Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Millennials who move home claim they’re ‘chasing the dream’

One in five millennials has moved home to “chase the dream” or win the love of their life, according to new research.

A study into the life decisions of 2,000 millennials profiled the most common reasons behind a person chasing a big move or fresh start and found a fifth have upped roots and gambled on getting the ultimate job or winning over the love of their life.

The “moving millennials” study found that landing a new job, simply looking for a fresh start and going after that one big dream are the top three life situations that lead young Americans to up sticks and leave everything behind.

The research, which was commissioned by StorageMart, found six in ten first struck out on their own by moving out of their home city, and about a quarter (24 percent) moved out of their state.

A bold four percent made their first big move by moving out of the country.

In fact, millennials are not afraid to venture far away from home for the chance of a better life — the average respondent polled had moved more than 500 miles away from home at some point.

While more than a fifth (21 percent) of under 35’s had moved over a thousand miles in search of a new home or opportunity.

Millennials first move out on their own by the age of 22 — most voluntarily.

One in seven, however, have moved because of situations beyond their control including financial difficulties and getting the dreaded eviction notice.

It typically takes 11 weeks to move after a relationship starts to turn dull or sour, while a partner finding a new job will lead to a new home after 13 weeks.

Pet owners who were no longer allowed to have their pets on the premises found themselves moving after 11 weeks.

Those who have fallen on difficult times find themselves finding a new home after 12 weeks.

Unfortunately, for nearly one in four (24 percent) of the millennials polled their first big move was a downgrade from their previous living conditions.

Eight in ten of those who downgraded opted for a less spacious home when moving out on their own, and 43 gave up having a backyard.

Many respondents reported a positive experience after their big move. In fact, 52 percent said their first big move was an upgrade from their previous living conditions.

Having a more spacious home and better neighborhood are the top two greatest upgrades experienced after the first big move.

Cris Burnam, president at StorageMart said: “We see millennials come visit us at StorageMart from far and near as they’re setting out on a new journey – they’re adventurers.”

“It’s no surprise that 21 percent have moved over a thousand miles, or that they’re so resilient when life throws a curve ball their way.”

“That’s why StorageMart provides self-storage units for rent on a month-to-month basis. Millennials who are downsizing, rightsizing, or packing away their home to go out and do something big need to find a clean storage space for their stuff to call home.”

Top ten reasons millennials move home

Found a new job
    For a fresh start
    Chasing dream
    Got accepted to college
    Got married
    Upgrading to a larger home
    Change of scenery
    To be closer to my significant other
    Constant disputes for neighbors
    Getting away from a failing relationship
    This is too bad. They should learn how to "chase the dream," while living on their own like their parents did. I'm not sure what we can do about it though since there are so many millennials doing it.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/29/millenn...ing-the-dream/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I wonder how many boomeranged.

I once had the chance to move away from “home” when I was in my mid-thirties. It was quite a lucrative job offer but I refused. And have gotten offers to move out of state recently. Being close to my family means more than money ever could. Family is everything to me.

Young people moving. This has never happened before, let's write about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So we agree that we tax a certain population too much and a certain too little what causes that the cost of living and building a life is more expensive for this generation.

If this is new to people, you're pretty late to the party. Like more than 10 years late.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    This is too bad. They should learn how to "chase the dream," while living on their own like their parents did. I'm not sure what we can do about it though since there are so many millennials doing it.

It has nothing to do with being a millennial. It has everything to do with the state of the US economy.

I graduated college nearly 3 decades ago. I was able to pay for that experience (at a good quality university) working part time. I got my BSEE with no debt whatsoever paying somewhere in the range of about $6k in tuition and books for all 4 years.

Now, the cheapest equivalent education my children got (and in the process of getting), including going to the same school, costs over $45k in tuition and books for 4 years. Minimum wage is not even 3x higher since then, not the nearly 8x higher that would be needed to be equivalent to my college years.

And the same is largely true with housing and salaries. My same entry level engineering job at the same company is about 2.5x what I started out at. But housing is roughly 4x more.

