Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why does the LGBT community put straight-acting white gay males on a pedestal?

I find this highly hypocritical and slightly ironic that the LGBT community appears to worship the ground that straight-acting and predominately white gay males walk on. Being “straight-acting,” for a gay man at least, is directly related to how convincingly he is able to present traditionally masculine mannerisms. The term is so markedly offensive because its very existence insists that there is a particular, instantly identifiable manner of being gay (defined by effeminacy). And what’s more, those qualities are seen as patently unattractive, undesirable and wildly dangerous. Conversely, it then follows that there simultaneously exists a particular, instantly recognizable manner of being straight (defined by masculinity). And what’s more, those qualities are seen as incredibly attractive, desirable and wholly advantageous, enough so that gay people would try to “act” in that way.

So it's not surprise that the ideal body image in gay circles is that of a gay white man who doesn't act gay... Just google "DNA magazine sexiest man alive" and behold the hypocrisy of the LGBT community.

My question is why is a community that is fighting for equality and inclusion so elitist, and blatantly racist and homophobic?
    Last edited by Shinra1; 2017-10-07 at 12:46 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps you should ask them.

How does one "act" straight? It seems to me behaving like the image of a stereotypical gay person is acting and the alternative is just the natural way of being a man.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    what exactly is "straight acting"? Literally 1 out of the dozen or so Gay Men I know are over the top flamboyant. the rest you would literally never even know they like dudes in Bed.

Probably because they just act like normal people and don't feel the need to "act" gay?

10+ Year Old Account
    What?

I assume they, as you say, "champion" people that don't fit a "stereotypical" image to prove that gay people aren't all one stereotypical image. They aren't doing it to try and assert that the "less straight-appearing" gay men are somehow worse, they're doing so to show that you can't fit gay people- all gay people-into some sort of box. If you challenge someone's perception of what they assume a gay person is like, they'll assume less about the "ostensibly effeminate" gays you describe as well. In essence, combating the very thing you seem flustered about.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    How does one "act" straight? It seems to me behaving like the image of a stereotypical gay person is acting and the alternative is just the natural way of being a man.
    There is a long-ranging spectrum of being gay and being flamboyant is at one end while straight-passing gay males are on the other. You're right that most gay men fall somewhere in the middle but being straight-acting is not the identity of the majority of gay men in fact it's only few which get away with it and and these individuals are then celebrated and put on a pedestal of privilege within the wider oppressed LGBT community. I also find it completely offensive that you believe there is a 'natural way' of being a man.

Deleted
    Want an idea to succeed? market it as a product: social causes become accepted through commodification.
    "the LGBT community" is not a monolith either, so go buy some mirrors, brah.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-10-07 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    My question is why is a community that is fighting for equality and inclusion so elitist, and blatantly racist and homophobic?
    Sounds like some massive projection tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    It depends what kind of men the @OP likes I guess?

If most gay people like masculine ones, what's wrong with that?

If you like more feminine ones there are plenty of them out there. Just enjoy less competitors

Or more, not sure if feminine ones are the majority or not. Now that I think about it...

EDIT.

I didn't read the question.

Racist? Naah. Homophobic? Still nah.
    Give it time, let it sink in and in 50 years you will se black skinned asian descended guy with pink hair and probably some robotic thingies as sexiest man alive.
    Last edited by mmoc744b84bd73; 2017-10-07 at 12:53 PM.

Because liberals have an idealised version of what people should be, and if you don't fit that then you're problematic.

If you're a woman that's a stay at home mum and are happy then you're betraying the cause.

It's the same if a gay person hits too many stereotypes. It's not like a lot of these stereotypes came out of thin air, there's a whole range of people in the world and some are more "fabulous" than others.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2017-10-07 at 12:56 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Racism
    and Misogyny

/thread

P.s If you made a comment like Zork or Darth you are EXTREMELY homophobic and the answer to OP's question.

plenty of children act emotional, cry, scream, play with barbies, love pink, ect but we (sometimes literally) beat it out of them. taught to show no emotion but pride and anger. Boys arent allowed to cry, like feminine things act feminine. Just the other day a tv host talked about wanting people to not get murdered and some twit hazed him by going out of their way to make a sign saying he was overwhelmed by "estrogen"

the fact that you people see 'straight acting" as NATURAL shows how brainwashed you are. you've gotten to the point where you dont want to gesture with your hands, you are careful to make sure that any screams or shouts are baritone and masculine, you alter your position if you are 'standing" to 'gay'. and dont dare deny it, the idea of the 'limp wrist" is because thats a natural motion but of course a MAN keeps his hands to his side, keeps them in fists, or his pockets. because if you do stuff like gesture with your hands to much you are Acting like a woman.

and as we all know our society HATES women and hates men who are in any way womanly.

there are many 'straight acting" gay men however ONCE THEY FEEL SAFE ENOUGH IN THEIR LIFE TO NOT WORRY ABOUT BEING OUTED they start to act more natural and like ALL men (see many men flabbergasted because people thought they where gay because they acted 'a certain way') started doing 'gay' things because you stopped caring about if you seemed 'feminine' or 'gay'

but yes we live in a white supremacist society so 'white' men are the ideal as are white women you'll see the same everywhere
    and we hate femininity which is why only masculine (but not TO masculine) women are respected and feminine women and gay men are not or Feminine men in general
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default

There is so much wrong with the OP.

Gay community=/=LGBT community for one. These are extremely separate entities, which are often at odds with one another. The gay community largely does not like the LGBT community and does indeed have a lot of issues with anything that is slightly feminine. There's a lot of papers and studies done on this topic, so if this is not a troll post, try googling something like "misogyny in the gay community" or "gender in the gay community."

