like that would be fair. It was blizz's first tourney, they'll work out policies for issues like that. Really it would behoove them to be more responsive to bugs like that -- the can't release bug, the cages on MoS, people have reported those bugs for ages.

While it would be unfair to expect blizz to be able to predict and fix every bug that wiggles its way into the code, there's no excuses for their complacency in fixing these that they're well aware of.

Deleted
    It was pathetic, unprofessional, full of bugs. They should never organize such "competitive" events in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlmygod View Post
    It was pathetic, unprofessional, full of bugs. They should never organize such "competitive" events in the future.
    OR, here's a wild idea, they can use it as a learning experience, and do better next time.

Because surprise, it isn't 1 mistake and you can't do another tournament.

I think all in all this tournament for a first edition was fine. Sure some bugs happened and the structure could have been better. But they can learn alot from this edition. Just hope if they do a next one atleast the final 2 days will be live at Blizzcon. So you also can get some interviews with the teams, see them actually play, no possibility for outside communication to see where the other team is during the runs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    I think all in all this tournament for a first edition was fine. Sure some bugs happened and the structure could have been better. But they can learn alot from this edition. Just hope if they do a next one atleast the final 2 days will be live at Blizzcon. So you also can get some interviews with the teams, see them actually play, no possibility for outside communication to see where the other team is during the runs.
    I actually quite liked that they had access to how the other teams were doing. You could literally see them change tacs based on how far the other teams were.

Yes, there were a couple of bugs, but overall, I do think that it was a huge success for Blizzard and they will definitely do it again. They had like 55k viewers in the final. Don't think they ever had that many for any of their other streams (like pvp).