Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Also won't drag this argument, because we won't agree, but there is no way anybody could convince me that liberals don't hold a deep hatred and contempt for America.
    I'll quote Al Franken on this since he summed up my feelings pretty well -

We [liberals] love America just as much as they [conservatives] do. But in a different way. You see, they love America like a 4-year-old loves his mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad and helping your loved one grow.

there is no way anybody could convince me that liberals don't hold a deep hatred and contempt for America.
    As long as you hold a deep hatred and contempt for liberals, instead of viewing them as fellow citizens that you happen to disagree with, you are right.

But let's be clear, this is entirely a failure of imagination on your part, and it has nothing to do with the actual level of patriotism among liberal Americans.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No one could ever agree with such a ridiculous statement - so how could you ever be convinced. The insane always think they are right.
    Not expecting you to be convinced, nor do I care. If you are consistently liberal or extremely liberal, I view you as a threat to the USA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    As long as you hold a deep hatred and contempt for liberals, instead of viewing them as fellow citizens that you happen to disagree with, you are right.

But let's be clear, this is entirely a failure of imagination on your part, and it has nothing to do with the actual level of patriotism among liberal Americans.
    Those same "patriots" are busy kneeling during the anthem and burning American flags.

As I said, they have a hatred for the country. It's not fair we are the greatest nation on the planet.

Respect for the military? I thought you were conservative? Shouldn't be a foreign concept to you.
    The President of the United States is a civilian. The Oval Office is the office of a civilian leader, not a military commander.

Commander in Chief is one of the President's functions. He is commander in Chief of the Military, not civilians... which means not you or me.

Being an actual conservative, I have actual respect for the lines the founders drew on the roles assigned to the President. Let's remember after all, they were uniformly suspicious of a standing national Army (not a Navy). And while the nature of the world, security and history have borne out both the necessity of one and how the uniquely professinal US armed forces are not worthy of suspicion, neverthless, the apporporiateness of those dividing lines is very clear.

And a military parade would be bad ass. Who wouldn't want to see a cool airshow or armored vehicles?
    You don't understand, or maybe you have a juvenile view of military power.

If you want to see "cool" and "bad ass" displays of military technology, go to an air show. Go to Fleet Week. They're all around. The Air Force and Navy are happy to do them. I've been to a few. They're amazing. But an air show is ultimately, just an airshow.

A military parade, like the kind North Korea, Russia and China have is not what you think, certainly not "bad ass", and fundamentally different than an Air Show or Fleet Week. The entire purpose of those kind of military parades, where tanks roll down through the capital square (Red Square, Tienanmen Square) is for the leadership of the country to show the Power of the State to the citizenry and not to foreign adversaries. It is not even a facile display of patriotism. It's a form of state intimidation. That is why both Russia and China roll "advanced" but typically non-functional to the keen eye, military hardware (I'm referring to the T-14 Armata and China's humongous and useless "digital camo"). It is to show the citizens of Russia "we're advanced and under the OUR LEADERSHIP, we're strong".

But it's also to say, in the form of columns of tanks and flyovers of bombers, "look at OUR might. Don't fuck with us". And that message isn't directly externally. It's directed internally. To the opponents of the regime. To the citizenry.

A military parade in the kind you imagine would be staggeringly un-American, which is why we've only ever done a couple of them, whereas China and Russia do them annually. The Armed Forces is sworn to defend the Constitution, not the President and not any Party. Our tax dollars go to building an Armed Forces that does exactly that. Who is this military parade for? To show tax payers what their money is getting them? They already can see it at Air shows, or in news releases, or by being informed on our national security. To show our foreign adversaries? The most potent aspects of American military power won't be on display - the secret vehicles we have a limited number of, the cyber weapons, and spy satellites that aren't talked about, our nuclear arsenal and the subs that carry much of them, and so forth. Our adversaries won't be "intimidated by our tanks".

The only purpose of a military parade is for the ruling "regime" to illustrate the power of the "regime" to the people of the country, in this case Trump to the American people. Or hell, ANY President to the American people. That is why they are un-American. Because he works for us. He is our servant.

