Switched to Hunter - In Need of Help

I've been raiding as a DH this whole expansion. My guild was in need of more ranged, and with how complete trash the DH tier is in Antorus, I eventually decided to level a hunter for my guild. I've been mainly playing MM since hitting 110 a couple of weeks ago, am currently 930 ilvl. I know MM has the current theoretical highest output of the three specs, but right now I am barely able to maintain 1-1.1 million ST with only the boots and BoE glove legendaries. Feels kind of bad being quite a bit lower after swapping from my DH, who I can consistently get 95%+ parses with.

A few questions I have - Should I be switching to BM for higher DPS until I get MM legendaries? Or would I be overall better off just permanently going BM? Also, as MM, is there a certain amount of crit I should be aiming for? Sitting at 30% crit, 11% haste, and 31% mastery right now. I have never played a hunter before now, and am not super familiar with the ins and outs of the class yet. Any help you guys have to offer would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Roship View Post
    I've been raiding as a DH this whole expansion. My guild was in need of more ranged, and with how complete trash the DH tier is in Antorus, I eventually decided to level a hunter for my guild. I've been mainly playing MM since hitting 110 a couple of weeks ago, am currently 930 ilvl. I know MM has the current theoretical highest output of the three specs, but right now I am barely able to maintain 1-1.1 million ST with only the boots and BoE glove legendaries. Feels kind of bad being quite a bit lower after swapping from my DH, who I can consistently get 95%+ parses with.

A few questions I have - Should I be switching to BM for higher DPS until I get MM legendaries? Or would I be overall better off just permanently going BM? Also, as MM, is there a certain amount of crit I should be aiming for? Sitting at 30% crit, 11% haste, and 31% mastery right now. I have never played a hunter before now, and am not super familiar with the ins and outs of the class yet. Any help you guys have to offer would be appreciated.
    IMO from reading this I would say that being 930 after 2 weeks and sitting at 1mil+ DPS is not bad, its good
    Before you panic to much, give it more time and make sure you sit at the best leggys + trinkets before you starting questioning yourself to much
    Stick with MM since u have the boots already IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont Just Don't save your time and find another class

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    IMO from reading this I would say that being 930 after 2 weeks and sitting at 1mil+ DPS is not bad, its good
    Before you panic to much, give it more time and make sure you sit at the best leggys + trinkets before you starting questioning yourself to much
    Stick with MM since u have the boots already IMO
    Right now I have a 915 Terror from Below, a 910 mastery stat stick w/ socket, and a 950 engine of eradication. Usually stick with the Engine/stat stick, so I'm fairly pleased with my trinkets. I have the legendary cloak, but I do less DPS with it than the BoE gloves, because of the gear I have to swap around. But anyway, thanks for the input!

Right now I have a 915 Terror from Below, a 910 mastery stat stick w/ socket, and a 950 engine of eradication. Usually stick with the Engine/stat stick, so I'm fairly pleased with my trinkets. I have the legendary cloak, but I do less DPS with it than the BoE gloves, because of the gear I have to swap around. But anyway, thanks for the input!
    I play BM myself but just IMO I belive all those trinkets are pretty shit for MM if im right, Moving to get the orbs is not good for MM because you have to stand still for aimed shot?
    Aim to get Sentinel and Arcano + Huntmaster ring leggy and see what happens

Well Mastery stat stick is fairly good. Of course Sentinel or Arcano would be better. But a 950 engine is 1423 mastery, and 8644 agi on proc. Generally only have to move 1-2 steps away to get the orbs, and they do not despawn super quickly, so they are easily obtainable while i am spamming arcane shot to build focus. Wherever that spreadsheet is for trinkets for MM, I believe Engine was 4th or 5th on the list for BiS.

This expansion is far from optimal for hunters. I do not know what exactly your guild expects from you, but as far as ranged classes go, hunters are a roller coaster, constantly jumping from decent to abysmal and back. If I were you, I would abandon this ship in favor of a traditionally strong end of expansion ranged class like a warlock or a mage, before you invest too much time in a hunter. Mage if you (or your group) want to cheese some mechanics, warlock for everything else (their self healing and survival is OP as hell if your healers are strained or a little undergeared).
    If you are dead set on a hunter though, the only advice would be to practice and do gear optimization. Hunters are not complex, but they require a certain rhythm that can only come from practice. Gear is self explanatory. Check Azor's guide for trinkets and sim yourself after any major gear upgrade.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2017-10-04 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    This expansion is far from optimal for hunters. I do not know what exactly your guild expects from you, but as far as ranged classes go, hunters are a roller coaster, constantly jumping from decent to abysmal and back.
    I don't think this expansion has been too bad; although I agree it's been far from optimal.
    Though while it's true that we've never really been the top class this expansion; we've pretty much always had a spec in the medium to higher end of the dps charts, which actually tends to be a decent position as you're less susceptible to nerfs. I'd argue we've at no point been abysmal.

For M+ we've also been one of the better dps classes to pick with 2 pretty viable specs (MM for high dps and BM for good dps + BL + combat rez)

I think the biggest problem has been that a lot of people shuffled their spec quite a bit going from EN+ToV (7.0) as MM, to NH as BM (7.1) and back to MM for ToS (7.2-now). Which this expansion has been pretty harsh for with the legendaries and artifacts.
    But more classes have faced that issue (e.g. mages).

I've been raiding as a DH this whole expansion. My guild was in need of more ranged, and with how complete trash the DH tier is in Antorus, I eventually decided to level a hunter for my guild.
    You do know that the bolded part is also the case with MM hunters right? The T21 bonuses are terrible beyond belief.

People seem to think hunters are in a bad position, and I get that. However, the class I switched from has been mid-bottom tier for ToS, and will be as well in Antorus; unless the demon hunter tier is changed drastically. Hunters are always mid-top in every raid in at least one of the specs. The point of the thread was not really to discuss why Hunter was not a good choice to reroll to.

You are honestly better off simming yourself to see where you sit in each spec. Also, go to the Hunter Discord. Lot of people there with great advice. Just don't ask a question and then argue with the person that answers. Instead, see if someone else argues with them and just learn from them.