Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Because they are casuals who quit the game regularly and then complain when, while they were unsubbed, something became unobtainable.

Easy way to fix these problems. Play the game.
    Its not a professional sport. You don't have to have freak DNA and train 8 hours a day to be good enough to get these rewards.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by V1ndictive View Post
    Translation: Give me everything on a silver plate, I don't want to play the video game.
    Not liking raiding = not wanting to play the game?

I'm not asking for it to be mailed to me for logging in I'm asking for it to still be around once the expansion ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Concequence View Post
    Or less rewarding, if you never obtain them. Or worse put in a TON of work, only to not make it until the week after they take away the reward.
    then you didnt put in enough work, simple

doing it after it's been trivialized doesnt mean you're worth the rewards

the only reason those rewards are worth anything, is because they dont become widespread easily obtainable meaningless shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    If one does not get the item the reward is zero. And most players will know they won't get the item, so the reward motivation from the item, for them, cannot exist.
    you dont see me complaining about not having an olympic gold medal despite not even trying to get it.

if you dont want it, then why care about not getting it?
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-10-05 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate Cheeks View Post
    Honorable mentions:

Scarab Lord
    High Warlord (60)
    Grand Crusader (Only wrath RF title I didn't get)
    TOGC Horse
    You know... The Scarab Lord thing, I really remember fondly when that stuff was happening, and I progressed REAAAALY far into it... but when the opening happened, there was that tiny window from when it started, I had zero chance of finishing it that quickly, I didnt have a huge guild, so finishing the events as the big guilds did them was hard... I really had to play a lot to always be on for it... And the few I missed, doomed me. I couldn't catch up. It was a really miserable feeling at the time. Pleading with people to help me finish a nearly impossible boss, so I could be there for the opening, and then when the war of the sands started, I was f*cked and I knew it. Just heart crushing... I enjoyed it for the most part, but I was pretty bummed. Watching them use the scepter... and I would never get to. Id have the damn components waiting around in my bank forever. I had 2 of the crystals... I only needed the damn Twilight Corrupter fight. Blows that was the hardest of all of them.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

Because you work to get them while you can, they get removed as they should, then they get added back later because Blizzard caves in. Why work to get that 2100 rating for the current season pvp shoulders (old, arbitrary example) when you know Blizzard will just let you buy it for basically nothing later. Why put in all that time to reclear a raid to get your whole raid team the end tier mount when you know three years down the road people who never even played the game will be able to farm it blindfolded.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    then you didnt put in enough work, simple

doing it after it's been trivialized doesnt mean you're worth the rewards
    I don't really care about Prestige. I care about completing things, and getting the things I personally enjoy, like the Grim Campfire, the Bone Fishing Pole... that sort of thing. I like to have all the fun Death Knight-like items... for me. For my own enjoyment, I could care less about having things others dont have... or do have... or anything about other players, or "worthiness".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by V1ndictive View Post
    99% of the goals in this game have always required time. Not skill. Time. Mythic raid mounts eventually become soloable to farm, and hell if you really care, you could get the gold for a boost.
    Isn't the topic in question here, that some rewards do not only take time, but also take obsession and dedication? ... If all rewards took time, then Everyone could eventually obtain everything, simply by having a long /played time. While the fact is there are rewards that are unobtainable now, even with infinite time, you will still never have those items.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I couldn't care less because I actually have a grasp on reality and worry about the things that matter, like education, income, safety and my kid going to college.

So I guess that there just isn't enough room left in my brain for insignificant, stupid shit like "OMG CASUAL SCRUBZ CAN HAS SAME VIDEO GAME THINGS I HAS? WTF TEH SKY IS FALLIN!!?!"
    I could also say:
    "OMG, it's a videogame, why do you care so much if you DON'T get a pretty dress in a videogame?"

It's a videogame, you shouldn't be losing your mind over a pair of pretty purple pants you can't get.

Exclusive rewards make epic quests of self improvement. They create memories, give immersion, give prestige, they make a great videogame out of it.

What does "getting the reward for free when the content is outdated" give to the game? Nothing.
    Great, you have the purple pants. Congratz.
    Was it an epic adventure of self improvement? Was it epic? Was it worth it?
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-10-05 at 11:30 PM.

I don't raid anymore so I'm not capable of getting them while current content.

Exclusivity for me was all ruined when they brought the friggin TBC blacksmithing weapon models back in MoP. Insult me all you wish. I was proud to have all the originals for transmog. If mine was taken away then I want everyone's taken!

I like em. Sucks when I miss out, but that's on me.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Concequence View Post
    I don't really care about Prestige. I care about completing things, and getting the things I personally enjoy, like the Grim Campfire, the Bone Fishing Pole... that sort of thing. I like to have all the fun Death Knight-like items... for me. For my own enjoyment, I could care less about having things others dont have... or do have... or anything about other players, or "worthiness".
    Very well said. I go after things that I want, because I want them. I don't care if something's rare or if every other player in the game has it, and it doesn't have a damn thing to do with 'oh now i has dis thing 2 show off 2 teh casuals n bads!'.

Some people place waaaaaaay too much stock and self-worth in their video game rewards.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Was it an epic adventure of self improvement?
    Yes. I improved my Transmog with matching purple pants.

Was it epic?
    Yeah, my Transmog looks awesome now.

Was it worth it?
    Yes, I completed my Transmog.

Do you feel better now?
    Yes, I completed my Transmog and have a character that is visually appealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    I don't raid anymore so I'm not capable of getting them while current content.

Exclusivity for me was all ruined when they brought the friggin TBC blacksmithing weapon models back in MoP. Insult me all you wish. I was proud to have all the originals for transmog. If mine was taken away then I want everyone's taken!
    I paid like $500 for my original blu-ray player, I want everyone to have to pay $500!

Except that isn't how life works. At all.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I could also say:
    "OMG, it's a videogame, why do you care so much if you DON'T get a pretty dress in a videogame?"

It's a videogame, you shouldn't be losing your mind over a pair of pretty purple pants you can't get.

Exclusive rewards make epic quests of self improvement. They create memories, give immersion, give prestige, they make a great videogame out of it.

What does "getting the reward for free when the content is outdated" give to the game? Nothing.
    Was it an epic adventure of self improvement? Was it epic? Was it worth it? Do you feel better now?
    I very much see both sides of this. I value the epic adventure of self improvement and that does very much have value to me.

But I can also see that getting those purple pants, might just be something a person wants, for themselves and no one else, outside the process of self improvement, there is also self gratification.

You can feel good by success, you can also feel good with immediate reward. Both provide the necessary chemicals for joy in the mind. There is something to be said about the value of memories. Beyond prestige, the memory of hard work, and reward can be a source of repeated joy. Remembering the struggle I went through to get shadowmourne is something I remember fondly, I feel good in that memory. So unalike quick gratification, there is a never ending supply of gratification that comes from a well earned memory.

Edit: Thinking about this more, that completed transmog, also provides a lesser endless supply of gratification. Like you might just be pleased you finished a thing you personally like. Like a transmog, or mount, and you see it daily, and you enjoy it.
    Last edited by Concequence; 2017-10-05 at 11:35 PM.

Deleted
    Because I use tmog, mounts and titles that suit my character, not because they are exclusive. I have plenty of unobtainable titles, but I'll never use them ever because they just don't fit my characters.

The game is simply too big to obtain everything if you have RL stuff to do besides WoW. Me for example, I hate the fact that PvP tmogs are exclusive, because I simply don't have time or will to be honest to do Rated PVP.

For example Demon Hunter Tier 21 Rated PvP version, which is basically a dream come true for Blood Elf Demon Hunters, but to get them, they have to do rated PvP ... I mean wtf? It's like there would be a player that loves to RP as his Blood Elf Demon Hunter, but to look the part, he has to do rated PvP? And then they wonder why people buy PvP boosts ... it's all Blizzard's fault.

If people want to do rated PvP, just do it and be happy doing it? Why do you need an exclusive unobtainable otherwise reward for it, Mythic raiders don't get it, why should you? Well, we all know that it's because WoW players don't really like rated pvp and Blizzard needs incentives for them to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could also say:

Was it an epic adventure of self improvement? Was it epic? Was it worth it?
    If you need pants in a video game to achieve a sense of self improvement and accomplishment, you probably have bigger issues than should be discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    you dont see me complaining about not having an olympic gold medal despite not even trying to get it.

if you dont want it, then why care about not getting it?
    As I said, it's the best case for the devs that most people don't care. It doesn't take many people caring negatively to make exclusive rewards an overall negative for player satisfaction.