As a conservative, yes, I grow concerned when the State attempts to burnish its might towards its own citizenry. Why aren't you?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not expecting you to be convinced, nor do I care. If you are consistently liberal or extremely liberal, I view you as a threat to the USA.
    Which is why you'll never, ever be taken seriously. No big loss, really - just another sad, disappointed MAGA! voter who isn't interested in facts or reasoning.

At this point it's also abundantly clear that you don't even know what it is you purport to hate actually represents. But I guess you don't care.
    Last edited by cubby; 2017-10-19 at 11:05 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

Those same "patriots" are busy kneeling during the anthem and burning American flags.

As I said, they have a hatred for the country. It's not fair we are the greatest nation on the planet.
    Those are some fine gymnastics you're doing there. Make sure you don't pull anything, back injuries are a bitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Those are some fine gymnastics you're doing there. Make sure you don't pull anything, back injuries are a bitch.
    Poor little kitty doesn't know the difference between patriotism and nationalism. Not much you can do to help him.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say for the moment that I agree - it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

How many of these "little" things should it take to make us concerned? He isn't presidential - by any measurable standard - (Teddy Roosevelt is a Vulcan diplomat compared to 45) - and continues to make these horrific mistakes, on a daily basis.

What will it take to make you concerned? If we're being objective here?
    Yep.

It's not this one thing.

It's this thing. And the other thing. And the thing before that. And the thing before that. And the thing before that. And the thing before that. And the thing he'll tweet tomorow. And the thing he'll say on Wednesday.

If it was one isolated incident, I could easily be like "eh, bad choice of words" and move on. But I can't because it's a freaking pattern that's been on going ever since the Orange Shitgibbon announced his run for President.
    Putin khuliyo

I'm liberal and I do neither of those.

It's you that's constructing a straw man in your mind of what it means to be a liberal. It's you that is so deeply in contempt of your fellow citizens that you can't even listen to reason. It's all on you, dude.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Sucks having to pay taxes for things you don't like huh?
    Sucks, but there's no avoiding that in a society.

- - - Updated - - -

Also won't drag this argument, because we won't agree, but there is no way anybody could convince me that liberals don't hold a deep hatred and contempt for America.
    And statements like this are why I have you on ignore, and why I wonder why I bother reading your posts every now and then.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, kneeling is a sign of obedience. To kneel before something, is to give it more respect, not less. While burning the flag, should be seen as far less offensive, than celebrating a flag that during its whole history was fighting to be excluded from America.

Bullshit... check this out... you hate America, because you ignore its greatness, to instead celebrate your independence from it.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Respect for the military?
    Hope none of those flags ever got captured kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Which is why you'll never, ever be taken seriously. No big loss, really - just another sad, disappointed MAGA! voter who isn't interested in facts or reasoning.

At this point it's also abundantly clear that you don't even know what it is you purport to hate actually represents. But I guess you don't care.
    Implying that liberals would take me seriously anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Hope none of those flags ever got captured kek.
    Good point. Has anyone tried telling Trump the British burned down the white house once? Can't see how he'd want to stay in such a disgraced place.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Next question:

Do you have contempt for a coder in California because he doesnt "work" as hard as a rancher from Texas?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Next question:

Do you have contempt for a coder in California because he doesnt "work" as hard as a rancher from Texas?
    Hard labor vs soft labor doesn't really bother me.

Texas guy likely has more similar values than a hyper-lefty in fruit loop land, but not fully since he is still probably a bit too country.

Hate to break it to you, but the America you think you're defending has been dead for a long time, and good riddance to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shkar View Post
    Good point. Has anyone tried telling Trump the British burned down the white house once? Can't see how he'd want to stay in such a disgraced place.
    Maybe they already did:

Trump: the White House is “a real dump”

According to reporting from Golf.com, Trump recently told members at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey, that he spends so little time in the White House because "That White House is a real dump.” The White House denies these claims.
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ite-house-dump
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Implying that liberals would take me seriously anyways.
    You just said liberals hate America, then complain about being taken seriously? Have you considered talking to them like they are just a random internet poster?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but the America you think you're defending has been dead for a long time, and good riddance to it.
    It never existed...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi