Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

Page 1 of 146
... LastLast

If they announce legacy servers at Blizzcon, would you play them?

Personally I love Legion, but let's face it, the game has become a lot more cookie cutter with each and every year...

A lot of people might scream "Rose tinted glasses", but I've played on vanilla private servers, and there is enjoyment to be found in going back to the basics. Back when you didn't just rush through the levelling, back when the levelling content was one of the main focuses of the game, and not just a hurdle you have to go through to get to max level. I miss the old zones, I feel like Cataclysm destroyed (literally) a lot of them. Stranglethorn Vale and The Barrens were incredible because they were fucking huge. Duskwood was genuinely scary because if you ventured too far into the woods, you would find a gigantic dragon. Even walking along the path you would have to be careful, before you know it a huge lumbering abomination was chasing you down... Certain quests required you to actually make groups. Not quickly refresh the group finder and join a random auto invite group, but actual people you interacted with.

I'm not saying it should replace or stand in the way of WoW's progression. But why can't it exist alongside it? Give everyone what they want.

The main flaw of most private servers is that the population is not very high. But if Blizzard made official legacy servers, I'm sure a lot of people would play them. Hell, they might even get players who quit the game to come back.

What do you think? Would you play on official vanilla legacy servers if they announced them at Blizzcon?

I would play legacy servers personally, if I get bored of live during content drought I'd just swap to legacy.

I think it'd be great if they just did it how Runescape do it, subscribe and also get access to OSRS or in this case legacy WoW.

No, fuck everything about "legacy" servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd give them a try and probably never touch them after a week.

Would play them but not as much as live. I've played older MMOs and while they were fun I wouldn't want to go back to them full time.

If they did a Mists server I'd probably play on that since it was the most fun time for me personally.

Can't say I'd see the issue with Blizzard doing legacy but if they don't want to then it's their decision.

How the fuck did you manage to create a topic without "how the fuck" in the title?

Anyway, no. I'd rather not play a version of WoW full of circlejerking nostalgia-tards with nothing better to do than shit on the retail game "cuz memories."

Deleted
    Will these threads stop after the 1,8 millionth time?

Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    How the fuck did you manage to create a topic without "how the fuck" in the title?

Anyway, no. I'd rather not play a version of WoW full of circlejerking nostalgia-tards with nothing better to do than shit on the retail game "cuz memories."
    This. /10chars

Is this another Jay account? lol

Either way, yeah I'd check out a legacy server.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd play it for a day or two until I got super bored with all the grinding to try to get to level 60...since you could do every quest in the game and still not reach that level without massive grinding when it was new and live. Also would get super bored of having to run everywhere on foot until level 40 since you couldn't get mount training until then either.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

I'd definately play some classic WoW if it doesn't cost anything extra over the sub. I might make a PvP character on a WotLK server which would be my go-to server for just doing PvP.

Yes, I would love to roll on a lvl 60 server, if the Original Naxx (lvl 60) was there. It's the only one I never raided. Yes, I know, there is the lvl 80 version, but they made some significant changes from the lvl 60 to the lvl 80 one, and they had removed some very unique armor pieces that have never been reused. There is a bad assed Caster staff, a few trash drop Items like a mace, and a robe, plus some of the original frost resist gear was awesome, and well... Lets not forget Corrupted Ashbringer. Sure Pallies got a hidden Artifact appearance that was a tribute to it, but.... it's not the same. Lastly, Atiesh, the 1st ever Caster legendary weapon that was a short lived reminder that Kara... was going to be level 60 content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll probably get the same mileage I get out of private servers. Something fun to do if I want to explore older iterations of the game and take it slow and easy level-grinding. Likely wouldn't live on one as my main MMO focus, though.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Only way I would play legacy is if Blizzard themselves did host it so yes. I have played and put time into private servers only to have it closed and basically was a waste of time.

Deleted
    I'd play on one to experience everything I never experienced previously, as I began playing for real in MoP

Would love some new textures, animations and models tho.

Oh and also every spec being viable.

Why is vanilla better than retail again?

It would all depend on what version of "Legacy" you're referring to. If it were legitimately like previous official versions of WoW, absolutely. Blizzard has went on record before saying they would entertain the idea of level scaling older content with the ability to turn off certain perks, which is not my idea of "Legacy."

Yes, definitely. Even if I had to pay a separate sub, I'd play them.

The biggest issues with private servers are:

-lag / disconnects / high latency
    -lack of mod/GM action
    -bad scripting
    -not enough population
    -multiple language regions all being on the same server
    -tons of chinese players farming/botting everything
    -gold spam
    -risk of server shutting down at any time and losing all of your progress

Official servers would fix all of these problems. We would have lagless, disconnect-less servers with perfect 100% blizzlike scripting, 3-4k players on each realm, with lots of GMs to take action and stop botting, and it will all be official, so no worrying about the server getting C&D'd and having to go somewhere else and start all over again.

Another big issue is that the private server community is so fragmented, leading to 50+ servers all having low population...if there were official old-expac servers, we could have the entire community in one place, and have a plethora of nicely populated servers.

But really, I don't see it happening until retail WoW drops under 1mil or 500k subs. Launching a vanilla server now could be seen as Blizzard admitting they don't have faith in the newest expansion.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2017-10-22 at 05:26 PM.

If you had asked me when this whole movement started... I would've said no.

But now I am curious (I did not play in vanilla) to see the big differences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Vanilla? Probably not.

Whilst I’d love to see the old questlines I’d rather not deal with the frustration that was the Vanilla class design. Even if they redid all the old pre patch events I wouldn’t bother since the two from vanilla I’ve played were boring as fuck (Pre-TBC and Naxx 1).

Now TBC and Wrath I would definitely consider, though I’d want the option to transmog and have updated models active for those expansions, I know for a fact wrath’s version of the WoW engine can handle the WoD models and transmog. (Vanilla can too but the textures end up blurry).

It’d be nice to have the option for double, or even triple exp too, but I’d be less fussed about that since it’s non-cosmetic.