Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Sorry self-righteous libs, looks like ol' Trump is gonna get another W at your expense. Money talks and the players of the NFL forgot who their core audience was.
    I don't think this war is over. Even the battle isn't. They just drew up the battle lines for the next one. So far, this is Goodell's opinion. Even if some or most of the owners are with him, it is not official until next week. And even then, it remains to be seen how the players react to owners and how the public reacts to the whole shindig.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Arguments that make no sense to me in this topic:

1) Kneeling/Sitting is disrespectful to the Flag. The Flag is merely a symbol that you grant power to. It is also disrespectful to the flag to wear it as clothes (even its appearance as clothes), use it to support a certain political movement or cause, hold the flag horizontal, leave the flag out in a storm to tatter, etc ... the people screaming about the "disrespect" by kneeling have zero problem with other disrespect to the flag ... ergo, the disrespect argument has no weight. You know those field sized flags held horizontal during the anthem ... also disrespectful.

2) The players are paid a lot of money. That doesn't work as it implies celebrities do not get to have opinions because they have a lot of money. Everyone has a right to protest in ways available for them.

3) It disrespect veterans. This just doesn't follow. There are veterans who support it saying it is disrespectful and who are against it but don't find it disrespectful. The veterans aren't united on it.

4) You can't protest at work. This isn't true ... you have limited protest at work. Some people can't but not all. For example, unless you have a strict uniform policy, there are ways to protest at work. For example, I have optional meetings that I am not required to attend or I could wear a specific color to protest at action. Some places where there is uniform, but allow buttons or jewelry there are ways to protest using those.

5) Black on black crime is worse than police killing blacks! This is pure red herring. No one ever justified the killing on black on black crime as a thug or criminal getting killed. No one says "should have just listened to the man with the gun." or any other justification of a cop killing a black person. There is no one voicing their opinion that black on black crime isn't a problem. This isn't true when a cop kills a black person. And on top of it all, I can argue that part of the issue is trying to improve black neighborhoods to combat that issue.

6) The NFL ratings are going down ... they have been for a while now. This isn't the cause. Players have been sitting for the anthem for YEARS and weren't required to be on the field until 2009.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Why are people fighting for a flag instead of fighting for equality?
    What do you think gives us the freedom to fight for equality?

I don't disagree that they should protest, they have that right. But they are choosing the wrong venue and the wrong way of protesting. Using the NA to protest is wrong no matter how you try to justify it. Stand in front of a mother and father of a dead soldier that fought for said freedom and tell them its justifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I don't think this war is over. Even the battle isn't. They just drew up the battle lines for the next one. So far, this is Goodell's opinion. Even if some or most of the owners are with him, it is not official until next week. And even then, it remains to be seen how the players react to owners and how the public reacts to the whole shindig.
    Goodell is pretty much universally disliked though, and this was such a blatantly cowardly move on his part that I don't think he can reasonably claim to speak with any authority on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Goodell is pretty much universally disliked though, and this was such a blatantly cowardly move on his part that I don't think he can reasonably claim to speak with any authority on this matter.
    My point precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    He's an American just like me, I may not like his opinion or the way he says something but he has every right to say it.
    Ahh yes, good old Donald, and his amazing respect for the flag. How dare those uppity NFL Players disrespect the flag like that. The shame. SAD.

Oh, by the way. Have you bought your certified authentic Trumpybear yet?

It even comes with an awesome American Flag blanket (like that is totally respectful and all). MAGA! (Trademark DONALD J. TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT, INC).

Cause yeah, like Trump's opinion on what makes for disrespect of the flag means more than a fart in the wind.......

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    It's about time NFL owners and leadership showed some balls.
    Egg shaped ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripwire View Post
    I watch the NFL to see football. The players represent their teams when theyre wearing the uniforms. Gotta abide by the rules or maybe go make your millions somewhere else if ya don’t like the rules. They’re not on a platform to express their beliefs, they’re paid professionals representing their teams and the league as a whole. Shut up and play football.
    Oh yeah. The rules. Like the all the rules and laws Donald Trump has broken and been breaking since he started his garbage campaign?

