Deleted
    How envious even great Emperors from millennia ago would be when they saw the power one human nowadays can have.

And that human we talk about here used some relic considering what a single human is truly capable of - how godly must be the one in control of the nuclear weapons WHEN he uses that power!

I would imagine the moderators should be locking this thread or deleting posts and directing them to the gun control mega-thread.

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You are correct. But how do you propose licensing the hundreds of millions firearms already in circulation? And how do you enforce it? Besides, licensing firearms would not prevent this sort of tragedy. Same as licensing large trucks and vans in Europe did not stop their tragedies.
    Issue licenses just like you do for a car. If you're caught with a firearm and no license you pay a hell of a fine just like you do for driving without a license.

Add a written test to screen out some loonies and a safety test where they actually shoot a gun and must do so safely. This will screen out other loonies.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    I believe that the definition of terrorism includes a political/religious component, so if it was just a crazy guy killing people because he hates humans it wouldn't technically be terrorism.
    I believe the religious aspect is not there, except for when the religion is trying to force policy. Such as shooting up an abortion clinic.

But on topic: reports are that the suspect was found already shot to death when the room was breached. Anyone have better info? Suicide, shot by co-conspirator, shot in self-defense by potential victim? I don't like that last one, 30 stories up is a tough shot to make with a handgun, but I won't rule it out until I hear a better answer.

Forgive me for being insensitive but this kind of things is happening so often I seriously read it on the news and just scrolled to the next thing.

Republicans refuse to be anti-gun anything even mental insanity...so pretty much expect this to happen monthly / yearly /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Where are you going to run to in a multi-story home? What are you going to do with your kids, toss them out a window? Wife is too scared to jump, you leave her behind?

Even if the criminals arent armed, do you feel confident enough in your hand to hand combat that you would fight off an intruder? Is your spouse? Is your 50 year old neighbor? Not everyone is Chuck Norris material. So I would understand why someone would want to or even need to own a firearm for defense.
    Multi storey homes should have fire escapes, I would rather get out and call the police and avoid any conflict, I'm neither Chuck Norris or good with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I would imagine the moderators should be locking this thread or deleting posts and directing them to the gun control mega-thread.

Right?
    Honestly, they normally tend to try and warn people to get it back on track, first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    you said borders between countries where better at protecting against arms smuggling, well that's the border, it sure isn't protecting anything.
    No I said guns going from Indiana where they aren't as strictly prohibited into Chicago right next to it is easier than say if they were two different countries. But of course you missed that.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Las Vegas shooter, 64, was licensed pilot and hunting enthusiast with no criminal record who owned a $400,000 home in nearby retirement community

DailyMail which is rarely accurate but we'll see.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Can we condense this into an "daily shooting in the US" megathread? It's getting tiresome.
    Ohh, look at you, so edgy on the internet. 50 people dead but you're more worried about a megathread, got it bud.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear the little terrorist bitch killed himself. He didnt even have the balls to have a proper shoot out with the police. Fucking disgrace to the human species.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Well, what's the "within reason" part?
    Well, for example, cars. They are obviously dangerous, but contribute to the betterment of society. They should be regulated as to maximize their betterment and reduce, as much as possible, their danger. Enforcement is also an issue, these regulations must be enforceable. Regulating food on the individual level just isn't feasible, so regulating corporations that produce it would be easier.
    Eat yo vegetables

Jesus fucking Christ. That is horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    this is a terrorist attack bro
    Don't we need to find out the shooter's ethnicity and/or religion before we make that determination?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, how do you protect yourself when someone wants to hurt you, even if they don't have a gun. They may have a crow bar, or a bat. How does a woman or teenage protect themselves against a larger attacker who is armed with a weapon?

Running with a kid in your arms is slow. Homes have choke points, making them difficult to escape from depending on where the invaders are.
    Firstly, i do not think that everyone is out to get me, that is what i mean with the whole feeling like you need a weapon that is a big part of the problem.
    Secondly, what you are describing is an arms race, and no one but the arms manufacturer really wins in this situation. In countries like Germany or Belgium or the Netherlands they decided really not to play this game, and it worked out great. If you do not arm the woman or the teenager then their muggers or whatever won't feel the need to arm themselves as well.
    Lastly, gun control isn't as much for solving all gun crime or related crimes that go with it, its about harm reduction. Sure people still get mugged here, and sometimes even get hurt by the mugger. But they do not get shot over 10 bucks, and stabbing someone just isn't the same as shooting someone. It takes more effort and you have a good chance running away from it, that is not so much an option when guns are in play.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Issue licenses just like you do for a car. If you're caught with a firearm and no license you pay a hell of a fine just like you do for driving without a license.

Add a written test to screen out some loonies and a safety test where they actually shoot a gun and must do so safely. This will screen out other loonies.
    The problem is, there are too many firearms already out there to expect any realistic chance of enforcing it. With cars, we started doing that relatively early. But I do agree the punishment for committing crimes with firearms is too low. A safety test/course is a great idea when you purchase a firearm and so is licensing it at the time you buy one. Also no firearms should be allowed to be sold without a seller's license. But even that last idea, will be very hard to enforce.

the shooter shot himself before the cops got to him. he was on the 32 floor above shooting down at the crowd and by the way he got the automatic weapons illegal through criminal network.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

Right?
    Why are you concerned with what the moderators are doing?
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I hear the little terrorist bitch killed himself. He didnt even have the balls to have a proper shoot out with the police. Fucking disgrace to the human species.
    Mmmm, could they please kill themselves before the killing spree rather than after?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    All my neighbors are firearms owners, they run the full spectrum of careers, from Assistant DA to Transportation Manager for a huge chemical company. They are smart people who take firearms seriously. They all have young kids, and all have gun safes. I agree, the good gun owners are stereotyped by the few idiots. The ONLY issue I would have with mental evaluations, is that it isnt a science. Background checks are black & white, you either have a criminal record or you dont. Mental evaluations have a gray area. Is the person depressed or is it just because they are having a bad day because their dog died? Is the person psychotic or are they just a little on edge because someone cut them off and they nearly avoided an accident on the way to the appt?

Then, how often do you require mental evaluations? How is a therapist to evaluate a person if they have only just met? How are they to evaluate a person if they only meet once every few years? You also have the issue with agencies sharing data. The VT shooter had mental issues but was still allowed to purchase a firearm because the info was not shared.
    No a mental evaluation is definitely a science.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I believe the religious aspect is not there, except for when the religion is trying to force policy. Such as shooting up an abortion clinic.

But on topic: reports are that the suspect was found already shot to death when the room was breached. Anyone have better info? Suicide, shot by co-conspirator, shot in self-defense by potential victim? I don't like that last one, 30 stories up is a tough shot to make with a handgun, but I won't rule it out until I hear a better answer.
    Suicide, cops have already said. Suprised you didnt blame Russia 'im not ruling it out'