Remember that I left college without debt, able to pay for it with a part-time job. How do you expect people making about 2.5x more than when I was young get housing that is 4x more with literally tens of thousands of dollars of debt that has to be paid back? Of course they are moving back in with their parents. And, if that was the state of the economy when I graduated, I would probably have had too as well.

We, as a country, have stopped providing a solid stepping stone for the poor and middle classes to get an opportunity to be successful. We, as a country, have been fooled by this stupid notion that letting the rich take ever increasing shares would somehow make everyone better. And now, many people are being fooled by stupid notions that millennials are somehow lazy because they couldn't do what we did while completely ignoring the context that produces this effect.

7+ Year Old Account

I call bullshit, how can you "chase the dream" while living with your parents? Seems like a bad excuse to be lazy.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused.

They ARE 'chasing the dream' and living on their own. That's... That's exactly what the article says.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you not read or something?

Deleted
    Milennials found something they think they are special in again I guess?

I bet the number and ratio of poor people in third world countries that move away are way higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    I call bullshit, how can you "chase the dream" while living with your parents? Seems like a bad excuse to be lazy.
    I guess they are saying they are saving that money that would've went for rent or mortgage to follow that "dream".

10+ Year Old Account
    Just so I'm clear...

The OP is confusing the article, thinking it's "Millennials are moving back in with their parents, to Chase The Dream" when the article is actually about "Millennials are downgrading or making housing sacrifices due to finances but calling it Chasing the Dream" and has nothing to do with moving back in with their parents.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Id love to move out but alas that pesky money thing....

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving back home because the economy is shit and they're broke as fuck is not one of the top ten reasons? I'm 26, have a full time job and I still live with my parents because apartments are expensive as fuck. I'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel if I got a place of my own right now. $900 a month + $260 car bill + around $150 for groceries, then gas for my car, and my phone bill. If I'm lucky I'll have enough to spend for myself or for whatever else I need. I'd be living on my paychecks and that's not the kind of life I want to live.

Thankfully I have supportive parents who are ok with me living at home as long as I pull my own weight around the house. It's not like I don't want to move out it's just that I can't. I WANT a place of my own. I WANT to finally start my independent life but with the job I have now I can't and the only way I would leave this job (and I really do want to) is if I find a job that is equal pay or more. Unfortunately I don't have any sort of college degree so that's going to be almost impossible for me.

Which brings up another point. College loans. It's so fucked up because it's like to make more money so you can live a better life (or an independent life in my case) you have to put yourself into debt so you can get a piece of paper telling people you can do a thing well which allows you to get a better paying job that you're not even guaranteed. So now not only the apartment and car expenses and everything else but now you have a $20,000-$50,000 debt to pay off on top of that. So you'd be piled under all this debt and you'd still be working at a grocery store type job getting $10-$12 an hour. I'd be right back where I started if not a step back.

Then people wonder why some millennials are still living at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    Then people wonder why some millennials are still living at home.
    While true, for sure... That's.. not really what the article was about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read articles before posting them, sheesh.

Deleted
    i chase the dream of young blondes , many here and soon i will have a big muslim family with them

Top ten reasons I moved from home and then country:

Found a new job TICK
    For a fresh start TICK
    Chasing dream
    Got accepted to college TICK
    Got married
    Upgrading to a larger home TICK
    Change of scenery TICK
    To be closer to my significant other
    Constant disputes for neighbors
    Getting away from a failing relationship TICK
    Annoying as fuck parents TICK

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I wonder how many boomeranged.

I once had the chance to move away from “home” when I was in my mid-thirties. It was quite a lucrative job offer but I refused. And have gotten offers to move out of state recently. Being close to my family means more than money ever could. Family is everything to me.
    Easy there, Toretto

'One in five millenials'

'A study into the life decisions of 2,000 millennials'

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Easy there, Toretto
    Familia es todos, mi amigo.
    For those without a close knit family we don’t expect you to understand.