Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question GTX 1070 Ti the best Price/Performance card?

Would the upcoming GTX 1070 Ti be the best Price/Performance card from nVidia?

http://wccftech.com/geforce-gtx-1070...ts-benchmarks/

What do you think?
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Deleted
    Between the geforce 10 series generation being ~18 months old and GPU prices still generally affected by mining, it's not a good time to buy unless you need a GPU now or don't care about cost.

Just looking at 1070, 1080 and 1070 Ti, Ti should have be the best bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Between the geforce 10 series generation being ~18 months old and GPU prices still generally affected by mining, it's not a good time to buy unless you need a GPU now or don't care about cost.

Just looking at 1070, 1080 and 1070 Ti, Ti should have be the best bang for the buck.
    So it would be better to wait for the next generation of nVidia cards?

Deleted
    Nobody - including me - has a crystal ball. But chances of getting the same performance for a better price within six months or so should be high.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    So it would be better to wait for the next generation of nVidia cards?
    If you feel like waiting for May or later, sure.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Miners rejoice.
    From all things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    If you feel like waiting for May or later, sure.
    Well, I currently have a GTX 970 and it's an ok card to me but you are always looking for something better.

And I bought it used for about €240 two years ago so I didn't spend a ridiculous amount of money on it.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-10-16 at 08:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends, actually lower tiers tend to be better price/performance ratios, 1070Ti should be great there though, but it remains to be seen what kind of real price it will fetch, it does not matter what MSRP it is supposed to go for, if it somehow ends up being optimal mining card it will skyrocket and it may be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It depends, actually lower tiers tend to be better price/performance ratios, 1070Ti should be great there though, but it remains to be seen what kind of real price it will fetch, it does not matter what MSRP it is supposed to go for, if it somehow ends up being optimal mining card it will skyrocket and it may be the case.
    It looks like the GTX 1070 Ti will be about 10% below the GTX 1080 performance-wise.

7+ Year Old Account
    It looks like the GTX 1070 Ti will be about 10% below the GTX 1080 performance-wise.
    Now, I don't know the supposed pricing on the 1070Ti, but there are some 1070's (non ti) that with the right overclock can reach almost 1080 level's. Some, like the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and Gaming Z, as well as the GeForce GTX 1070 OC blurs the line between the two pretty good. And I'm thinking the pricing is much lower. But of course it all depends on how well the 1070Ti does on price to performance, if it's priced agressively and can comfortably push above a 1080 on overclock, it might be worth to look into. However, some rumors were that the 1070Ti wouldn't have any overclock room and an unflashable bios.

But as it stands, I'd think a great 1070 aftermarket version, with a beefy overclock would be more interesting, pushing close, if not directly to a 1080 level. With outstanding 1080p performance, great 1440p performance, and pretty ok/good 4k performance.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

Quote Originally Posted by HasturKingInYellow View Post
    Now, I don't know the supposed pricing on the 1070Ti, but there are some 1070's (non ti) that with the right overclock can reach almost 1080 level's. Some, like the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and Gaming Z, as well as the GeForce GTX 1070 OC blurs the line between the two pretty good. And I'm thinking the pricing is much lower. But of course it all depends on how well the 1070Ti does on price to performance, if it's priced agressively and can comfortably push above a 1080 on overclock, it might be worth to look into. However, some rumors were that the 1070Ti wouldn't have any overclock room and an unflashable bios.

But as it stands, I'd think a great 1070 aftermarket version, with a beefy overclock would be more interesting, pushing close, if not directly to a 1080 level. With outstanding 1080p performance, great 1440p performance, and pretty ok/good 4k performance.
    Doesn't the warranty become invalid if you overclock?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody cares really, though it goes both ways, as one can overclock 1080 as well.

What? Lol, of course not.

I think it will be great as far as crypto mining goes. As for gaming maybe a 5-10% boost in performance but it will still lag behind the 1080 in that department. I know some people hate miners but just remember they are giving Nvidia and amd a run for their money and providing tons of R&D.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    What? Lol, of course not.
    No, that's actually true, but another thing is to go head to head with customers about such things, so it's not usually enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    No, that's actually true, but another thing is to go head to head with customers about such things, so it's not usually enforced.
    No, changing frequencies and voltage doesn't void warranty, but the possible damage from it does. These are kinda different things.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    No, changing frequencies and voltage doesn't void warranty, but the possible damage from it does. These are kinda different things.
    It's just semantics... if you overclock you risk damaging the things that you overclock.

It's just semantics... if you overclock you risk damaging the things that you overclock.
    Not really. Killing a video card by overclocking is not that easy. Even with huge voltage increases. You can also damage your videocard simply by placing it in PCI slot, doesn't mean that placing it there isn't a normal usage.

You can even switch BIOSes around as much as you want (given they're original and not custom ones) and you can even kill your videocard with a crappy PSU and still not void the warranty as long as you don't clearly break it in half on your knee.

If Nvidia wants to hurt AMD, and they really have the opportunity here, they should drop the 1070TI at the 1070 pricepoint and drop the 1070 down 50-60 bucks. From the specs its looking like it'll be as close to a 1080 as it can be without actually being one, main difference is the memory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    If Nvidia wants to hurt AMD, and they really have the opportunity here, they should drop the 1070TI at the 1070 pricepoint and drop the 1070 down 50-60 bucks. From the specs its looking like it'll be as close to a 1080 as it can be without actually being one, main difference is the memory.
    I don't think they care about "hurting" AMD, AMD is not even on their map at the moment. They basically just popped out 1070Ti to swat a fly and move on with their deep learning business full time.