You can't have it just one fucking way when it comes to rules. if you want these athletes to play by them, try starting to get your god-king and his minions to start playing by them too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Ahh yes, good old Donald, and his amazing respect for the flag. How dare those uppity NFL Players disrespect the flag like that. The shame. SAD.

Oh, by the way. Have you bought your certified authentic Trumpybear yet?

It even comes with an awesome American Flag blanket (like that is totally respectful and all). MAGA! (Trademark DONALD J. TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT, INC).

Cause yeah, like Trump's opinion on what makes for disrespect of the flag means more than a fart in the wind.......
    SO MUCH RESPECT, THE RESPECT FOR THE FLAG IS PARAMOUNT.

No, in reality DJT, Aka 45 is nothing more than a peddler of stupidity willing to change the narrative on just about anything so it suits his viewpoints. And it doesn't matter if that's historical fact or current event.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    What do you think gives us the freedom to fight for equality?

I don't disagree that they should protest, they have that right. But they are choosing the wrong venue and the wrong way of protesting. Using the NA to protest is wrong no matter how you try to justify it. Stand in front of a mother and father of a dead soldier that fought for said freedom and tell them its justifiable.
    Tell that to all these people:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/veterans-kn...ry?id=50075609

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    No sane person sacrifices their life for a piece of cloth, no matter what pattern is printed on that cloth.
    you should go read some history.

Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    Oh yeah I was wondering when people would note this.

For those who prate about rights, heres one for you and thw NFL players to bear in mind.

You dont have a right to taxpayer money.
    You do realise that it is not the players that get subsidies it is NFL. Because if the subsidies should go away then they better go away for for All the other multibillion dollar companies in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goodell is a stooge paid by billionaires.

As if making Trump the enemy wasn't enough, now its going to become owners vs. players. Way to not make things divisive, Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Didn’t FOX say they wouldn’t be airing the National Anthem part anymore? I’m sure the players will stop doing it once they realize they're not getting attention anymore.
    Pretty sure they did. There are other channels that might be, but yeah. If they just stop filming them kneeling, or got benched by the coach, I wonder how fast they would go right back to standing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    did you watch the video? I am going to assume not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Sorry self-righteous libs, looks like ol' Trump is gonna get another W at your expense. Money talks and the players of the NFL forgot who their core audience was.
    Racists?

But I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

did you watch the video? I am going to assume not.
    Did you read the tweets? I am going to assume not.

As for the video...I'll admit I did not watch the entire thing until after you asked...but i just did and I didn't see anything on it that supports your case for "wrong venue, wrong way" though.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2017-10-11 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    i never understood that either
    I think it was a drive at 2008-2009 byt the US military for recruiting purposes. As in they will reach many young people through the games and what better way to salute the flag and sing the anthem. So people saying this is a "revered" custom is bullshitting so hard. Before 2008 players mostly was in the lockerrooms during the anthem.

And to the people that say well "they should stand up and out on the field when the Anthem is played" If that should be the case then i imagine som other workplaces should start aswell as not to offend or disrespect the flag/anthem before they start their workdays. Ofc this should all be done during the worktime.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Did you read the tweets? I am going to assume not.

As for the video...I'll admit I did not watch the entire thing until after you asked...but i just did and I didn't see anything on it that supports your case for "wrong venue, wrong way" though.
    Nor does it disclaim it, just because some uneducated veterans that are still alive agree with it on twitter. I did not say anywhere in my post that everyone agreed with me. The beauty of public forums is you can express your opinion.

I guess you base your opinions off tweets is what I am getting from this?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    If fascism comes, he added, it will not be identified with any “shirt” movement, nor with an “insignia,” but it will probably be “wrapped up in the American flag and heralded as a plea for liberty and preservation of the constitution.”

- James Waterman Wise Jr, The Christian Century (2/5/1936)

Nor does it disclaim it, just because some uneducated veterans that are still alive agree with it on twitter. I did not say anywhere in my post that everyone agreed with me. The beauty of public forums is you can express your opinion.
    These football players are expressing their opinions in a public forum as well...aren't they beautiful too?

Also, it's kind of funny that you assume those veterans are uneducated just because they don't agree with you. Now who is the one being disrespectful...
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2017-10-11 at 11:38 AM.