Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    those selfish fucking athletes, risking their careers just for some crappy cause.

Twats. Why aren't they out building walls or harassing hilary ?
    They weren't risking anything. They were 100% safe. Except for that one athlete that was fired because he wasn't good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Not all that long ago the players stayed in the locker room during the National Anthem. Then the government start giving the NFL money for "patriotic displays". And here we are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    True... but prior 2008, the players weren't there. It's the ppl in the stands that do it then. And you will not find a single game where ALL people stood. That never happened.
    I have been to NFL games post and prior to 2008

http://www.snopes.com/nfl-sideline-anthem/

What actually changed in 2009, according to NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, was that (due to network timing issues) players had previously remained in their locker rooms during the playing of the national anthem for primetime games. After 2009, players appeared in the sidelines for the anthem during primetime games, just as they had been doing all along for Sunday afternoon games. (The distinction often went unnoticed by viewers, as network telecasts frequently didn’t air the pre-game anthem ceremonies.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun fact... The civil rights protests in the past, incl. the MLK time protests, had approval ratings in the 10 and 20% ranges..
    This time it's nearly half the country. Means, never has there been so much support for the cause as now.
    Keep bitching about them protesting, because they're likely winning their battle, and the society will move along in the correct direction.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    I'd say it isn't just employment laws.
    In most developed nations there cannot be any laws and regulations that go against federal law, against constitutional law.
    And by constitutional law, the players have a right to express themselves the way they do. Punishing them for exercising their rights, can be problematic for the employer.
    I was under the impression that, unlike the EU, freedom of speech/expression could be curtailed by anyone except the government?

- - - Updated - - -

Fun fact... The civil rights protests in the past, incl. the MLK time protests, had approval ratings in the 10 and 20% ranges..
    This time it's nearly half the country. Means, never has there been so much support for the cause as now.
    Keep bitching about them protesting, because they're likely winning their battle, and the society will move along in the correct direction.
    Can you imagine some of the posts on here if MLK was a current activist?

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Standing for the National Anthem has been a thing for a lot longer than 2008.
    Not necessarily for NFL football players, nor were the anthems televised. This a paid manufactured crisis.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been to NFL games post and prior to 2008

http://www.snopes.com/nfl-sideline-anthem/
    See..
    How come the networks disrespected the ceremony?
    It's a bullshit publicity stunt. That's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Your not protesting racial injustice by kneeling or sitting for the nation anthem, your disrespecting the flag and those that fight for it.

- - - Updated - - -

if they acknowledge a problem then they have to start paying for it.
    Could not be more wrong. The flag represents this country which allows us to protest and express our freedom of speech without censorship. While you may not like it, it is not disrespect since the flag represents and protects the rights of anyone in our country to even desecrate the flag. Forcing people to stand for it and saying you cannot protest during the anthem goes against what the flag and this country represent.

Deleted
    Shame America doesn't have freedom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I was under the impression that, unlike the EU, freedom of speech/expression could be curtailed by anyone except the government?
    legally questionable, even in the US..
    Different example.. Employees disobeying company directives based on their religious beliefs.

Can you imagine some of the posts on here if MLK was a current activist?
    oh, yes I can lol

See..
    How come the networks disrespected the ceremony?
    It's a bullshit publicity stunt. That's all there is to it.
    How come no one calls out the camera men who are definitely not all standing and most of them not even looking at the flag? What about all the security there not facing the flag, or the concession guys? Where is the outrage over the hypocrisy over the joke of a man named Jerry Jones, who two weeks ago kneeled in unity with his team, who is now threatening to bench his players that do it again?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say it isn't just employment laws.
    In most developed nations there cannot be any laws and regulations that go against federal law, against constitutional law.
    And by constitutional law, the players have a right to express themselves the way they do. Punishing them for exercising their rights, can be problematic for the employer.
    If they want to curtail it they need to have it in their CBA like the NBA does. The players in the NBA have to stand as part of their contracts.

I do love the foolishness of all the people who sit at home on their fat asses, whining when someone else doesn't stand for the Anthem. Please, the hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I love how some people argue that people are disrespecting the flag and the people who 'fought' for it. Using the same logic, shouldn't those same people be disgusted by the flag, considering how the US came to be? Ironic, really.

I'll never understand the US patriotism. I'll keep finding it moronic.
    I then advise you to go out and live in the middle of some unexplored region of earth. There is not a single country on this planet that was formed any differently than the United States. At some point in history every existing nation moved in and conquered some other people to establish their own country or kingdom. Even the Indians who lived here routinely went to war against each other and the winner took the land of the looser, so the idea that the colonists who came to America were somehow worse than anyone else in humanity is a farse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    How come no one calls out the camera men who are definitely not all standing and most of them not even looking at the flag? What about all the security there not facing the flag, or the concession guys? Where is the outrage over the hypocrisy over the joke of a man named Jerry Jones, who two weeks ago kneeled in unity with his team, who is now threatening to bench his players that do it again?

- - - Updated - - -

If they want to curtail it they need to have it in their CBA like the NBA does. The players in the NBA have to stand as part of their contracts.
    I'd wager that the NBA players could challenge that contract portion.
    But, probably they don't want to go through the hassle of playing hardball with the owners going through the courts and such.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I do love the foolishness of all the people who sit at home on their fat asses, whining when someone else doesn't stand for the Anthem. Please, the hypocrisy is overwhelming.
    You just won the interwebs

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Not necessarily for NFL football players, nor were the anthems televised. This a paid manufactured crisis.
    Yes, it has.

These are the top two videos I had in my results

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Your not protesting racial injustice by kneeling or sitting for the nation anthem, your disrespecting the flag and those that fight for it.

- - - Updated - - -

if they acknowledge a problem then they have to start paying for it.
    By that knowledge, you disrespected the flag by referring to it as MY flag.
    your disrespecting the flag
    your disrespecting the
    your disrespecting
    your

Are they doing it in "protest" or are they doing it because it is trendy. I would wager it is because of the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    It really is. How long I have been saying the MSM have many of you guys fooled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since the NFL is private company, I guess the players have no real choice.

NOw if it where Public High School and perhap seven college ... might have a different story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it has.

These are the top two videos I had in my results
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqRGMmpm4rU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4SVq2UGEvg
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    There was no binding rules. As you yourself acknowledged, on some days the teams remained in the locker rooms during the anthems.
    And the networks often never broadcasted them. It changed with that contract.
    When the DoD throws 15 million dollars at the NFL to promote the military during the opening ceremony, that's when things changed.
    And most dummies now confuse THAT with tradition.
    Traditionally the anthem is played, traditionally the flag is present.
    But, never has it been a MUST. That it became with the marketing contract.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Since the NFL is private company, I guess the players have no real choice.

NOw if it where Public High School and perhap seven college ... might have a different story.
    Well, they do have a choice, continue to protest, or even strike. They can put it in with their SBA when it comes up for renewal.

Jerry Jones said "we" won't play if a player disrespects the flag. If a single player does something he doesn't like, does that mean Jerry Jones will have his team forfeit the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing could have been a lot deescalated.. If Pence didn't leave, and instead went to the locker rooms and talked with the players.
    Imagine what example that would have set right there?