Blizzard really REALLY needs to get away from their bias that "best player" means "best customer".
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    where am i thinking people did the mythic raids to get the better itens with better bonus to be stronger, but they only do that to get the pretty transmogs, lmao

Its a game, we all buy it, there is no need to remove things, its also unfair that people who come after the expansion never would have a chance to get the itens.

Farming old things is also one of the reasons who make people still playing

Deleted
    If you need pants in a video game to achieve a sense of self improvement and accomplishment, you probably have bigger issues than should be discussed here.
    What i know is that kids have all the time in the world to play.
    So let the kids get to experience epic adventures in a VIDEOGAME.

I am a complete casual now, i don't even do normal mode raids anymore, but would i be salty for not being able to get a pair of purple pants in a videogame? NEVER.

I don't care if i'm not able to get something in a videogame nor should any adult. BUT "exclusive rewards" create epic quests for the kids to have fun and feel good about themselves.
    Yes, videogames make kids feel good about themselves, i don't have that feeling anymore because im almost 30.
    But let a videogame BE a videogame.

For the kidz xD

It's rather funny to see people proclaim how they're "too much of an adult to care"... only to then fly off on a tirade on the subject.

The adult thing to do is realize that you can't and won't have everything, especially if you don't put in what's required to have the things you want. Be it in real life or just in a game.

I couldn't care less because I actually have a grasp on reality and worry about the things that matter, like education, income, safety and my kid going to college.

So I guess that there just isn't enough room left in my brain for insignificant, stupid shit like "OMG CASUAL SCRUBZ CAN HAS SAME VIDEO GAME THINGS I HAS? WTF TEH SKY IS FALLIN!!?!"

I was one of the very first people on my server to get my challenge artifact skin and I did so with a significantly lower-than-recommended ilevel. Now that people are doing it with 40+ ilevels more than I needed, do I get mad? Do I flail and cry and scream "they should have done it when it was HARD, like I did!" Nope, I don't, because I couldn't care less. It doesn't take away from my accomplishment, it doesn't make what I did any less awesome. I know what I did and I don't need to run around like some special snowflake-bitch lording what I have over other players' heads, nor do I take any satisfaction from the idea that stuff I have will be taken away so that other players can't get it later.

The opposite, in fact - I think that removing content of any kind is pretty damn stupid. And the only reason they do it is because of butthurt whine-asses that bitch about other players having the same things they have.
    You seem plenty passionate about it though, for someone with "not enough room left in his brain for insignificant, stupid shit"...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-10-05 at 11:52 PM.

Because I don't care to use a title, mount or transmog set as a basis to show off and feel better than other people...

And things being "time limited" is just a marketing trick to up the sales (or in wow case subs / participation). It's very common to make a "time limited promotion" and get people jump onto it and do some "impulse purchases", it's just fake way to up the desirability of the product. People go crazy over poop as long as it's "poop: limited edition".

Personally I prefer feats of skill to be rewarded with player power rather than cosmetics, due to frequent "catch ups" the gap of player power doesn't grow exponentially, but the active player who puts effort should be these 1 or 2 steps ahead, as long as he keeps putting the effort he keeps being ahead, so if he wants to stroke his ego, he needs to keep being active instead of referring to feats of days long gone.

Also player power rewards are measurable, gear has more stats / better stats etc. while cosmetics have no objective "x > y", so obviously we tread into murky waters of subjectivity like "is this toy or transmog a suitable reward for the amount of effort it requires"? As long as it's some fun side activity some people will just skip it as not worth it, but if it's a reward for some important activity there are immediately voices that x reward is underwhelming and not cool enough.

So it makes more sense that "prestigious" rewards are tied to player power - because the worth of them is limited to a specific time frame, but it's an objective improvement, while cosmetic rewards tied more to optional or non-time limited activities and exist more as a tool of self-expression rather than a tool of ego-stroking.