That said, it's no different in heteronormative culture when the sexiest woman alive is some boring generic blonde.

Interesting think piece on why Ray Ford was completely ignored by GLAAD for his role in Apt23.

http://blog.commarts.wisc.edu/2013/0...einvisibility/

"I think they're putting these guys on a pedestal because I can't comprehend that you don't have to act a certain way to be gay. So when I see some 'normal' dude and find out he's gay, it makes me uncomfortable."

Good luck with that, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Because liberals have an idealised version of what people should be, and if you don't fit that then you're problematic.

If you're a woman that's a stay at home mum and are happy then you're betraying the cause.

It's the same if a gay person hits too many stereotypes. It's not like a lot of these stereotypes came out of thin air, there's a whole range of people in the world and some are more "fabulous" than others.
    yea sorry but dont speak for gay ppl. you just sound like a bigot. No gay person except the homophobic ones cares about people fulfilling stereotypes. we just live in a society that values 'manly' men so naturally men who are gay are valued higher

whats galling about your reply is how OBVIOUS it is that this was created by straight people. Straight people beat the gay out of their kids and then the gay kids stop acting 'gay' and so now straight people are blaming homophobia on gay people. classic.
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default

You can, 90% of the time tell if someone is gay just by their voice. They need to let other man and woman know they're gay or risk offending someone with their behavior.

Their tone of voice and mannerism is a good way to prevent such situations..

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I find this highly hypocritical and slightly ironic that the LGBT community appears to worship the ground that straight-acting and predominately white gay males walk on. Being “straight-acting,” for a gay man at least, is directly related to how convincingly he is able to present traditionally masculine mannerisms. The term is so markedly offensive because its very existence insists that there is a particular, instantly identifiable manner of being gay (defined by effeminacy). And what’s more, those qualities are seen as patently unattractive, undesirable and wildly dangerous. Conversely, it then follows that there simultaneously exists a particular, instantly recognizable manner of being straight (defined by masculinity). And what’s more, those qualities are seen as incredibly attractive, desirable and wholly advantageous, enough so that gay people would try to “act” in that way.

So it's not surprise that the ideal body image in gay circles is that of a gay white man who doesn't act gay... Just google "DNA magazine sexiest man alive" and behold the hypocrisy of the LGBT community.

wow geeze i just started with a reply based on your title and didnt realize how disgusting your OP was.

as i said in my other reply Its racism and misogyny but you seemed to be focused on the misogny aspect. so let me tell you that its probably people like you that are at fault.

Society is literally run by straight people, so many of them WIDELY homophobic. Its straight people who freak out when their son plays with a barbie, its straight society that freaks out when a girl is to aggressive, its straight society that gets offended when a woman speaks out, its straight society that gets angry when a man gets emotional (unless its anger.

Straight society teach each other and everyone that Men are good and women are bad, or rather men are superior and women 'have their place'. To straight society Women are emotional, flippant screaching passive homemakers. To straight society men are dominant aggressive, emotionless workers. You see this everywhere, stay at home dads, working moms, women who dont have children, men who dont try to get promotions, men in 'emotional' jobs, men who dont know how to fight or want to, women who dont do their makeup, all are ridiculed by straight society to varying degrees because straight society values men over women. And though 'women have their place" what TRUELY pisses them off is when one acts like the other. And So young gay people grow up in this same society and have the same values. So yes even in the gay community or...whatever "men acting like men" are seen as superior

And its all because of straight people and your obsession with turning 'men' into angry emotionless providers and women into silence submissive homemakers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    You can, 90% of the time tell if someone is gay just by their voice. They need to let other man and woman know they're gay or risk offending someone with their behavior.

Their tone of voice and mannerism is a good way to prevent such situations..
    No what you mean to say is "i am homophobic and i judge people based on arbirary tones in their voice"

Literally everyone i've ever come out to says they had no idea because i'm 'straight acting"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    As a gay man I am fairly masculine, I am only attracted to masculine gay men and almost all my gay friends are also masculine. The fact that you choose to identify as masculinity as straight or straight-acting is to me ridiculous.
    THe importance is what we are attracted to. The majority of gay men are attracted to masculinity so why is it peculiar that we prefer it?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean is it peculiar? Male homosexuality is about attaction to males after all.
    men arent intrinsically masculine. hence ...reality

Quote Originally Posted by tristannarutofan View Post

men arent intrinsically masculine. hence ...reality
    I think... a word isn't being used accurately in this statement... maybe 2.

edit:

I forget that this is the current year and subjects concerning sex and gender and the whole mess around it gets blurrier and blurrier with each new group of teachers and people chasing headlines.

p.s. and dont anyone be trying to be like "oh well i'm gay and i see nothing wrong with it"

because statistically its probably a straighty lying to make a point, or more likely here since its a forum where you can get a 'reputation' that person is just a homophobic misogynist. every dating site has tons of "no fats no fems no asians" or whatever. being gay doesnt magically stop you from being a bigot. thats why we have white gay voters for trump. because their racism was stronger than their fear of homophobia in the conservative community.

being one demographic doesnt keep you from being prejudiced against other demographics or even your own.

Quote Originally Posted by tristannarutofan View Post
    yea sorry but dont speak for gay ppl. you just sound like a bigot. No gay person except the homophobic ones cares about people fulfilling stereotypes. .
    I wasn't talking for or about gay men. I was talking about the liberal media and what stereotypes and roles of genders/races/sexualities it is or isn't ok with.