Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Shouldn't he be focused on the concussion problem instead of infringing on athlete's freedom of expression?
    Players have every right to protest on their own time and not when they are being paid to do a job. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to give their head a shake.

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caia View Post
    Players have every right to protest on their own time and not when they are being paid to do a job. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to give their head a shake.

They are doing their job. So what's the problem? I would venture to say quite a few you are posting on this site while you are at work. Pretty sure your job isn't paying you to post on MMO-Champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    They are doing their job. So what's the problem?
    He thinks forcing them to stand for the anthem is part of their job. It isn't to play football for 60 minutes. It isn't because the government is paying the NFL to force them to be out there.

No it's a piece of cloth and it's a song. What matters is what's happening in our society. The brutal injustices against certain groups. Maybe go make some friends with these people.
    Why do you think that cloth and song is repeatedly used and saluted?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Why do you think that cloth and song is repeatedly used and saluted?
    Nationalism.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    This flag worship is so bizarre to me. Stand, kneel, lie down, run at full speed while taking a shit, who cares?

All this "you must do X during national anthem" is, is a meaningless dick waving act for the pleasure of the people around you. That's all it is, achieving nothing, but boasting rights of how sizable your nationalistic dick truly is.

Quoting George Carlin: I leave symbols for the symbol-minded.

They are doing their job. So what's the problem? I would venture to say quite a few you are posting on this site while you are at work. Pretty sure your job isn't paying you to post on MMO-Champion.
    Sorry protest is not part of the job description. Now they are costing the company money and that needs to be addressed. He who pays the wages makes the rules.

Sorry protest is not part of the job description. Now they are costing the company money and that needs to be addressed. He who pays the wages makes the rules.

Except there are no rules, it just simply states they should. So are you going to continue to make up falsehoods?

Except there are no rules, it just simply states they should. So are you going to continue to make up falsehoods?
    Go ahead and start protesting at your place of employment and see how long you have a job. I'm sure you one of those people who think they are entitled to whatever they want. Guess what, you are not.

Shouldn't he be focused on the concussion problem instead of infringing on athlete's freedom of expression?
    Technically you have freedom of expression but as an employee of a corporation you HAVE to follow orders or you can just get fired.

Go ahead and start protesting at your place of employment and see how long you have a job. I'm sure you one of those people who think they are entitled to whatever they want. Guess what, you are not.

"You're fired!"

...."why boss???".....

"For peacefully protesting by kneeling.....before your job starts."

Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    "You're fired!"

...."why boss???".....

Ok.
    I bolded the key part for you. This is not before their job starts. They are required to be at the stadium several hours prior to kickoff time. They are "on the clock" at whatever that time is. Also by doing something in a work uniform, even if it was during their off hours, you are representing the company in your actions.

"You're fired!"

...."why boss???".....

Ok.
    One would think since they have the uniform on they are already “on the job”. Even when they are at practice they are “on the job”. Professional athletes don’t just work a few hours a week. It is also in their contract they have to represent the team in a decent manner.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    Technically you have freedom of expression but as an employee of a corporation you HAVE to follow orders or you can just get fired.
    Your boss is actually not allowed to just treat you like shit and fire you for made up reasons, but you would have to actually stand up for yourself and defend your rights as an employee rather than being so desperate to have a job you'll just lie down and eat whatever shit the boss feeds you.

"You're fired!"

...."why boss???".....

Ok.
    I have no idea why you'd think pregame routines aren't part of the job of an NFL player. That's a bizarre notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    I bolded the key part for you. This is not before their job starts. They are required to be at the stadium several hours prior to kickoff time. They are "on the clock" at whatever that time is. Also by doing something in a work uniform, even if it was during their off hours, you are representing the company in your actions.
    Semantics. They are measured on their ability and value as athletes when they're in a game, not before the game starts. Their protest doesn't affect or disrupt the game. Also name another non-military profession where you're forced to promote nationalism.....or else!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Your boss is actually not allowed to just treat you like shit and fire you for made up reasons, but you would have to actually stand up for yourself and defend your rights as an employee rather than being so desperate to have a job you'll just lie down and eat whatever shit the boss feeds you.
    This really depends on the job, the state it's in, and what the perceived offense is. In quite a few states, it's entirely legal for a corporation to part ways with an employee that's engaging in speech in the workplace that the company isn't all that keen on.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Many states are “at will” work places. And thanks to an over population of workers in America employers really do not have any issues finding employees. Employers can terminate employment for no reason or any reason at all if they choose to.
    Employers have the power, not employees. That is, unless you have a contract.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post

Nothing in their job description or contract, as nfl players work on contracts not at will employment, says they can't kneel during the anthem.

Semantics. They are measured on their ability and value as athletes when they're in a game, not before the game starts. Their protest doesn't affect or disrupt the game. Also name another non-military profession where you're forced to promote nationalism.....or else!!!
    Stating that marketing is part of the job of NFL players isn't "semantics", it's the core of the argument. Players are paid to create a product that's appealing to fans. Most of the time, that comes from ability or excitement on the field, but it's not the only duty they have as part of the job - this is pretty obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Employers can terminate employment for no reason or any reason at all if they choose to.
    Not quite - they can terminate employment for no reason, but not necessarily for any reason. Even in at-will states, there are a variety of for cause firings that aren't legal. To take the most extreme example, you can't fire someone for being too black.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Nothing in their job description or contract, as nfl players work on contracts not at will employment, says they can't kneel during the anthem.
    The NFL has a broad conduct policy that refers to "conduct detrimental to the league". That's a pretty broad phrasing that gives substantial discretion to the league in determining what's detrimental. It's entirely reasonable that owners and management would think that doing something that pisses off ~40-60% of their fan base is detrimental to the league.