Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    cramming people in a metal tube attached to wings filled to the brim with highly explosive fuel.
    That tube is controllable and can be easily evacuated... Unlike a rocket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    That tube is controllable and can be easily evacuated... Unlike a rocket.
    1. Rockets are also controllable.

2. An airplane is easily evacuated in mid-air?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Would you not need some kind of training to handle travelling in a rocket and going that high up? It doesn't seem like anyone would just be able to buy a ticket and board without any kind of prep. Kind of neat though. If it was implemented though, just setting up the launch sites in different destinations would take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Probably.

What sort of noise pollution these rockets produce btw? I've only ever seen videos of rocket launches so I have no idea. How close to cities can these things safely land/take off?
    Immense. You can hear it from miles away. ~200 decibals or 10000000 times louder than a rock concert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41441877

So Elon Musk revealed plans to use SpaceX's new Mars rocket, called BFR (Big Falcon Rocket) for transportation across Earth as well; allowing for trips anywhere on Earth in less than 60 minutes (most flights around 30 minutes, 50+ minute flights are to the literal opposite side of the planet). He claimed the cost per seat would be about the same as full fare economy in an aircraft.

Do you think this is a realistic goal? I don't doubt the flight times, but the cost per seat... Seems pretty crazy if it is actually that cheap.
    No doubt Musk will rely on a heavy does of that sweet sweet government money, like he does in every venture. He is the most subsidized human in history.

That said, this is a much smarter solution than the old Concord high speed jet, that could only break the sound barrier where there were not people below.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    No doubt Musk will rely on a heavy does of that sweet sweet government money, like he does in every venture.
    Apparently you are critical of SpaceX because they sell stuff to the government. How dare he not just give it to them for free, right?

Or maybe you confused SpaceX with ULA, which gets payments every year just for existing.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Apparently you are critical of SpaceX because they sell stuff to the government. How dare he not just give it to them for free, right?

Or maybe you confused SpaceX with ULA, which gets payments every year just for existing.
    I'm critical of a man that has never made a dime in his life (if you deduct subsidies), yet has billions. Yes, I think this is worthy of pointing out.

I'm critical of a man that has never made a dime in his life (if you deduct subsidies), yet has billions. Yes, I think this is worthy of pointing out.
    Paypal was driven by subsidies? Please stop lying.

And you think SpaceX is driven by subsidies. Gentle hint: when the government purchases a service, that isn't a subsidy.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well there's the issue of this not being green. It's fine for NASA to launch a rocket once in a while, but public transportation using rocketry will destroy the environment.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Well there's the issue of this not being green. It's fine for NASA to launch a rocket once in a while, but public transportation using rocketry will destroy the environment.
    The Raptor engine, and the method of synthesizing its fuel, will be CO2 neutral.

Paypal was driven by subsidies?
    Musk has nothing to do with PayPal. It was developed by Confinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Musk has nothing to do with PayPal. It was developed by Confinity.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal#Early_history

In March 2000, Confinity merged with X.com, an online banking company founded by Elon Musk.[17] Musk was optimistic about the future success of the money transfer business Confinity was developing.[18] Musk and then-president and CEO of X.com, Bill Harris, disagreed on this point and Harris left the company in May 2000.[18] In October of that year, Musk made the decision that X.com would terminate its other Internet banking operations and focus on the PayPal money service.[19] The X.com company was then renamed PayPal in 2001,[20] and expanded rapidly throughout the year until company executives decided to take PayPal public in 2002.[14][21] Paypal's IPO listed under the ticker PYPL at $13 per share and ended up generating over $61 million.[22]

Shortly after PayPal's IPO, the company was acquired by eBay in July 2002 for $1.5 billion, with a valuation of over $23 a share, or 77% above the IPO price.
    Why is it that you guys resort to such easily debunked lies when trying to smear Mr. Musk?

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    2. An airplane is easily evacuated in mid-air?
    Absolutely, but survival rate not so good.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...launch-prices/

Just a link huh? Can't articulate a position, I guess? No need, I know your politics Joe Skroeborough. They are whatever Mika tells you they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, how old are you? Do you have any idea why we even know Elons name? If you think SpaceX or Tesla is his first rodeo then I have some bad news for ya`.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I'm sorry, how old are you? Do you have any idea why we even know Elons name? If you think SpaceX or Tesla is his first rodeo then I have some bad news for ya`.
    Do the math. Look at the fortune. Deduct the subsidies. /shrug

Just a link huh? Can't articulate a position, I guess? No need, I know your politics Joe Skroeborough. They are whatever Mika tells you they are.
    Look man, it's not like that time I drew a map for you with magic markers.

Go read it. It's detailed. I can't reduce it into 4 colors and a picture for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Look man, it's not like that time I drew a map for you with magic markers.

Go read it. It's detailed. I can't reduce it into 4 colors and a picture for you.
    If all you got is memes and insults, you have become far less interesting to chat with. Pity.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal#Early_history

Why is it that you guys resort to such easily debunked lies when trying to smear Mr. Musk?
    Lol, people just believe what they want without even doing a lick of research before posting lies (I have no source for this).

- - - Updated - - -

Do the math. Look at the fortune. Deduct the subsidies. /shrug
    Or, in your case, ignore reality and only listen to what bolsters your echo chamber. Musk has been around, making billions, for awhile now. His wealth didn't come from subsidies.

What phase are we into re your posting? Is this P4 or P5?